Won't charge from power bank

cfs6254

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi
So i just bought a power bank for my phone so i can recharge it during outdoor hiking trips where im not near a power socket for several days.

The problem is that my SGS3 wont recharge using that power source. I have tried another one and the same issue is with the other one.

When wired to a power socket it charges perfectly so its only when connected to a power bank that is a problem.

With the first power bank i tried, it didn't seem to charge at all. The new power bank which i just bought soes charge it but only for a few seconds.

Any clues what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Wont charge from power bank

sounds like the powerbank is not giving the phone the correct amount of power. that does not mean the bank is defective just not going to work with the s3. they can be finicky. the s2 will cause big issues so i would image the s3 as well.

cfs6254

May 30, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the answer. However, the same powerbank works fine with my 2 friends S3 phones. So i was wondering whether its a setting somewhere....or if a factory reset would solve the issue

cuek80

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Try to use different cable?
Did you try to reboot the phone first? I had experience similar like this before with my bb 9860. Rebooting the phone solve the problem, but not a fix solution. It will occur again.

Good luck

cfs6254

May 30, 2013
Visit site

I did try to reboot the phone. One if my friends has the same problem. It seems that some phones are just not that compatible With a power bank

sendt fra min Samsung galaxy S3 med Tapatalk2

cuek80

May 17, 2013
Visit site

If the power bank have more than 1 usb port, try the other one. Sometimes the ampherage is too high, or low for the phone to charge.
But i guess u already try that :p
Or try battery app? That can make the phone trickle charge or something. Not sure.

Ahmedmad

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
This situation , maybe have 2 reason ,. 1 . your power bank is not working 2. you misusing , maybe take the wrong adapter, hope can help you , any other questions, leave me a message

wilika87

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I guess that it's mostly a phone issue.
I have a Sony Xperia P. There are about 3 other Xperia P-s around in the office. All of them, and a few other devices charge fine from the powerbank. Even my phone does, when I don't need it that much (like when I have socket nearby). But while on the go and I really need it, it fails mostly. :(
I plug in the cable, the phone shows charging, but within a few seconds, the powerbank switches off, and that's all. First I thought it's the powerbank's issue. But it looks like the phone rejects the charge after a few seconds, making the powerbank to switch off. Rebooting doesn't help. I haven't tried reinstalling de phone yet, but since it's quite a new install (stock 4.1 ROM without rooting), I'd reject that option.

Kondao

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Is it because power bank output is only 1A? I know SGS4 original charger has output of 2A.
I'm facing the same problem here too.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is it because power bank output is only 1A? I know SGS4 original charger has output of 2A.
I'm facing the same problem here too.
Welcome to the forums!

1A should be adequate (the USB specification lists as little as 500mA) - it'll just take longer to charge with less than the maximum current.

Have you tried a different cable?
Does the power bank charge other devices?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

norbertsited

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I have tried several power banks, I have a samsung galaxy Note 2, for a couple of days I had charging issues after using a very cheap chinese power bank, I bought a dynex power bank (2200 mAh) and It is working like a charm, the other two cheap chinese PB are just a piece of crap, and a waste of money, try buying the dynex one at best buy, I bought one today and my phone is being charged with not problems, hope this is helpful to you.

greetings,
Norbertsited.

Abdullah Amer1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with my power bank, I plug it to the charging plug all the blue lights turns on, but when I take it out and I press the test button no lights go on...i open it there is no damage in the circuit, any advice??
10578410_10153027590404377_168.jpg

10580326_10153027590644377_169.jpg

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
i open it there is no damage in the circuit, any advice?
Are you really going to trust a company that can't spell 'dispose' correctly?
You just ignored Caution #2...

Anyway, sounds like you need to return it where you got it from - likely a defective unit.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Claudine Roxas

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
My powerbank wouldnt chrge also. My phone is sony. I tried charging my ipad and my other phones, it didnt charge. I tried charging a samsung phone. It seems like its the only phone it charges. What might be the problem? My powerbank is 20,000 mAh

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
What might be the problem?
Did you buy a well known brand of power bank? Did it have good reviews? Can you post a link to the one that you purchased?

Assuming that it has different amperage output ports, have you tried them both?

Have you tried using a different cable than the one that came with it?

dubbyluv

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
i also have a galaxy note 2, and my 5600 mah power bank would only charge for one second, and then stop. i switched usb/micro usb cable to my charger cable, and it works fine. so, the powerbank problems are more likely the cable, not the unit itself.

Shower Chan

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I newly bought a 12000 mAh power bank. It charges my iPad, my wife galaxy s3, iPhone 3gs perfectly but not my galaxy s3. I swap with 4 cables I have but it just stop charge after raised 2 percent.

After all type of testing. It was because of the battery i used was not original. I changed to a 3100mAh battery a while back for better battery capacity.

I swap back to original 2100mAh Samsung battery and the power bank is now working perfectly.

Hope this help.