S3 Hanging ( freezing ) Problem Solved

mikkybkk

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
The dummy file program hangs and wont reopen. After filling the phones with dummy stuff, uninstalling the program and repeating countless of times (mostly whole day), it seems the phone actually is stable again. So was it worth it? I guess you need to calculate:

Daily salary * hassle
--------------------------- = was it worth it?
Cost of new phone

But yes, it works! Thanks, I guess! :)

Hecxa

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Having also the freezing problem with my S3. So far I have tested numerous ways trying to figure out what is causing the phone to freeze. Last time I have used the Dummy File Generator without the phone freezing while filling up the memory. My S3 never freezes or shuts down when I am doing something with it. It's always the same situation, the phone has not been used for a while and when trying to wake it up it's just blinking dimmed blue light slowly and the screen stays black. I need to reboot the phone by pressing power button for a few seconds.

I have had the phone for over two years now and I have always used the stock firmware. No rooting or anything. At the end of summer I received a phone software update and some weeks after that my S3 started to freeze. First I thought I had a bad battery and replaced it, but freezing continued. It was like once a day or two it froze.

Well then, yesterday I uploaded the firmware using Kies in hope to solve the problem some people have been suggesting on other forums. That went okay and the phone lived, but on the next morning, today, the phone was frozen again. Blue blinking and black screen. This time I went to recovery mode and made a reset once again for the phone (Factory defaults + data/cache wipe/clean). Well well, the phone starts normally as before but this time after the basic setup, the phone notifies that there is an software update available. This is just my speculation, but this is the update after I started to have issues so I am not going to install it as long as my phone is working ok.

Some notes now after using the phone today for more than twelve hours. It is working silky smooth and has not frozen since morning. So, this is
ongoing research if it is some kind of software update issue. If the phone is working from now on, It must be the update that messes up something. I am using the same applications as before.

One thing about the update I now have on the hold, there is no information what it does, no "release number" or anything I could check somewhere else what is improved in this update. I'll let you know if the phone freezes again or it just keeps going on like it did before.

Hecxa

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Having also the freezing problem with my S3. So far I have tested numerous ways trying to figure out what is causing the phone to freeze. Last time I have used the Dummy File Generator without the phone freezing while filling up the memory. My S3 never freezes or shuts down when I am doing something with it. It's always the same situation, the phone has not been used for a while and when trying to wake it up it's just blinking dimmed blue light slowly and the screen stays black. I need to reboot the phone by pressing power button for a few seconds.

I have had the phone for over two years now and I have always used the stock firmware. No rooting or anything. At the end of summer I received a phone software update and some weeks after that my S3 started to freeze. First I thought I had a bad battery and replaced it, but freezing continued. It was like once a day or two it froze.

Well then, yesterday I uploaded the firmware using Kies in hope to solve the problem some people have been suggesting on other forums. That went okay and the phone lived, but on the next morning, today, the phone was frozen again. Blue blinking and black screen. This time I went to recovery mode and made a reset once again for the phone (Factory defaults + data/cache wipe/clean). Well well, the phone starts normally as before but this time after the basic setup, the phone notifies that there is an software update available. This is just my speculation, but this is the update after I started to have issues so I am not going to install it as long as my phone is working ok.

Some notes now after using the phone today for more than twelve hours. It is working silky smooth and has not frozen since morning. So, this is
ongoing research if it is some kind of software update issue. If the phone is working from now on, It must be the update that messes up something. I am using the same applications as before.

One thing about the update I now have on the hold, there is no information what it does, no "release number" or anything I could check somewhere else what is improved in this update. I'll let you know if the phone freezes again or it just keeps going on like it did before.

Well then, the damn thing froze again...

Hecxa

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Well then, the damn thing froze again...

Ok then. This may be too early to report, but after latest try yesterday the S3 is still running without freezing nearly one full 24 hours.

This is something people may want to try:

1) Cache clean + reset to factory defaults
2) Only basic settings, no downloads from backup, S3 is "clean"
3) Using Kies to reupload latest firmare to the S3
4) Yet another cache clean + reset to factory defaults
5) Downloaded contacts and applications from the Samsung cloud backup

But ...

Not sure if that did the trick because I have done that before, but this time I made the firmware re-upload on a clean, factory defaulted phone. But, the true reason causing my S3 freezing may be the contacts list/file on the phone.

I have had some broken contacts on my list and have tried to remove/fix these using phone. Yesterday I did it succesfully using AirDroid. There were some contacts names like John Donuts named "John Don". I fixed them all via AirDroid. I suspect that because many applications today also go through your contacts, it may cause the freezing/crashing if the contacts list is corrupted somehow.

Hecxa

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok then. This may be too early to report, but after latest try yesterday the S3 is still running without freezing nearly one full 24 hours.

This is something people may want to try:

1) Cache clean + reset to factory defaults
2) Only basic settings, no downloads from backup, S3 is "clean"
3) Using Kies to reupload latest firmare to the S3
4) Yet another cache clean + reset to factory defaults
5) Downloaded contacts and applications from the Samsung cloud backup

But ...

Not sure if that did the trick because I have done that before, but this time I made the firmware re-upload on a clean, factory defaulted phone. But, the true reason causing my S3 freezing may be the contacts list/file on the phone.

I have had some broken contacts on my list and have tried to remove/fix these using phone. Yesterday I did it succesfully using AirDroid. There were some contacts names like John Donuts named "John Don". I fixed them all via AirDroid. I suspect that because many applications today also go through your contacts, it may cause the freezing/crashing if the contacts list is corrupted somehow.

Three days without freezing now... my solution so far (an ongoing test). I cannot post any links yet so copypaste this on to your browser: mastokangas.fi/samsung-galaxy-s3-random-freezing

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
After almost a week, my phone hanging is getting worse & has resumed its normal bad habbit. So today, I did another full dummy file generator process (this time it took me less than 15 min to complete the whole process with 2 hangs only). Will see how it goes now.

3 years later..
So did it worked for you? Please answer.

Ryan Olsen2

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
It's sad to report for the past one hour, my phone hang 3 times already. :(

I know this post is super old, but all those stock roms from carries come so loaded with crap, but thats not the worst part... they have stock governers that aren't tuned properly. they dont ramp up when needed, aka a hang and dont keep themselves at a nominal load to save batery.
of course the new phones are so fast it doesn't matter ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2