Galaxy S3: Motherboard replaced, phone rooted, now what?

Frisp

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,
Serious apologies if this is really easy to solve and sort out but I'm an absolute noob and don't know what I'm doing.

I'm a British Expat living in Malaysia and bought my phone out here at a SAMSUNG shop in January 2013. It completely died 4 weeks ago and i found out it was the motherboard. Got this changed in a small phone shop because SAMSUNG said they couldn't do it/ I should wait and buy the new S5. The Phone works fine now with the new motherboard, only problem is... it's rooted and so won't update from Jellybean 4.1.2.
Have been traipsing through the internet to find a solution to this as i don't really need it to be rooted, I like technology... it just doesn't like me back so I'd rather not risk bricking my phone by having it rooted and just stick to the normal settings- Yes, I'm a chicken- Really, i just want my old phone back.

I've checked the 'download'screen and it says:
Custom Binary Download: Yes (3 counts)
Current Binary: Custum
System Status: Custum

It has CWM Manager on it and it did have Super SU on there till i uninstalled it when i first turned it back on cos i had no idead what it was (Still don't) and didn't know my phone had been rooted. Did they have to root it because it wasn't done by SAMSUNG? I can't go back to the shop because it's in KL and i live 2 hours north of there, also there's the language barrier as they speak Mandarin and i unfortunately don't :)

Any advice/ help would be much appreciated :D If there is a way around it, that lets me update to the new version of jellybean and still remain rooted then that's fine by me. It's out of warranty anyway so i don't mind it being rooted. I just don't like the way my phone looks or works at the moment.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Motherboard replaced, phone rooted, now what?

Hi All,
Serious apologies if this is really easy to solve and sort out but I'm an absolute noob and don't know what I'm doing.

I'm a British Expat living in Malaysia and bought my phone out here at a SAMSUNG shop in January 2013. It completely died 4 weeks ago and i found out it was the motherboard. Got this changed in a small phone shop because SAMSUNG said they couldn't do it/ I should wait and buy the new S5. The Phone works fine now with the new motherboard, only problem is... it's rooted and so won't update from Jellybean 4.1.2.
Have been traipsing through the internet to find a solution to this as i don't really need it to be rooted, I like technology... it just doesn't like me back so I'd rather not risk bricking my phone by having it rooted and just stick to the normal settings- Yes, I'm a chicken- Really, i just want my old phone back.

I've checked the 'download'screen and it says:
Custom Binary Download: Yes (3 counts)
Current Binary: Custum
System Status: Custum

It has CWM Manager on it and it did have Super SU on there till i uninstalled it when i first turned it back on cos i had no idead what it was (Still don't) and didn't know my phone had been rooted. Did they have to root it because it wasn't done by SAMSUNG? I can't go back to the shop because it's in KL and i live 2 hours north of there, also there's the language barrier as they speak Mandarin and i unfortunately don't :)

Any advice/ help would be much appreciated :D If there is a way around it, that lets me update to the new version of jellybean and still remain rooted then that's fine by me. It's out of warranty anyway so i don't mind it being rooted. I just don't like the way my phone looks or works at the moment.

Cheers

I've never replaced a mother board before, but from what I understand root access is needed to configure the hardware, etc. So that answers why your device came back to you rooted.
SuperSU is a root app/program that helps manage your rooted apps. I rarely use it, but many apps that require root often act through this app.

Being rooted isn't so bad, it opens up more options for customizing your device that launchers just can't do. But I am curious as to how the device looks different. Root access doesn't really alter how the ROM looks.

Frisp

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Hmmm, maybe it's just me, lol, as i know it's been played around with, it might just be me that it looks different to :)
Thanks for explaining ^ to me, it all makes a lot more sense now. I don't mind it being rooted to be fair, I use google docs and such for work and so was always told to keep Jellybean updated because they're always introducing slightly new things on there so was wanting to update to 4.3 for that and the little tweaks that make it seem smoother, more than anything else. Now I'm wondering if it's worth all the hassle of unrooting and to just leave it be :)

Cheers

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

If you really want to unroot/update to 4.3, there's a couple of ways to do it:
1. Use the Samsung Kies software (you'll need v2.6) to reload the stock firmware. Once you have the stock firmware running you should be able to update via the OTA (or Kies) to 4.3.
2. Use a tool called Odin to flash the 4.3 firmware directly.

Oh, and you could also keep the phone rooted and load a special version of 4.3 firmware.

Once you decide what you'd like to do let us know.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad