Photo quality on Cyanogenmod relative to original Touchwiz

kmester

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to find a proper comparison of photo quality on SGS3 running Cyanogenmod compared to Touchwiz. Neither here or elsewhere. Most people make remarks about the different layouts of the respective camera apps - but nobody mentions photo quality except for a passing remark on reduced quality in low light. Does anyone have any thoughts on photo quality?

I specifically bought my SGS3 for the quality of the photos and video - compared to the Nexus 4 - and have been under the impression that Samsung's developers have made some specific changes to their version of Android to make the camera among other things perform better than on stock Android. On the other hand, I'm getting more and more frustrated with the menu lags on my Samsung rom (My phone freezes for a couple of seconds every time I go from phone to contacts tab). I'd also like to move on up to a newer and cleaner Android version.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated before I set aside time for Cyanogenmod.
Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been able to find a proper comparison of photo quality on SGS3 running Cyanogenmod compared to Touchwiz. Neither here or elsewhere. Most people make remarks about the different layouts of the respective camera apps - but nobody mentions photo quality except for a passing remark on reduced quality in low light. Does anyone have any thoughts on photo quality?

I specifically bought my SGS3 for the quality of the photos and video - compared to the Nexus 4 - and have been under the impression that Samsung's developers have made some specific changes to their version of Android to make the camera among other things perform better than on stock Android. On the other hand, I'm getting more and more frustrated with the menu lags on my Samsung rom (My phone freezes for a couple of seconds every time I go from phone to contacts tab). I'd also like to move on up to a newer and cleaner Android version.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated before I set aside time for Cyanogenmod.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forums.
I don't spend much time with the camera on any of my phones, but I did shift my S3 (when I had it) from TW to SlimROM (AOSP like Cyanogen) and did notice a slight picture difference. The quality seemed to lower, but I don't know if that was me psyching myself out or not.

As for shifting ROMs, are your rooted with a custom recovery?

And this might help your lag issue: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html
Follow the instructions and clear cache.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'll take a look at clearing the cache. I haven't rooted or anything further - only disabled the Samsung apps that the stock Samsung rom allowed me to disable.

OK. A recovery is a must for flashing ROMs.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

kmester

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Installed CyanogenMod 10.2 M1 and photo quality appears to be worse than I expected from reading other people's experiences around the web.

I tried the focal app but it did non seem to make a difference.

Can I somehow install parts of the Samsung ROM in my CyanogenMod in order to improve the camera?

Or should I just admit defeat and return to slow touchwiz with its fine camera driver...?

Jlav78

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
You might be able to upload the camera and gallery to dropbox and sideload the camera and gallery onto the phone again

Posted via Android Central App on my nexus 4

kmester

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering how this turned out. I'm in a similar dilemma. Were you able to sideload the Samsung camera and gallery apps?
Haven't tried sideloading. I don't know how to do it and haven't gotten around to looking into it, instead I'm probably just going to revert back to original Samsung OS etc. before needing my camera again.
Camera quality has improved with 10.2.0, though, but it's still lacking behind Samsung's own software. Also, no HDR.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan