Can you change the apps in the "mini-tray" at the bottom of the screen?
    08-05-2011 12:38 AM
    Not at the moment. Samsung may eventually open it up to devs, but not at the moment. You wouldn't have any other mini apps to put there now anyway.
    08-05-2011 12:47 AM
    I am hoping for the ability to put any app there - like a shortcut - but I see your point.
    08-05-2011 01:08 AM
    I would like to use a different clock, and calendar.
    08-05-2011 01:15 AM
    I agree. I would like to put google music in place of the mini Apps player
    08-05-2011 01:24 AM
    You've got to be kidding. There is a tray filled with absolute garbage and we cannot modify what is in there?

World Clock? Task Manager? Music Player?

If this is true it is a major FAIL!

Is there a way to turn off or prevent the tray from appearing? I'd rather not have to see a reminder of this complete joke of an update.
    Anev likes this.
    08-05-2011 10:39 AM
    You've got to be kidding. There is a tray filled with absolute garbage and we cannot modify what is in there?

Is there a way to turn off or prevent the tray from appearing? I'd rather not have to see a reminder of this complete joke of an update.
    If you don't like it, go back to stock.
    08-05-2011 12:00 PM
    Why the hell would I need a world clock lmao.. yeah I agree

08-05-2011 12:14 PM
    How??

If you don't like it, go back to stock.
    08-05-2011 12:14 PM
    Or, if you dont like it dont use it. the realitt is that samsung will probably open up the api to allow 3rd party apps but for now it doesnt take up any real estate so no real harm done...hardly a 'major fail'just part of the development process.
    08-05-2011 12:44 PM
    hardly a 'major fail' just part of the development process.
    Development is what you do before you release it to the masses not after, that's called a bug or in this case, an oversight.

Personally, I find it frustrating in that it demonstrates they have little to no interest in providing a true customized and personalized design which seems contrary to Android and more like an iOS creation. It also makes me seriously doubt that we'll see more abilities to create an environment around how we work and play - more designed around how Samsung things we should work and play.

Long story short - it's a major fail to me as it shows what the future with Samsung's products may be like as we move into the future. Just my two cents and perhaps another way to look at it.
    08-05-2011 02:40 PM
    Development is what you do before you release it to the masses not after, that's called a bug or in this case, an oversight.

Personally, I find it frustrating in that it demonstrates they have little to no interest in providing a true customized and personalized design which seems contrary to Android and more like an iOS creation. It also makes me seriously doubt that we'll see more abilities to create an environment around how we work and play - more designed around how Samsung things we should work and play.

Long story short - it's a major fail to me as it shows what the future with Samsung's products may be like as we move into the future. Just my two cents and perhaps another way to look at it.
    Nope, you are wrong or at least misled. Just because a feature is released does not mean there is not a plan to include additional functionality in the future. There are lots of features not only in tw that are not completely customizable. To call it an oversight means you have access to their development plans and know its not something they plan to implement inthe future. Its definitely not a bug since its not 'broken',it justisnt as flexible as you would like. Does stock android allow youto customize everything right now. No. But more things become customizable as the product matures and as the development timeline moves on.

Just because software is released does not mean it contains every feature it will ever contain or that it should. The product will grow and thatis a good thing.
    sqlcowboy likes this.
    08-05-2011 03:53 PM
    Nope, you are wrong or at least misled. Just because a feature is released does not mean there is not a plan to include additional functionality in the future. There are lots of features not only in tw that are not completely customizable. To call it an oversight means you have access to their development plans and know its not something they plan to implement inthe future. Its definitely not a bug since its not 'broken',it justisnt as flexible as you would like. Does stock android allow youto customize everything right now. No. But more things become customizable as the product matures and as the development timeline moves on.

Just because software is released does not mean it contains every feature it will ever contain or that it should. The product will grow and thatis a good thing.
    I agree 100%. Not to mention that I for one am very much looking for this new functionality with the initial apps they have chosen to include. I do very much hope and look forward to being able to build custom mini apps in the future as well. IMO, this is one of the coolest features in the new touchwiz. Hardly a fail simply because it doesn't include more apps in it's first release.
    SassyPenguin likes this.
    08-05-2011 04:04 PM
    Nope, you are wrong or at least misled. Just because a feature is released does not mean there is not a plan to include additional functionality in the future
    And you are correct! In six to eight months when the next update comes out we can see how that factored into what we get and what we'll be able to adjust.
    08-05-2011 04:16 PM
    I'd rather see the last used apps in the tray...oops, there's another lawsuit by Apple.

What they did with the tray is most definitely a development failure. How in the world could they even think for one moment that half of the stuff they put in there is useful to the masses? How? It's absolutely mind boggling.
    Anev likes this.
    08-05-2011 04:17 PM
    What they did with the tray is most definitely a development failure. How in the world could they even think for one moment that half of the stuff they put in there is useful to the masses? How? It's absolutely mind boggling.
    I suppose what is one mans garbage is another mans treasure. I'm expecting to get a lot of use out of the Calculator, Task Manager and possibly the Memo pad depending on how well they work. (I don't have the update yet since I have the VW LTE version). I'd assume World Clocks are important enough for some or else they wouldn't be included in every major platform as they are. Also, a music player is without a doubt a value add for a lot of people (Just not myself since I stream rather than own a large MP3 library, but I'd imagine I'm the minority in that regard).

Again, just because they didn't pick apps that are useful to you, doesn't mean that they failed with the update. I can't argue the fact that the option to customize these and change them out to other apps would of course be better, but we can't expect them to create hundreds of mini apps for this first release either. I also wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to spend more time making the interface work right (Which is the important part) than they did creating different apps. As I mentioned before, I just hope they open it up for developers to fill in the gaps.
    08-05-2011 04:27 PM
    Why the hell would I need a world clock lmao.. yeah I agree
    I actually use the World Clock. I'm a Project Manager for a global company and am constantly scheduling calls and installations around the world. For me this comes in extremely handy.
    08-06-2011 09:13 AM
    What you need to keep in mind too is these are not full-blown apps, but "mini apps" that run over the too of other apps. If you were to put regular apps there, that would be redundant. That's what the app drawer is for
    08-06-2011 09:43 AM
    I would love to see a clipboard app. Something similar to Clipper.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    08-06-2011 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD