Gmail app crashing. Samsung Tab A 10.1 2019

RonSH

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Is this a common problem ... go to Reply to an inbox email and the app crashes. Forwarding is OK as is New Mail.

I have cleared Data/Cache and rebooted etc but the issue persists and you cannot delete and reinstall this app.

RonSH

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for your inputs. I will investigate. From what I can find out, this pre-installed Gmail app is one of a number that are not meant to be removed. I assume that if I use Safe Mode I can easily reinstall app and reconnect to my Google Account.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Safe Mode only temporarily disables 3rd party apps you installed, not any of the ones that came preinstalled. Your Google account remains associated with the device during Safe Mode, and preinstalled Google apps like Gmail should still work.

RonSH

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Yes, safe Mode understood thanks. But I am looking to remove the Gmail app from my tab and reinstall again from Play Store in the hope that the newly installed app will behave as designed ... wouldn't removal of this app from my tab also remove my Google account; I thought these were directly associated?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The thing is that you can't uninstall a preinstalled app like Gmail. The reason to try Safe Mode is to see if some other app you installed is somehow interfering with Gmail's proper function.

Even if you could uninstall the Gmail app, it wouldn't remove your Google account. There are many other apps that use your Google account (like the calendar app, Google Drive, etc.). In order to remove your Google account, you'd have to go to Settings>Accounts​, select your Google account, then tap Remove Account.

RonSH

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification.
I have not installed outside of the Play store and all I have installed are used by me on my Android phone including the Gmail app. Will do some checking with your suggestion

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter if the app is installed outside of the Play Store -- if it's something from the Play Store that you installed, it could still potentially cause issues, and Safe Mode would help to narrow down the issue somewhat. If you never installed any app at all on the phone and only used the apps that came with the phone, then Safe Mode wouldn't do much. But it's a rare user that never installs anything.

RonSH

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Problem still exists in safe mode. But I have also noticed that only some emails to which I try to reply cause Gmail to crash and these are from business, distinct private mail.

I can work around by using 'forward'. I don't want to Factory Restore. Strange though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting. Is there any common thread with those business emails? Do they all have an image as a signature? Are they all addressed to multiple recipients?

RonSH

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for guidance.
So far I have not been able to see any definite common factors. The mails appear to be individual (though I know they send the same to multiple addresses), often there are images/image signature and most but not all are of the variety 'no reply'.

All my personal mails are OK and often include an image. It's got me foxed; we use Gmail on 5 other devices in this home and none behave like this Samsung tab ... which is the only Samsung device

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm stumped as well.:-\ You could try going to Settings>Security>Clear Credentials, in case some kind of security credential is fouling things up. Let me see if anyone else has an idea.

RonSH

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Appreciate your help here. I use Gmail everywhere and have chosen not to use the Samsung Email app because of this. Also, all the gmail settings are much the same on all my devices.
Perhaps because I have not permitted Samsung to eg access my contacts etc they are 'sorting me out!' Only joking, I do like the tablet.

RonSH

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Still trying to analyse/resolve this issue so I have posted the following into the Google Gmail forum ... if I get a solution I will post here. I have found out a bit more which is described below:

Email crashes when I attempt to reply to a contact not included in my Contacts on Samsung TabA1 10.1. Also if I copy/paste the email address to send new email it crashes but if I type the address into a new email then gmail is stable. I also use gmail on Windows 10 and Nokia 8.1 android phone without problems.

The gmail app can not be uninstalled/reinstalled so I have stopped/restarted, cleared cache etc . No improvement. The issue appears to be related to Contacts but I cannot be certain.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam