[Guide][Updated 7/14/2011] How To Flash CWM, Root, add TouchWiz

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
[WARN]The rooting method in this thread is not compatible with the latest TouchWiz update. Please do not flash over TW until another method is found[/WARN]

So you've got your brand new shiny toy, and you're itching to rip into it and really make it your own... This is the simplest way I have seen yet to flash Clockwork Mod Recovery and root the Galaxy Tab 10.1. I did not create these methods or any of the tools necessary to accomplish this, I am simply passing along the information.

Credit for the CWM method goes to pokey9000 from XDA
Credit for the root exploit goes to pershoot from XDA

[WARN]I, nor Android Central, nor the people credited here take any responsibility for what you do with your device! Please read through each step before beginning, and if you are unsure of anything, ASK![/WARN]

Downloads:
  • Samsung drivers found here.
  • Odin 3 v1.3 found here. Use an extracting utility to extract the .rar
  • Root tools found here

[INFO]Before we begin, some basic information...
What does it mean to "root"?
Rooting an Android device gives the user "superuser" access, which means you're allowed to access system files which you normally wouldn't be able to otherwise. This allows for greater customization.

What is Odin?
Odin is a low-level flashing tool created and used by Samsung to flash the firmware onto their Android devices. It is a PC utility, so it is not compatible with Mac. You must have the Samsung drivers installed prior to flashing with Odin in order for the PC and Odin to recognize your device properly.

I have a locked Tab, will this work for me?
Yes! Fortunately, having a locked Tab still allows you to flash a custom recovery, which in turn allows you to flash ROMs, kernels, and other zips.

Can't I just use ROM Manager to flash CWM?
Unfortunately, you must be rooted in order for ROM Manager to function correctly. Without being rooted, you will not be able to flash CWM using that method.
[/INFO]

Last edited:

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Flashing CWM

The Process
1. First, download all the necessary files above. Install the drivers first.
2. Once the drivers have installed correctly, power off your Tab.
3. Open Odin
4. Power on your Tab by holding down the power button and the volume down button; this will take you into the recovery/downloading screen--use the volume down button to select the "downloading" option and the volume up key to select. This will put your Tab into download mode
5. Now, plug your USB cable into your PC (preferably into a USB plug that is on the back of your PC, directly mounted to the motherboard; also, don't use a hub!) then plug the 30pin adapter into your Tab.
6. Once Odin recognizes it, a yellow "com" box will appear in Odin. This means the device is connected and ready.
7. In Odin, select the PDA box to choose your source file.
[WARN]ONLY SELECT PDA, NOTHING ELSE![/WARN]
8. Select the CWM file you downloaded, and hit the Start button.
Once the file finishes, your Tab will restart.
Congratulations! You now have CWM on your device.

Last edited:

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Rooting

The Process
1. Copy the root tools to your Tab's internal SD card or download them straight onto your Tab
2. Power off your Tab
3. Power on your Tab using the same process as you did to get to the recovery/download screen: hold power button and volume down button
4. Once on the recovery/download screen, use the volume down key to select "recovery" (white box with android jumping out) and use the volume up button to select
5. Once in CWM, use the volume keys to navigate through the menus and power to select: Scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" and select
6. Select "choose zip from sdcard"
7. Navigate to where you placed the root tools (if you downloaded directly onto your Tab it will be in the "Download" folder)
8. Select the file, and install
9. Once it is finished, go back to the main CWM menu and reboot.

You are now rooted!

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
[ROM] TouchWiz update

Can't wait to get TouchWiz onto your GT 10.1?

It comes with a lot of added functionality, and many users have expressed their liking of the UX, rather than what many feared would be a dreaded manufacturer's overlay.

Here is Samsung's official video showing off the new features of the TouchWiz UX update:

The following is a ROM stripped from the European WiFi Galaxy Tab 10.1. If you're itching to give TW a try, simply flash this file using CWM.

[WARN]IT IS RECOMMENDED TO DO A FULL WIPE BEFORE INSTALLING THIS. BE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE BEGINNING THIS PROCEDURE![/WARN]

To make a backup (nandroid):
1. Reboot into recovery (CWM)
2. Select "backup and restore"
3. Select "backup"
4. Let it do it's thing... It will take a couple of minutes.
5. Once it has completed, reboot your Tab

To wipe:
1. Reboot into recovery (CWM)
2. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and confirm
3. Once complete, select "wipe cache partition" and confirm
4. Once complete, select "advanced"
5. Select "Wipe Dalvik Cache" and confirm
6. Once complete, reboot your Tab

Last edited:
Reactions: PookiePrancer

curt6567

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How To Flash CWM and Root your GT10.1

I have tried it but it does not appear to be rooted anymore (apps that only run on rooted devices wont run anymore)otherwise it works GREAT

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

I have tried it but it does not appear to be rooted anymore (apps that only run on rooted devices wont run anymore)otherwise it works GREAT

say what? did i missed the sarcasm?

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

no really, adfree won't run anymore

I won't comment on Ad Free other than to say it's been worthless since the last update, but I know what you're saying. If you flashed the Touchwiz hack, it is NOT rooted, so you'll have to flash the root file again to reroot.

Reactions: curt6567

curt6567

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide][Updated 7/14/2011] How To Flash CWM, Root, add TouchW

I tried to reflash the root file and all I got was a scrambled screen and it scared me to death so i just left it alone.

geonap

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

is this supposed to work on the LTE 10.1 from verizon? i've been trying for a while to hold volume down, press or hold down power.. to get into something, it won't.

any help? thanks.

curt6567

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

Is there any difference to this (which is great) and that which got released today?

swissguy591

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I tried to reflash the root file and all I got was a scrambled screen and it scared me to death so i just left it alone.

I just tried rooting my tab after the official ux update and I got the same scrambled screen. Was there an easy way to get rid of the root or do I have to do a full factory reset?

swissguy591

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I just tried rooting my tab after the official ux update and I got the same scrambled screen. Was there an easy way to get rid of the root or do I have to do a full factory reset?

Ok so I just did a factory reset and that might have made it worse..... When I turn it on the samsung galaxy tab icon comes up and I hear the startup sound but no video of the samsung logo. Once that's done a blank screen is shown but after a little while it turns into a bunch of crazy colors. What can I do!!!!!!

BADIC#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Ok so I just did a factory reset and that might have made it worse..... When I turn it on the samsung galaxy tab icon comes up and I hear the startup sound but no video of the samsung logo. Once that's done a blank screen is shown but after a little while it turns into a bunch of crazy colors. What can I do!!!!!!

OK so I got the scrambled screen too, today after rooting using the method in this thread. Did a factory reset and same scribbled screen. I'm stuck until someone posts a fix.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Alright, so it appears this root method is not compatible with the new TouchWiz update. If you are having issues, visit this thread at XDA and download the CWM flashable TW update and try flashing that from Clockwork (assuming you have clockwork, since you tried rooting).

Give that a shot and report back

Edit: The above link is for a prerooted TW ROM. If you prefer a stock TW ROM, see this thread

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance