Returned My GT 10.1 yesterday

generalmax3

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I returned it to BB for 3 reasons:

1- Screen seems to scratch a little to easily...only had it 10 days and was very careful with it...and it had 2 noticeable scratches on. Also it seems to me after extensive use the screen will have an issue with stress being put on it.

2- Was not convinced it was the perfect tab for me. I may repurchase but need a little more convincing before i make the commitment.

3- Am now thinking about buying the Asus Transformer...$100 less and it has the Micro SD card port and Mini HDMI port built in...its the 2nd best tab out there according to sales.

I did like it but with the scratches on it so fast and the transformer being $100 less...i may make the splash and buy it. I also have an iPad2 but i really dont like the blandness of the iOS has with no widgets etc....

Please help me make a decision...repurchase the GT or buy a Asus TF....or just wait till the next best android tab comes out.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
HAHAHA. Good luck with the Transformer buddy. After the 3rd lemon I got from Asus, I went for the GT10.1 and haven't looked back since.

I have the Samsung Book Cover Case on my GT10.1 and it is still flawless. Had the tablet since release date too.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had an xformer for 2 weeks, and returned because the gps would not work independent of wifi (not that I really would ever need it to, but it should have). Other than that , it worked fine. I will say that it is like holding a brick when compared to the gt. It may sound trivial, but after about 5 minutes the weight matters.

I will say that the xformer never once "locked up" like my gt has a tendency to do. If you can get past the weight (and your gps antenna works), its a good device (especially for the $$).

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Now exactly why did you not buy a screen sheild?....Let's see.. because YOU did not need the glass protected from scratches...that makes perfect sense to return it especially after YOU scratched it, Now they have to sell it as a "defective" product.. way to go.. I am sure BB or whoever you bought it from would just love for you to take back a second tablet and make that one a used one too... Let's see and you are .... sure a valued customer!!!

generalmax3

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
A little strong on the reply rw0749....BB had the right to inspect the returned item and simply refused my return request...but i digress...Isnt this tab supposed have "gorilla" glass? I seriously didn't do anything to have scratches to that extent.

rsix

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
A little strong on the reply rw0749....BB had the right to inspect the returned item and simply refused my return request...but i digress...Isnt this tab supposed have "gorilla" glass? I seriously didn't do anything to have scratches to that extent.
GT 10.1 does not have Gorilla Glass, the Transformer however does. What I would recommend doing is go out and get a transformer, then you will have experienced both tabs. That will help you make an educated choice on what is right for you.

I can tell you what my opinion of the pros and cons are, but that is subjective to my needs. You have a great opportunity here to test drive them both and see what you like the best. Enjoy!

generalmax3

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
GT 10.1 does not have Gorilla Glass, the Transformer however does. What I would recommend doing is go out and get a transformer, then you will have experienced both tabs. That will help you make an educated choice on what is right for you.

I can tell you what my opinion of the pros and cons are, but that is subjective to my needs. You have a great opportunity here to test drive them both and see what you like the best. Enjoy!

It would be of great help if you let me know your pros and cons on both...i really want to make the best decision.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear you returned your GT. However, I must admit that I too returned mine after 2 weeks of owning it. At the time I just didn't see or understand what all the fuss was about.

But after returning it I really missed having it, and after a week or so, decided to repurchase the tablet.

I can now say that I am a very proud owner of the GT 10.1. I realize that some of the other Android tablets out there have some other functionality that make them appealing, but for me having a USB port, micorSD slot, or even a HDMI out slot are not important.

The bottom line is that you have to get what matters most to you. My purpose for having a tablet is to have internet, email, calendar, ebook, and music available with me at all times (portability), and my tablet needs to be light and as slim as possible.

No other Android tablet comes close to the weight and width of the GT, and seeing how sleek and professional it looks in the official GT 10.1 Book Cover Case, makes it appropriate for a board room meeting or a relaxing day on the front porch of my house.

No one can make your decision for you, but for me, I decided to go back to Frye's and get my GT.

One more thing: Because portability is MY primary consideration; I will be purchasing the GT 8.9 when it becomes available later in the year. The size, weight, and thickness of the 8.9 will be the ultimate in portability.

generalmax3

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear you returned your GT. However, I must admit that I too returned mine after 2 weeks of owning it. At the time I just didn't see or understand what all the fuss was about.

But after returning it I really missed having it, and after a week or so, decided to repurchase the tablet.

I can now say that I am a very proud owner of the GT 10.1. I realize that some of the other Android tablets out there have some other functionality that make them appealing, but for me having a USB port, micorSD slot, or even a HDMI out slot are not important.

The bottom line is that you have to get what matters most to you. My purpose for having a tablet is to have internet, email, calendar, ebook, and music available with me at all times (portability), and my tablet needs to be light and as slim as possible.

No other Android tablet comes close to the weight and width of the GT, and seeing how sleek and professional it looks in the official GT 10.1 Book Cover Case, makes it appropriate for a board room meeting or a relaxing day on the front porch of my house.

