Story of how I've nearly killed my S3.

Conor Fearon

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I got my S3 in November in 2012. At the time I thought WOW, this is just the bomb. The android OS was more open than my previous iPhone 4 which had a rather dull linear iOS, the 720p resolution blew my mind! Everything screamed at me and was telling me what a great investment I had made, but one factor I missed was build quality, and my own stupidity coming from the iPhone which could take a beating if it had a good silicone case and screen protector.

Anyway, in July of last year I forgot my charger at a mates house, "ROOKIE MISTAKE! YOU *****! WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST GO GET IT!?" I know I know, that was just pure laziness. So instead of my Samsung charger which shipped with the phone I had to use the charger from the lower end Samsung devices (Galaxy Young) to be precise. Thing was the charger was broken, I in my stupidity wriggled it around eventually getting a charge when the cable was faced forward. Now this is where it gets messed up and yes I probably broke the charge port. Anyway after noticing that the phone was depleting battery life even when plugged into a wall (I checked the volts using an app to make sure it had enough, surely it was getting the juice it needed) I decided to send it back under warranty, Samsung sent it back declaring it had been fixed Blah Blah Blah! In my excitement I decided to delve into the world of rooting and installing custom ROMs (I will root but never install a custom ROM again, still the experience is valuable I guess) as my android hunger grew. I then noticed that it started happening again depletion of battery life while plugged into the wall (I was back on the stock charger by this point) .. My first thought was to go back to stock Touchwiz. Still didn't help. I've tried various chargers and wall outlets and it just doesn't change anything. The past 6 months has been a nightmare for my girlfriend and I because this thing dies when I need it most. My question for you guys is... Apart form my obliterated charge port .. What else is going on with this phone (noob at volts and batteries)

Any questions or answers you may have will be greatly appreciated. With the imminent arrival of the Galaxy S5 tomorrow I will he hoping to upgrade ASAP ... I will take care of the next device no matter what the build quality... This time a good wireless charger will have to be put in place the ones that turn off when the phone is fully charged. Anyway if you made it this far thanks a million for reading my first post. I'll be sure to update any more things that go wrong. I'm expecting the battery to melt any day now haha.

Sent from Galaxy SIII GT-i9300

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I got my S3 in November in 2012. At the time I thought WOW, this is just the bomb. The android OS was more open than my previous iPhone 4 which had a rather dull linear iOS, the 720p resolution blew my mind! Everything screamed at me and was telling me what a great investment I had made, but one factor I missed was build quality, and my own stupidity coming from the iPhone which could take a beating if it had a good silicone case and screen protector.

Anyway, in July of last year I forgot my charger at a mates house, "ROOKIE MISTAKE! YOU *****! WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST GO GET IT!?" I know I know, that was just pure laziness. So instead of my Samsung charger which shipped with the phone I had to use the charger from the lower end Samsung devices (Galaxy Young) to be precise. Thing was the charger was broken, I in my stupidity wriggled it around eventually getting a charge when the cable was faced forward. Now this is where it gets ****ed up and yes I probably broke the charge port. Anyway after noticing that the phone was depleting battery life even when plugged into a wall (I checked the volts using an app to make sure it had enough, surely it was getting the juice it needed) I decided to send it back under warranty, Samsung sent it back declaring it had been fixed Blah Blah Blah! In my excitement I decided to delve into the world of rooting and installing custom ROMs (I will root but never install a custom ROM again, still the experience is valuable I guess) as my android hunger grew. I then noticed that it started happening again depletion of battery life while plugged into the wall (I was back on the stock charger by this point) .. My first thought was to go back to stock Touchwiz. Still didn't help. I've tried various chargers and wall outlets and it just doesn't change anything. The past 6 months has been a nightmare for my girlfriend and I because this thing dies when I need it most. My question for you guys is... Apart form my obliterated charge port .. What else is going on with this phone (noon at volts and batteries)

Any questions or answers you may have will be greatly appreciated. With the imminent arrival of the Galaxy S5 tomorrow I will he hoping to upgrade ASAP ... I will take care of the next device no matter what the build quality... This time a good wireless charger will have to be put in place the ones that turn off when the phone is fully charged. Anyway if you made it this far thanks a million for reading my first post. I'll be sure to update any more things that go wrong. I'm expecting the battery to melt any day now haha.

