Some months ago my Galaxy S3 fell down with the headphones plugged in, and the headphones' plug twisted. I straightened the plug. Since that day I was able to listen to music with those headphones only if I turned the plug many times into the jack. I thought the problem was the headphones' plug, because my stereo worked perfectly connected to my phone with an aux cable. I lost my headphones and bought brand new ones. If use them or any other ones I've tried, I hear a really distorted sound and the volume is a lot lower than before (to hear at a normal loudness I must increase the volume to 15, while before 5 was enough). Though my stereo works perfectly. I also tried to use the same male-male aux cable plugged into a stereo (worked) and into an headset which needs an external cable (didn't work! The same cable!). How can I fix this problem? Thank you.
    10-21-2014 07:18 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Compare the plugs for the headphones and the aux cable, side by side. Are they exactly the same, with the contact bands in the exact same positions?
    10-21-2014 11:03 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Compare the plugs for the headphones and the aux cable, side by side. Are they exactly the same, with the contact bands in the exact same positions?
    I've tried the same cable once plugged into my headset and my phone (didn't work) and once plugged into my stereo and my phone (worked). So I think the problem is not based on the cable.
    10-21-2014 01:44 PM
    The reason I suggest comparing the plugs is that if the contact bands are slightly offset, then a minor alteration in the headphone jack (i.e., from damage) might be enough to cause problems with one but not the other.
    10-21-2014 02:50 PM
    Thank you, but the same plug works if plugged into a stereo but doesn't if plugged into an headset. And I can't explain this!
    10-21-2014 04:28 PM
    Any idea?
    10-23-2014 07:50 AM
    I'm sorry to be repetitive, but I just want to make sure--did you actually compare the plugs side by side? I'm just wondering if there's any offset of those contact bands.
    10-23-2014 10:42 AM
    I'm sorry to be repetitive, but I just want to make sure--did you actually compare the plugs side by side? I'm just wondering if there's any offset of those contact bands.
    The headphones' plug has 3 bands (1 for the buttons I think) and the one of the aux cable has 2 bands. The headphones' plug bands aren't offset (as they're brand new), also I've checked 5 different headphones (all work with if connected to my pc, and their plugs' bands aren't offset) and they do not work with my phone. Thank you.
    10-23-2014 11:35 AM
    Sounds like you damaged the headphone jack when you dropped the phone with a headset plugged in. You could try http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerc...ement-service/ or just order the part and DIY.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    10-24-2014 05:17 PM
    Sounds like you damaged the headphone jack when you dropped the phone with a headset plugged in.
    I though it too, but then why does the stereo work with my phone?
    10-25-2014 04:24 AM
    Are you getting a true stereo signal (left and right channels) when you connect to the stereo receiver, or are you getting a mono signal (both left and right channels playing the same content)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    10-26-2014 01:35 AM
    Are you getting a true stereo signal (left and right channels) when you connect to the stereo receiver, or are you getting a mono signal (both left and right channels playing the same content)?

It's a true stereo signal.
    Thank you.
    10-26-2014 05:24 AM
    Could it be a sound card problem instead?
    10-28-2014 03:31 AM
    There are sound chips on the mainboard but it's unlikely that you could do anything about it if that were the case. I'd still vote for the headphone jack (despite your comment about the AUX cable to the stereo working fine).
    11-05-2014 07:21 PM