Galaxy S3 Microphone problem/question

Le Widget

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
hey guys,

Received a call but they couldn't hear me. Think the Microphone may be faulty. I opened my phone and noticed there's another microphone at the top of the phone too.

i loaded video recorder and recorded a video with audio, and it worked, so I recorded another video, this time blocking the bottom Mic with my finger and talking into the top mic. It worked. Then blocking the top mic and talking into the bottom.. did not record audio.

Can anyone confirm, is the bottom Mic dedicated to voice calls only or should I be able to record audio through either Mic on the phone ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It sounds like your primary mic is either broken, or the opening is completely blocked, perhaps by debris. The mic opening at the top of the phone is the secondary or noise-cancelling mic. When you're on a call, it acts as a noise-cancelling mic. If you're on speakerphone, it typically acts as the speakerphone mic, so see if people can hear you on speakerphone. When you record a video, I think both mics are used for stereo recording.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Use a pointed wooden toothpick, a magnifying glass and a strong light. Look in the bottom mic hole and if you see any dust or hair, gently pull it out with the toothpick. (A pin will also work if you have very sensitive fingers and can tell if you've touched the mic - touch is about the most pressure you should put on it, or the pin could punch through the end of the mic and destroy it.)

Le Widget

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback :)

just an update, the USB port looked bad/oxidized so I ended up soldering a new port in and just replacing the Microphone.

That worked good, Phone was able to charge and access data via USB, and new mic could record audio :)... but still no voice audio (sorry, didn't get to test top mic and speakerphone).

I decided to Re-flash the official Firmware for the phone.. and huzzah.. all good :), both Mic (record and voice) and USB seem ok now. :)