[Guide][Updated 7/14/2011] How To Flash CWM, Root, add TouchWiz

BADIC#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide][Updated 7/14/2011] How To Flash CWM, Root, add TouchW

Alright, so it appears this root method is not compatible with the new TouchWiz update. If you are having issues, visit this thread at XDA and download the CWM flashable TW update and try flashing that from Clockwork (assuming you have clockwork, since you tried rooting).

Give that a shot and report back

Trying now

BADIC#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Alright, so it appears this root method is not compatible with the new TouchWiz update. If you are having issues, visit this thread at XDA and download the CWM flashable TW update and try flashing that from Clockwork (assuming you have clockwork, since you tried rooting).

Give that a shot and report back

Edit: The above link is for a prerooted TW ROM. If you prefer a stock TW ROM, see this thread

Ok so I can't get my computer to recognize that the tablet is even connected to it. I even tried to go and mount usb storage and i get "E: Unable to open ums lunfile (No such file or directory)

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Ok so I can't get my computer to recognize that the tablet is even connected to it. I even tried to go and mount usb storage and i get "E: Unable to open ums lunfile (No such file or directory)

Does Odin recognize it in download mode?

BADIC#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Well now it is dead.... like it won't charge, so i can't get it to come on so odin can recognize it

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

If it won't power on at all, then I don't know... If you can get it back on and into download mode, you can flash a stock package, which I'm trying to find without much luck. I'll still keep looking.

Edit: Asked around at XDA, and someone is putting together a stock Odin as we speak

Last edited:
Reactions: S0ckM0nk3y

BADIC#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

If it won't power on at all, then I don't know... If you can get it back on and into download mode, you can flash a stock package, which I'm trying to find without much luck. I'll still keep looking.

Edit: Asked around at XDA, and someone is putting together a stock Odin as we speak

Ahh cool... I left it plugged up to a power outlet turn it on into download mode then unplug it and then i can hook it up to my laptop and it will stay on. Odin does recognize that the tablet is plugged up.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Which of those did you download? I didn't see any Odin packages there.

BADIC#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

This is what I downloaded. and tried to flash... but i'm a noob to this ODIN stuff. So it has to be an Odin style rom?

Content - GT-p7510_USB_Driver | hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip(StockROM) | Odin3_v1.85 | recovery-cwm_4.0.0.4-sam-tab-10.1.tar.md5 | stockretail.tar.md5(recovery) | Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root

Download FilesForDummies.zip here

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Yes, for Odin it must be a tar file. Are you familiar with ADB? If Odin recognizes your Tab, you should be able to ADB push a CWM zip to your /sdcard and flash that from CWM

BADIC#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Yes, for Odin it must be a tar file. Are you familiar with ADB? If Odin recognizes your Tab, you should be able to ADB push a CWM zip to your /sdcard and flash that from CWM

I'm not real good at adb stuff but I can follow step by step process, if I can find one. Would it be any different to do on a tablet than a phone? Like if i find directions to push to a phone would they be the same for the tablet?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Should be the same. Just need to push to /sdcard so you can flash from CWM

BADIC#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Should be the same. Just need to push to /sdcard so you can flash from CWM

OKAY!!! So I fixed it. I installed a bootloader file and the pda file at the same time and it worked. I did this through odin too. Thank you so much for your help. Is there a way to root this thing now that i'm back to having a stock wiz tab? :)

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I'm glad you're back up and running! If you just want a stock rooted ROM, you can flash one of the TW ROMs at XDA with CWM

nbkyp6x

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Tried this method and when I go to the CWM after flashing it on through Odin3, all there is is a usb symbol and the downloading symbol, I have the Google I/O edition tab and I can't seem to get it rooted

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Tried this method and when I go to the CWM after flashing it on through Odin3, all there is is a usb symbol and the downloading symbol, I have the Google I/O edition tab and I can't seem to get it rooted

This method is confirmed only for the retail wifi 10.1... As for any other model, I can't say it will work or not

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

I currently have the wifi 10.1 version (just bought it yesterday), I want to fully root it but there is a warning in the front page stating not to try this method because of TouchWiz.

Edit: What is TouchWiz & how would I know if I do/dont have TouchWiz?

Should I not try to fully root my stock wifi 10.1 version that I just opened yesterday?

Last edited: