Help !! Galaxy S3 Freezing every few minutes. unresponsive.

SSGalili

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I realized the phone does not freeze even once while on flight mode. (For a long period of time)

I was thinking could it be maybe the sim cards fault?

If not would installing a complete new software help?

tim bowes

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I have to add an update to my earlier post....and it might be speaking too soon. But I have not had one crash since yesterday morning, that includes using wi-fi from 5pm through till 9am this morning. Bizarrely ever since I posted on here my phone has behaved itself. I haven't made any further tweeks to it either.

Maybe people are right and that the problem resolves itself by itself after a period of time (think I had been suffering from the problem for 5 days)......I am very sceptical of this given that I do have some knowledge of tech and that it's always caused by something.

Will no doubt be back to post here very soon regarding future crashes...

Gearoid O

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Same keeps happening to my S3. It just started this week. Keeps freezing whenever I try to do anything with it after a few minutes. I've tried everything I could think of. It's not rooted or anything and has the lastest firmware update. Treid factory reset and it even froze during that. So annoying I'm gonna send it back to Samsung and get them to fix it

Knutti

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem as everyone posted earlier.
I can't seem to find out why this is happening either. The phone is 7 months old and for me It started after updating to 4.1.2 before Christmas. I updated it again last week as a new update came out - but still no improvement. My phone tend to freeze in the evenings, and i pull the battery probably 6-7 times a day. I have noticed that if I delete recent photos and media to free up the storage I get a graze period of a couple of days. I think this is purely coincidental as I don't see why it should matter. But it works for me so until it's fixed i guess that is my remedy. Great if anyone else could try to see if that helps on their phones.

If anyone knows how to solve this - please post it on this forum.

It's a shame, because I really think it's an awesome phone ... and it's embarrassing as i've been slagging off iphones for months now.. ;-)

richo1973

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Agree with Betty_Boop245 - mine started 2 weeks ago with the exact same problems after 7months. Tried factory reset, wifi settings, etc... problems just come back! Mine went for repair last week

Send it to Samsung, its the only way to get it resolved. Messing around with facory resets, deleting stuff, and software flashing doesnt work.

djuk73

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I had the same freezing problem and tried everything on threads no joy so kept trying untill i found one about s voice disabled it via app manager and still froze disabled my sim code lock and s suggest and phone hasent frozen for 34hrs!!! Dunno if this is the fixbut its working for me

boyleyc

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
My s3 has been crashing for days now.

In another obscure thread I found someone having problems similar, anyway they said the fix was as follows:

Settings > DEVELOPER Settings > Turn off Transition and Animation Scale.

Previous to doing this my phone was crashing randomly, sometimes as soon as it was booting, holding power was the only way to fix. This happened after 4.1.2 upgrade

I posted this in another thread and It has been 2 days since the last crash happened.

Hope this solves your problems

Mr B

rynlpin

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
My s3 has been crashing for days now.

In another obscure thread I found someone having problems similar, anyway they said the fix was as follows:

Settings > DEVELOPER Settings > Turn off Transition and Animation Scale.

Previous to doing this my phone was crashing randomly, sometimes as soon as it was booting, holding power was the only way to fix. This happened after 4.1.2 upgrade

I posted this in another thread and It has been 2 days since the last crash happened.

Hope this solves your problems

Mr B

I have absolutely no idea what that setting does but since switching it off like you suggested, my whole OS just sped up tenfold. Hopefully it also fixes the crashes.

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You know these arw just coincidences. I went to check mine and it was off and it was always off. I never messed around with the developer section and still when it feels like my phone goes off so please keep us updated as to whether this is a long term solution.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

BaWBarmy

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know wether to be happy or sad. This freezing issue started yesterday for me. I have had the phone 6 months. Always on stock,never rooted and always updated on Kies.

Happy because I'm not the only one with the problem although maybe I should say relieved rather than happy, and sad because I have the problem at all.

Two things I have noticed that may not have been mentioned. On checking battery usage both Android OS and Android System have larger percentages than usual and secondly the phone ALWAYS freezes either on charge or immediately after charging.

Hope someone can help. I love my S3 but this is not good.

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes that happened to me too. I also noticed if I try to use the battery to the last drop and then I try charging it, it freezes so now as soon as I get the message 'connect to charger' I plug it in. For the past 4 days it was behaving.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

rynlpin

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I noticed (in my case) it seems to hang when my device tries to carry out a particular process. E.g. it hangs when Google Play notifies my to an upgrade to an app as the immediate moment after I restart, I'm often greeted with said notification in my notification bar. So I disabled this on Google Play which has helped somewhat as I noticed when I woke up this morning (to a fully functioning phone - wahoo) that there were two apps due for an update. Also sometimes when I click a link on Twitter (eg a YouTube video), it would hang when my phone tries to switch from Twitter to YouTube.

It also seems to occur in areas of low network coverage. Where I was working yesterday, my phone remained on GPRS throughout the day and had no bars most of the time and I found myself pulling my battery every 30-60 minutes.

But then I'm also experiencing it when I connect my charger and when I disconnect my charger like the guy said above.

Last edited:

betty_boop245

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Argh!! I really want to throw mine out the window now! Just had it returned from Samsung, supposedly fixed, and it won't even go past the Samsung boot up screen, I've tried it 3 times!! Its going straight back tomorrow, and this time, they are going to give me a replacement, so sick of this!!

stanoislav

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I have no answers, but want to provide information from my experience just in case it gives additional clues:
1. I have a Singapore phone. In general I update the firmware quite often, usually after the new one is posted on [Stock Official Firmwares] I9300XXEMR2 (4.1.2) - Germany (VD2) [07-02-13] - xda-developers. I always use Mobile Odin.
2. I was on I9300XXELL5 / Germany without any problems.
3. I've upgraded I9300XXELLA / UK and the freezing started. I lived with it for few days (pulling battery, rebooting, uninstalling applications, changing settings)
4. I've upgraded to I9300XXELLC / Spain without any improvements.
5. I've downgraded back to I9300XXELL5 / Germany. The freezing DID NOT stop immediately. It stopped after few days. I was on this build for 4 weeks without any freezing.
6. A week ago I've upgraded to I9300XXEMA2 / Singapore. The freezing came immediately back. I lived with it for half a day and then downgraded back to I9300XXELL5 / Germany. Again the freezing didn't stop immediately. But it stopped after a day or so. Now again I have a freezing-free phone.

Now I'm stuck with I9300XXELL5 / Germany but very happy with no freezing. For those of you that have no other options try the same firmware, give it few days - and maybe you will have the same good results. You won't be on the latest, but you will have a usable phone.

ajayrathore

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello Ali5anDro31,

Many users complain that their devices Freeze suddenly and after some time, it started normally. So in this case three things may happen--

First, it may be possible that your processor may not be able to bear the load of all the background and app processes etc.
Second, There may be viruses that cause extra load on the processor.
and last, there may be corrupted file with is taking more time to be processes..

So to clear this problem, just re-install android in your device..I hope it will work..

Thanks

BaWBarmy

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Well another day another question.

After becoming increasingly dejected about the freezing issue, I noticed last night that my phone had started behaving itself. I had done nothing except update the Google Now app. I charged the phone fully with no after effects i.e. freezing. The phone has definitely re-booted a couple of times because the uptime changes but the alarm worked this morning after leaving the phone by my bed for the night. I have been able receive e-mails, texts etc. One major thing I have noticed that fills me with confidence ... the Android OS is now taking up only 3% of my battery. Coincidence?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800