Welcome to Android Central :)
Have you tried another battery? The capacity of the original one depletes after a few hundred charge cycles. Or even a larger capacity, third-party battery?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Conor Fearon

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks dude :D No I have not tried it and to be honest I probably should have Haha! I just feel I have screwed with this thing too much already. But I guess I could invest in one, I hear that the ones off amazon or eBay can be flimsy. Is this true?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Battery depletion while charging? Sounds like it must be a bad connection at the port. Can you send it in again for the same issue? Samsung would not stick you with a lemon right?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks dude :D No I have not tried it and to be honest I probably should have Haha! I just feel I have screwed with this thing too much already. But I guess I could invest in one, I hear that the ones off amazon or eBay can be flimsy. Is this true?

Your carrier should replace your stock battery for free. Samsung acknowledged that there were a lot of faulty batteries, so that's worth a try.
Third party batteries like ZeroLemon or Anker are pretty reliable

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I would also toggle the port connection and watch the notification panel to see if it is connecting intermittently. If so, that would need attention. Just a thought and good luck.

Shelter7

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Your carrier should replace your stock battery for free. Samsung acknowledged that there were a lot of faulty batteries, so that's worth a try.
Third party batteries like ZeroLemon or Anker are pretty reliable

I don`t know how you feel about Anker, but for me was a little bit disappointing, so I would recommend Zerolemon as reliabe external battery. Officially, the carrier should replace it for free, but this seldom happens, at least in my country. You have to issue a petition on a local Customer Protection authority to see something happening

Conor Fearon

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Update: I have ordered a flimsy battery off of eBay just to test the waters, to be honest I don't see the need in buying those batteries when I'm going to upgrade to the S5 soon. What about that conference though short and sweet. To be honest I know you guys probably won't find it a giant leap, but from an SIII it should be something sweet... What do you guys think?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Update: I have ordered a flimsy battery off of eBay just to test the waters, to be honest I don't see the need in buying those batteries when I'm going to upgrade to the S5 soon. What about that conference though short and sweet. To be honest I know you guys probably won't find it a giant leap, but from an SIII it should be something sweet... What do you guys think?

Glad you're not hating on it like everyone else seems to be. Definitely a big improvement over the S3. I'd upgrade if I were you.
I'm not disappointed, but I'm not amazed either. I wasn't planning on getting the S5, and I still don't :p

Conor Fearon

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
No hate for Samsung having seen lack of innovation in iOS I'm not surprised, to be honest I think the Note line is actually becoming the innovator in tech these days :p An upgrade is imminent don't worry it may take a while since part time jobs in Ireland are hard to find these days but I'll get there, I am a quite active person so I may pick up a bundle with the Gear Fit also :D

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No hate for Samsung having seen lack of innovation in iOS I'm not surprised, to be honest I think the Note line is actually becoming the innovator in tech these days :p An upgrade is imminent don't worry it may take a while since part time jobs in Ireland are hard to find these days but I'll get there, I am a quite active person so I may pick up a bundle with the Gear Fit also :D

Yeah, that combo along with the heart rate sensor is really cool :cool:

Conor Fearon

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I can't wait to see what Knox will bring tomorrow I'm quite intrigued. Anyway I've watched my fair share of reviews on it time to go to bed the joys of school in the morning night lads

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I can't wait to see what Knox will bring tomorrow I'm quite intrigued. Anyway I've watched my fair share of reviews on it time to go to bed the joys of school in the morning night lads

I just got out of school lol
I am proud to be Knox-free. Hopefully it doesn't cause as many headaches as it already has

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20