Issue: Samsung Galaxy S3 turning itself off / resetting automatically

TheRealWelshCJ

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Good Afternoon All,

I have had my S3 since release in the UK (network: Three UK) and I haven't had any issues with it.

Last Saturday, and everyday since, I go to look at my phone and the phone will have turned itself off and I am required to hold down the power button to turn it back on. I also occasionally here the reboot sound while I am working (which I take to mean it has rebooted itself). It appears to be happening more and more. This is proving to be a problem as I also use my phone as an alarm clock and ended up missing meeting someone Sunday morning as I over slept because the phone had turned itself off. :-\

I have had a browse of this forum, and some others, and I have done the usual: Hard Reset; Manual Reset; Cleared Cache on all apps; Removed any recently installed applications etc.

The only thing I haven't done is a factory reset, which I am hesitant to do because I have heard of some NFC issues when completing a factory reset.

If anyone has any further advice, or has noticed this themselves then I would appreciate hearing about it.

Many Thanks,

Chris.

ravemix

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Funny im in the same situation. over the last couple of weeks my S3 has been restarting and freezing and it was starting to get on my nerves. I did alot of research and decided to clear my phone and upgrade to the latest Jellybean 4.2.1 version. It seems of worked. But it does still freeze maybe once or twice a day. So it has improved but im now thinking of factory resetting also.

NwNcr

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Did you find any solution for this issue? I'm having the exact same thing, I did a factory reset already, it helped for a couple of weeks but then again here I am with this issue :(

DeeNan

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I had a similar problem and did a factory reset (by mistake) and seems to be working fine.

I would have the problem when using viber so maybe it has got to do with the application we are using at the moment?

I know it is tedious to reinput the data after a complete reset but what other choices do you have?

Hope this helped.

Good luck.

Steveanz

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Simular thing was happening to my phone, then I rooted it and it stopped rebooting. Made no other changes other than rooting it.

christopherrrrr

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Chris.

I have had a similar issue with my phone recently - it seems like it is relatively common.

The following things have worked for me: it has now been 48hrs since last freeze / reboot, and I haven't done any kind of reset.

* Reset app permissions - I don't know if this is related to the rebooting / freezing that I experienced, but I was also having big problems with Google Play Store (and this fixed those where other remedies like clearing App Caches didn't).

* Uninstall Facebook Messenger / remove unnecessary background applications - read a few threads suggesting this is a major culprit. I had Messenger, Viber, WhatsApp and Google Hangouts running in the background (all of which are hugely memory intensive), have reduced that to only Viber and WhatsApp.

* Switch 'Off' Location Services - I noticed my problems coincided with heavy usage of the new version of Google Maps. Since switching this off, no problems. I have a feeling this may be another real phone-drainer.

* Check 'Developer Settings' - I realised, for some reason, I had 'USB Debugging' switched on when I have never used it before. Hmmm.

Hopefully these might work for you, too.

Cheers,

Chris.

BenoitGdsp

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
"Switch 'Off' Location Services"
"Uninstall Facebook Messenger / remove unnecessary background applications"

So the solution to have this smartphone working properly is not to use it as a smartphone...
*sad*

anshul257

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
i am facing the same problem. i think there is something wrong in the hardware. Like the power button is being pressed but u are not doing it.. some hardware problem man. i think i would try opening mine and fixing it :'( . factory reset and the removing facebook messenger might not help

Chris Miller14

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem on my s3mini turned out to the case I bought it was putting pressure on the power button and rebooting the phone. I cut away the section around the power button and it fixed the problem

Posted via Android Central App on my s3 GT 19300

yovani umavassee

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you already solved your problem. But i was having the same issues and after reading various blogs and watching various videos suggesting factory reset and manual reboot among others. Came across this guy who said that it was a hardware problem with the power button. It somehow displaced and hindering the switching on. So he suggested to take the battery out and to smash your phone hard on the side where the power button is. It should be one hard hit and put your battery back on and wait for it to switch on. I tried it and it did work for my S3. Maybe it would for yours.

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I would try a full factory reset and then update to the latest OS before anything else. If that doesn't work return the phone if there's a hardware problem. There is no point in keeping hold of a faulty phone :-/

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Naska

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
since weeks i ahve turned off problem , I go to look at my phone and the phone will have turned itself and will not turned on since i remove the battery than put back the battery than it work

please help me if any one of you have experienced this issue

n0krashy

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem as Naska, the phone shutdowns automatically and it doesn't get back to life until I remove the battery and put it back.. (I bought the phone recently it didn't complete 2 months yet)

Miguel Gennaoui

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Wow!!!

I had the same problem with the " switch off " by itself and i smash it on the power side on my table and TADAM !

Working very good..............Seems that the power button was kinda block or something....?

Well working as brand new like before!

Thanks !!!!!!!!!

Casper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34