Which cable should I use to connect my Tab A to my TV? I know I can use Smartview, but that works for non-gaming apps. I've been entertaining the idea of playing games in my tablet on the big screen. To be more specific, I'll be playing emulators. Could be useful if I travel somewhere. Smartview has massive lag and slow down when gaming, so it won't do.

Am I going to get lag if I use a cable? Should I use Chromecast instead?

https://www.amazon.com/Easyacc-Gold-...ustomerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-Th...ustomerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Certi...ustomerReviews

I'm looking at these three, and I'm not sure which one is best. What's with the 3rd one, anyway? Can't you just connect from USB straight to HDMI? The first two look identical, but one is more expensive. If you have anything else to recommend, please do.
    12-29-2019 08:31 AM
    If you use something like https://www.amazon.com/Protac-Adapte...cUvbUpU6714372 it should work. Due to the way Samsung plays with USB, it has to be specifically for the device in question. An S8/S9 adapter may work, or it may not.

Chromecast will definitely work.

But whichever you use, there's going to be lag, just due to the fact that digital signals are packetized. Whether it's enough lag to make any difference for the particular game depends on the game, but it's why dedicated gamers won't use wireless mice or keyboards - they introduce lags of some milliseconds (or more than just some).
    Whateverchan likes this.
    12-29-2019 04:26 PM
    If you use something like https://www.amazon.com/Protac-Adapte...cUvbUpU6714600 it should work. Due to the way Samsung plays with USB, it has to be specifically for the device in question. An S8/S9 adapter may work, or it may not.

Chromecast will definitely work.

But whichever you use, there's going to be lag, just due to the fact that digital signals are packetized. Whether it's enough lag to make any difference for the particular game depends on the game, but it's why dedicated gamers won't use wireless mice or keyboards - they introduce lags of some milliseconds (or more than just some).
    Thanks for the link!
    Does Chromecast work for all devices? If it's just a little input lag, then it's no big deal. But if it has significant input lag, then yeah, that might be a problem. I'm also going to be using a PS4 controller.
    I think the worst issue I had with Smartview for gaming is that not just the input lag, but the massive drop in framerate. The game runs normal on your tablet, you can see everything is going smoothly, but what's shown on TV is laggy and stuttering. Hope this won't be an issue for any of these?

Do you have any of these cables, or Chromecast? Any reason to choose Chromecast over the other cheaper cables? (I'm still researching...)

Edit:
    "Chromecast does not support captive portals — networks that require browser-based logins. As such, the Chromecast is not terribly useful in most hotels and universities."
    Hm...
    12-30-2019 01:21 AM
    From everything I've read, this tablet does not support screensharing via a cable. A lot of manufacturers have removed that feature for some reason.
    01-09-2020 11:07 AM
    From everything I've read, this tablet does not support screensharing via a cable. A lot of manufacturers have removed that feature for some reason.
    Damn. Even the old PSP can be connected to the TV. I see the new Tab S4/5/6 can connect via Samsung Dex cable, but haven't checked how well it runs.

In case someone sees this thread: don't buy the Miracast. It sucks.

It was slow, laggy, and had terrible resolution. It performed even worse than using normal screen mirroring. I wanted to use it to play games and watch movies smoothly. The device works... but the quality of the image it casts on the TV is terrible. Games run either slow and lags, or doesn't display at all. It's almost useless. What's the point if it can't even perform slightly better than using screen mirroring?
    I sent the seller an email asking if I can get a refund. Took 2-3 weeks for this thing to arrive. Too bad, it failed to deliver.
    jchapman01 likes this.
    01-22-2020 02:53 AM