Bluetooth headset not controlling music player

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Sometime ago, I had a Samsung HS3000 headset and I could stop/start/pause/rewind/forward the standard music player.

I then lost it (no idea how) and about a month later, I purchased another one. This one will not do some actions. I can play music through the headset and I can press the talk button to call the last number I called before and the volume controls work. But not the play/pause/rewind/fast forward etc.

I have tried rebooting the phone. It's running the standard Android 4.3 and I have NOT rooted the phone.

I also have a Sony SBH50 headset and that has the same issues.

Anyone got any ideas?

regards

Alan

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I will try that.
But, I also tried pairing it to my wifes Galaxy S3 and that does the same thing. Volume works, but music controls don't. Does anyone have a BT headset on an unmodified S3 where the music controls work?

Alan

Alan

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I tried both the suggestions (deleting the BT device and clearing system cache) and it doesn't make any difference.

Next thing, I guess is a complete wipe of the device. After that, I give up.

Alan

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
A complete wipe has cured it. Now I need to add things back until it fails again.

One thing I just realised. The device was encrypted - which I did sometime in September. I wonder......

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
It's the encryption. I had to encrypt the device to allow my corporate email through. That has broken the BT music controls.

How do I fix that?

Alan

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's very interesting--I've never encountered that before, so I'll have to file this tidbit of data away in my memory bank.

Perhaps encrypting your device blocks certain Bluetooth commands as an intended security measure, or as an unintended side effect of the increased security. My guess is that you can't really fix it, but you could try contacting Samsung support.

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Update. I tried it on a non-Samsung phone which is encrypted and that works fine. So, it's either an S3 issue or a Samsung issue. Could be the BT stack being interfered with somehow?

Is there anything I can do to try and test out things? I'm OK to root the phone if needed (I'm sure the instructions are around here somewhere)

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae