Galaxy S3: Phone is dead (help me please before I cry)

onefreeinternet

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
/:I grr..

Yet another dead Galaxy s3 thread:

I'm at my wit's end and am in no way ready to buy a new phone, so I'm not surrendering without a fight. I need your help in fixing this.

Getting straight to the point, some facts.

1. My phone was bought in late August 2012. I live in Trinidad and Tobago, so obviously this is an international model. I have purchased the phone directly from my carrier, bmobile.co.tt . It came with a 1 year warranty.

1.5: My phone has had trouble charging for the past 6- 8 months or so; a condition that turned from mildly irritating to totally disabling. It would charge but reeeeealllllyyyyy slowly. I used Charging Current Lite and it would indicate that at various times it would charge anywhere between 1 and 400 when it should be, and has displayed 999 when it used to charge well. I thought it was the cord so I bought a brand new OEM cord. The problem persisted.

2. I carried my phone to a well known mobile repair store. The person who took my phone to repair told me the charging port needed replacing. At that time the phone was working fine, and was at about 3%. The only issue was the charging.

3. After I returned an hour later, he changed the charging port and told me my phone had lost all charge, and now would not turn on at all. Not a boot screen, not a vibe, nothing. Just a black, dead, brick.

4. The red LED charge indicator did not light up. The usual gray battery notification did not show. Not even a low voltage signal to the LED, where the screen turns slightly greyer than black. It did not vibrate. It was dead, completely. We tried a number of different solutions that took me over 3 hours standing there and waiting till it got dark.

- a: we tried charging a brand new battery and putting it into the phone. Nothing.
- b: we tried charging the original battery and the new battery with a universal charger, each 20 minutes of charge, and tried each battery with the phone. Nothing.
- c: we tried charging the phone with different chargers, then the OEM charger, with each battery inside. Nothing. I have tried this with sim card out, sim card in, sd card out, sd card in. Really, I've fiddled with everything I could do externally, tested every variable. It is GONE.

He assured me that he fixes phones like mine every single day and I believe him, I see it myself, and in the past he replaced my entire phone casing and LED, and did a good job. He suggested that I should let him keep it overnight and would go home and try to fix it for the next day. I consented, and left the phone with him again for another day.

The next day after waiting for him to arrive at the store for hours, his response was 'epic failure' and left the phone in the store with the other clerks, and went somewhere, obviously frustrated that my phone was now completely killed. Their dismissive attitudes about my now completely dead, totally costly phone made me angry. Their excuse for consolation was "don't stress yourself darling we can give you a discount on a new S4.". I don't know but it's pretty stressful to have all your data stuck on something you paid a lot for and left in their care in good working condition and ended up more damaged than it arrived. And NO, I'm not buying a bloody s4. At least not from them.

I'm not blaming him totally for my phone dying of course, I know sometimes unfortunate things happen when you have to deal with other people's stuff, and I was not there with him to see what truly did happen, but I am a lot more than disappointed with him and with his entire shop, mostly because no one seemed to give a rat's that my phone was killed under their supervision. I came to fix a charging problem and in return got a dead phone. clearly upset, and still upset, I paid for the new charging port, did not pay for the service, and put my brick in my bag and drove home.

Now I want to know if there's anything I can do to fix it myself, where do I start? I have experience fixing computers but not mobile devices. But I can follow instructions and am willing to try my hand at repairing my own phone. I am hoping it's not a board issue, as it means it'd cost me more to fix it than to simply just buy a new phone. Can someone guide me through fixing this?

Last edited by a moderator:

onefreeinternet

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Yet another dead S3 forum thread (help me please before I cri)

Some more information:

I'm going through threads and trying some suggestions, nothing works. Just tried spending a bit leaving it plugged in but without the battery in. Still dead brick. Tried connecting it to this PC and it's been 20 minutes - still dead brick. :(

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Yet another dead S3 forum thread (help me please before I cri)

Sorry to say it sounds like the shop broke your phone and now wants to scam you to buy a new one. Either you get them to repair it for free or you going to end up buying a new one.

newandroidguy

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
So sorry to hear this happened to you. It is very upsetting to have to go through this. My sympathises. This seems like a hardware issue to meet.

Posted via Android Central App

onefreeinternet

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Just great! Sigh.. Is there nothing at all I can try to do to repair this? ! It's already a brick, I might as well try to unbrick it right? Thanks for the condolences guys, just hoping I can get it fixed :(