Default Reminder Time Setting Removed?!

James Lightfoot

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Why would google removed the Default Reminder Time setting in Jellybean 4.3?

Samsung told me huge numbers of people are contacting them about this. Why would they REMOVE a basic feature in an update?

For people who set several reminders a day this is intolerable.

Any info?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you talking about entering a new event in the Calendar app? Personally, I prefer not having it default to a having a reminder, because many times I just want to enter an event into the Calendar without having it bing at me for every event. Isn't it simply an issue of remembering to set a Reminder while entering the event?

James Lightfoot

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
No, the option of changing the default time of the reminder has been removed for no reason.

You would still have to set the reminder, but now you have to set the reminder AND the length of the reminder. Why not return this feature? What is gained by removing it?

user14332

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the same question with you (a different cellphone though). Has this indeed been done by Samsung or it's a general Android change?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the same question with you (a different cellphone though). Has this indeed been done by Samsung or it's a general Android change?

Welcome to Android Central! On my various Android devices (Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer TF300), adding an event in Google Calendar gives me a default notification scheduled for 10 minutes before the event. I always have to remember to turn it off before I finish entering the event, since I usually don't need the notification. So it sounds like it's more of a Samsung thing.

Posted via Android Central App

user14332

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

Thanks. :)

On my various Android devices (Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer TF300), adding an event in Google Calendar gives me a default notification scheduled for 10 minutes before the event.

Well, for me (and for James Lightfoot from what i've understood), the problem is not that it inserts a default reminder (which in my case it doesn't - you have to do it manually) but that the default reminder interval is not configurable any more. In the previous version of Android (4.1.2), you could configure the default interval (10 minutes, 15 minutes, 0 minutes, etc), now you can't.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Very strange. On my Nexus 5 running 4.4.2, I can easily change the Event Notification time when entering a new event. This is using Google Calendar. Maybe it's a Samsung issue.

Posted via Android Central App