No one can make your decision for you, but for me, I decided to go back to Frye's and get my GT.

One more thing: Because portability is MY primary consideration; I will be purchasing the GT 8.9 when it becomes available later in the year. The size, weight, and thickness of the 8.9 will be the ultimate in portability.

Thanks!!! Very true...I do miss my GT and if I do repurchase I most definitively will purchase a screen protector...LOL.

rsix

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It would be of great help if you let me know your pros and cons on both...i really want to make the best decision.
I'd be delighted to, I returned my Asus for the GT 10.1, so I've spent a fair amount of time with both.

The first thing you'll notice is how much better the GT 10.1 feels in your hand. On paper the dimension spec difference seems minuscule, but in your hands (especially after an hour of use) it is not.

Next the screen. The GT 10.1 is so much more vibrant. But the TF wins on toughness. The gorilla glass on the TF feels a lot sturdier and you won't need to put a screen protector over it.

3rd party accessories. This is what broke the camels back for me. With the amount of time the TF has been out I expected there to be at least some 3rd party accessories. There are none... I believe in this aspect the GT will win out eventually.

Ports. The TF wins here because GT has none. If this matters to you take it into consideration. It does not matter to me at all.

The speakers on the TF left quite a bit to be desired. The GT has nice speakers, they sound great. Not to mention it came with headphones.

All in all I liked them both. But the profile and the screen on the 10.1 sold me on it. Once I swapped them out I knew I made the right decision.

Last edited:

generalmax3

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd be delighted to, I returned my Asus for the GT 10.1, so I've spent a fair amount of time with both.

The first thing you'll notice is how much better the GT 10.1 feels in your hand. On paper the dimension spec difference seems minuscule, but in your hands (especially after an hour of use) it is not.

Next the screen. The GT 10.1 is so much more vibrant. But the TF wins on toughness. The gorilla glass on the TF feels a lot sturdier and you won't need to put a screen protector over it.

3rd party accessories. This is what broke the camels back for me. With the amount of time the TF has been out I expected there to be at least some 3rd party accessories. There are none... I believe in this aspect the GT will win out eventually.

Ports. The TF wins here because GT has none. If this matters to you take it into consideration. It does not matter to me at all.

The speakers on the TF left quite a bit to be desired. The GT has nice speakers, they sound great. Not to mention it came with headphones.

All in all I liked them both. But the profile and the screen on the 10.1 sold me on it. Once I swapped them out I knew I made the right decision.

Since i spent the 10 days with the GT i may as well give the TF a spin...and see what decision I make!

Thanks again

lonepanther

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Never be an early adopter of anything electronic as both the owners of the Thrive and the 10.1 Tab are finding out. These heartless corportations beta test on consumers instead of releasing a stable final product.

The revelation that this 10.1 tablet doesnt even include gorilla glass is shocking to say the least and now with reports of the display coming apart is a red flag to all potential buyers: wait tilll hotfix updates are pushed thru. It is to ur benefit.

I just bougth the 7in tab after a thorough research into the product and am pleased with it. I couldnt find any major prob associated with this tab even during its early period of release so these probs with the 10.1in are evem more shocking.

rsix

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Never be an early adopter of anything electronic as both the owners of the Thrive and the 10.1 Tab are finding out. These heartless corportations beta test on consumers instead of releasing a stable final product.

The revelation that this 10.1 tablet doesnt even include gorilla glass is shocking to say the least and now with reports of the display coming apart is a red flag to all potential buyers: wait tilll hotfix updates are pushed thru. It is to ur benefit.

I just bougth the 7in tab after a thorough research into the product and am pleased with it. I couldnt find any major prob associated with this tab even during its early period of release so these probs with the 10.1in are evem more shocking.
I strongly disagree with you. All I have found out is how nice it is to have an ultra portable media device with killer battery life.

The screen on the GT is gorgeous. If you plan on getting a lot of mobile use out of it of course you should protect your investment with a screen protector. Just because the iPhone has Gorilla Glass doesn't mean the iPad does (it doesn't), so I'm not sure where the comparison is there.

I am glad you did thorough research, that is what a lot of people coming to these forums are trying to do, which is why I feel it's important to mention that the points you were trying to make are false (in my experience).

drethos

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You want a very sad early adopter story.... blackberry playbook. I am one, soon hopefully will not be one. Everything seemed great the first month, we didn't have much but things were coming gradually. Then it stopped and we get a almost cold shoulder from rim. I can't even update to the latest. Compared to the playbook this is a much more enjoyable early adopter experience.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

lonepanther

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I strongly disagree with you. All I have found out is how nice it is to have an ultra portable media device with killer battery life.

The screen on the GT is gorgeous. If you plan on getting a lot of mobile use out of it of course you should protect your investment with a screen protector. Just because the iPhone has Gorilla Glass doesn't mean the iPad does (it doesn't), so I'm not sure where the comparison is there.

