Samsung S3 external power pack problem

Jamesb1974

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

first post on here and I wonder if someone might be able to help me. I currently have a Samsung S3 Gt-I9300 which I am very happy with. It is running the latest 4.3 Jellybean firmware, but I have a strange problem with an external power pack.

My job means that I need to carry an external power pack with me as I cannot regularly get to charging points, so I purchased a TeckNet iEP387 Powerbank. This is a 7000mHa Li-on battery pack with two external USB ports to charge devices from.

The powerpack charges my wifes iPhone 4S, my Samsung tab 10.1 and the kids Tesco Hudl tablet just fine. However, when I connect it to my S3 it does nothing. The powerpack is working, as it charges my other devices, but with the S3 there is no charge to the battery. The 'lightning flash' in the battery symbol doesn't appear and when I enter the settings and check the battery usage, the status shows that the battery is not charging either.

My S3 charges fine on the standard mains charger and connects to my PC to use KIES 3 etc, so I know that the USB port is also working. It also charges from my PCs USB port!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be? I have eliminated it being both the powerpack and the USB port/cable, so the fault must be with the handset? :confused:

Thanks, James.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

first post on here and I wonder if someone might be able to help me. I currently have a Samsung S3 Gt-I9300 which I am very happy with. It is running the latest 4.3 Jellybean firmware, but I have a strange problem with an external power pack.

My job means that I need to carry an external power pack with me as I cannot regularly get to charging points, so I purchased a TeckNet iEP387 Powerbank. This is a 7000mHa Li-on battery pack with two external USB ports to charge devices from.

The powerpack charges my wifes iPhone 4S, my Samsung tab 10.1 and the kids Tesco Hudl tablet just fine. However, when I connect it to my S3 it does nothing. The powerpack is working, as it charges my other devices, but with the S3 there is no charge to the battery. The 'lightning flash' in the battery symbol doesn't appear and when I enter the settings and check the battery usage, the status shows that the battery is not charging either.

My S3 charges fine on the standard mains charger and connects to my PC to use KIES 3 etc, so I know that the USB port is also working. It also charges from my PCs USB port!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be? I have eliminated it being both the powerpack and the USB port/cable, so the fault must be with the handset? :confused:

Thanks, James.

I know my HTC One X will not charge if the voltage is too high. Although the phone's battery should have some sort of power management. So the ports are just standard USB?

Jamesb1974

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. It has two USB ports and both are rated at 5 volts. However, the current for each is different. One is 2.1 amps and the other is 1.0 amps. The website blurb and handbook say that the device is suitable for Sammy S2, S3 and S4.

James

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. It has two USB ports and both are rated at 5 volts. However, the current for each is different. One is 2.1 amps and the other is 1.0 amps. The website blurb and handbook say that the device is suitable for Sammy S2, S3 and S4.

James

And it doesn't work with either port? Have you tried different usb cables?

Jamesb1974

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi, yes does not work on either port and I have tried three different cables. Interestingly, my phone will only connect to a the standard charger and my PC with the original Samsung cable and not the aftermarket ones. Could this be part of the problem?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, yes does not work on either port and I have tried three different cables. Interestingly, my phone will only connect to a the standard charger and my PC with the original Samsung cable and not the aftermarket ones. Could this be part of the problem?

The cable could be the problem. Have you tried doing a complete reboot before charging the phone?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Paul Sewell

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I've have today purchased a power pack with a USB charger and I too have found it will charge my IPad but will NOT charge my Samsung Galaxy S3.

Last edited:

Paul Sewell

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I think I've found the answer elsewhere. Plug phone into the charger BEFORE turning the charger on. When charger is turned on, phone screen lights up and it says 'charging'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech