Has anyone given serious consideration to the Toshiba Thrive?

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Since... April, I've been waiting for the Toshiba Thrive to be released. I was excited that I returned my Ipad 2, and waited. Now that it's here and I can buy it... I find myself leaning more towards the Galaxy Tab 10.1. It's amazing how you can drive yourself crazy with all the research. And the $100.00 Staples coupon puts even more pressure on! LOL

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The Thrive is not supposed to be very good. I think the Tab 10.1 is unanimously said to be the best Android tablet around.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks... I'm really surprised to see everyone complaining about 1.6lbs. I've been using laptops for years... and I'm pretty sure my current laptop is 5lb and I use it daily.

Chorazin

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... I'm really surprised to see everyone complaining about 1.6lbs. I've been using laptops for years... and I'm pretty sure my current laptop is 5lb and I use it daily.

Sure, but you're not holding your laptop up in both hands the entire time you use it. Even the weight difference between the SGT and the original iPad is huge in practice, not much on paper.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I read a lot of horrible reviews all over the net. I could not bring myself to drop that much cash on something so badly rated. $399 for one of the top Android tabs out was a no brainier for me.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have read good reviews on the Thrive. I almost got one. In the end, however, I figured I would not really use the hdmi out and if I got the GT 10.1, then the 16gb was probably more than enough for me tablet storage needs. I took the $100 coupon to Staples today and came back with a GT 10.1. I used Wireless Tether to get it all set up and I'm pretty happy with it. I made the right choice for me.

If you actually will use the Thrive hardware, then get it. It's bigger because of the extra punch it delivers. If the extra hardware really doesn't make a difference to you in the end, then get the GT.

Last edited:

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I just went into to Staples within the past hour and they ordered it for me and applied the coupon. I get it in 2 to 3 days.

Thanks all for the help.

drethos

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I played with one at best buy and just said no. Its not the tablet for me, I like my g-tab 10.1 and I'm not going to give it up.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

anon(7923)

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Initially I thought the same as you, wait for the Thrive and then don't look back. However, once I was in BB and looked at the two, the decision was pretty obvious. While the Thrive does have the ports, the Samsung has the feel of a real tablet (light and thin) If you plan to use the ports, then the decision is simple (Thrive) if not - again, the decision is simple (GT)

I'm a huge fan of my GT, just wish I had more choices for accessories. I'm jealous of the plethora of accessories available for the iPad2. Hopefully once Verizon starts selling this bad boy more items will become available.

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Accessories are a tough game in the Android world imho. With the ipad, there is only one design to keep in mind when coming up with various cases, docks, etc. With Android there are so many different device designs out there it can be a bit daunting for the accessory makers. Which devices do they want to commit to making accessories for based on popularity/sales projections, etc. The GT10.1 will have more accessories in time, but probably never close to the level available of the ipad. Android is sometimes a blessing and a curse with its open architecture and multi-device support, but mostly a blessing imo.... ;-)

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I was standing in BB yesterday and some guy returned his Thrive for the GT 10.1. I laughed and said good choice. The Thrive has some problems with it's screen right now and the tab itself is pretty laggy.

johnnyappleseed

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Since... April, I've been waiting for the Toshiba Thrive to be released. I was excited that I returned my Ipad 2, and waited. Now that it's here and I can buy it... I find myself leaning more towards the Galaxy Tab 10.1. It's amazing how you can drive yourself crazy with all the research. And the $100.00 Staples coupon puts even more pressure on! LOL
Bought a Thrive instead of the Galaxy Tab on July 10, but had the same issues that everyone else was having. My 14-day return window was up this past Sunday, so I had to make a decision on what to do. Ended up taking the Thrive back to BB and doing the exchange for the Galaxy Tab.

After holding the Thrive for 2 weeks, I am already very very glad I made the decision that I did. What really sealed the deal for me was that in that two-week period, I had yet to use any of the available ports on the Thrive.

kitster

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have been trying out tablets over the last month or so. I had a Flyer for a couple of weeks. Liked it. but it was too small. Got the Tab. Liked it alot. BUT I heard about the Thrive, and despite its size, it sounded like the tablet for me.

So, I took the Tab 10.1 back and waited a couple of weeks for the Thrive. I kept reading pretty good reviews - the video and photo "upconverting", the full-sized ports, the grippy back.. sounded good to me. After three days I took it back and re-bought the Samsung 10.1.

Why? Buggy all over. Heavier than advertised (personal feel, I know). I never used the ports. And - it hurt to hold. At the point on the sides where the rubbery/plastic back meets the smooth glassy front? With my unit there was a hard lip that really started rubbing by palms raw by the first hour or two in. It was horrible.

I got the Tab again, and haven't looked back. It is wonderful and I cannot be happier. Now, when the HTC Puccini (WiFi version, hopefully) drops - all bets are off! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11