I am glad you did thorough research, that is what a lot of people coming to these forums are trying to do, which is why I feel it's important to mention that the points you were trying to make are false (in my experience).

all of the marketing hype and literature clearly states that the 10.1 is an IMPROVEMENT over the 7in so I ask how is it and IMPROVEMENT when the specs are LESS than the product you are supposed to have improved upon?

not having gorilla glass, the display coming apart and now the sleep of death is what early adopters are suffering thru.

I urge patience, let the bugs get worked out, updates pushed thru and buy a few months later and be happy with a decive thats stable and wont fall apart on you.

MiSoFine

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only female?

I bought a 10.1 the day it came out. I returned it and got an Asus a week later. I am a nerd in training so I won't be technical. I returned it for sheer meanness & envy. I got tired of people telling me it was an iPad (meanness) & all my nerd friends are jealous b/c they want one (envy)

What the ASUS has on the 10.1--the dock & ports, feels more solid b/c it's bigger/heavier, updates (I have a Samsung Captivate and Samsung doesn't push updates often). Also you can use a mouse with it in conjunction to the dock--not a BT mouse. A regular $10 mouse.

What the 10.1 has on the ASUS--LIGHTER and like a previous user stated, when you are carrying the ASUS around (i.e. a purse) you feel it! It hurts my shoulder after 5 minutes. The ASUS case I got, really doesn't help, just concentrates it to my wrist.
SCREEN RESOLUTION: That bad boy has a GLORIOUS screen--it's beautiful (another plus to Samsung). CAMERA is phenomenal, SPEAKERS: awesome. All around, aesthetically it's a better device. Comes with 3.1 Android. The ASUS you have to update to 3.1--I didn't get my OTA update so my nerd friend had to find it--4 hours & about 5 forums later we got it to 3.1. It was NOT a pleasant experience, he was extremely upset by the end of it saying that I should write ASUS & complain. I don't know how the Samsung works with that.

If I could, I would go back to the Samsung--it's been over 30 days. But I am hoping I do more with the accessories. The Samsung will have everything (eventually) that the ASUS has--it just all be sold separately.

I will say this in conclusion: get a Zagg shield & get your Samsung back. In the case of 'you get what you pay for' this is textbook. If you are nerdy & care more about function over form: ASUS b/c you will be able to maintain it yourself as a nerd; if you are like the rest of us regular joes and want some form with your function & ease of use: 10.1. Overall, yes you will pay more (like iPad) but man it will be worth it.

jonyah

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I have both the gt10.1 and the transformer. I'd gladly take back the transformer for another gt10.1. the lack of microsd really sucks, but the overall build quality of the gt is much better. the screen is nicer, doesn't suffer bleeding like the transformer and actually has accessories. All you can really get for the transformer is a horrible horrible expensive case and the keyboard. there's like 10 cases for the gt all of which are nicer than the one for the transformer. That one for the transformer even blocks your power slot. you have to remove it to charge it (did i mention it is a horrible case)?

If the gt isn't for you, I'd wait for the tegra 3 tablets to come out. These are all just toys anyway, you can't exactly be that productive on them.\

Oh, and good luck finding a replacement charger for the Transformer. If you lose your cable or it breaks, you're out of luck. I hate proprietary junk. Yes they all have proprietary connectors, but at least you can buy replacements for the gt.

lonepanther

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
one shouldnt have to purhcase extras like screen shields to make up for a corporations cheapness. if my lil 7in tab has gorilla glass shouldnt its much heralded bigger brother come with that too?

drd48

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
There's some great feedback regarding the 10.1 vs. the transformer on here. I was wondering if people had any insight on the 10.1 vs. the xoom. That would be greatly appreciated.

mapleleaf14#AC

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I had a Transformer for about 2 weeks (after about 2 weeks with the Acer Iconia) and to me, the GT10.1 is the best Android tablet on the market.

Build quality of the Asus is average IMO. Keyboard dock was sluggish (and really made it thick!) The charge port was a little wonky on mine too...I'd look down after awhile and see that it wasn't charging, and sometimes it would "wake up" on it's own. Bad screen bleed too on both the Acer and Asus.

The Asus will make you think you're going deaf too...the speakers are LOUSY! Very little volume. The GT has great, loud speakers...I think as good as the HP Touchpad, which I also had for a week...fantastic OS, but the hardware is lacking and the app selection sucks...but that's a story for another day.

The screen on the GT is the best of all the Abdroid tablets.

I've had the dark grey GT10.1 for over a month and I haven't used a case yet and I take it to work everyday, it sits on my desk where it sometimes gets pens laid on it, an occasional stapler knocked over on it, papers with binder clips thrown on it, etc. and zero damage. No scratches at all. I think the build quality is superb.

I thought I'd miss the card port and USB port, but I haven't really all that much...nowhere near as much as I thought I would. I haven't had any problem getting stuff on and off my GT.

Battery life is awesome on the Samsung too. Obviously with the keyboard dock attached, the Asus has better life, but without it the Samsung really beats the Asus battery in my use.

I didn't think the Asus or the Acer felt bad until getting the GT10.1...now even my iPad2 feels not so great! The Samsung exudes quality IMO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze