Is that an iPad?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
How many times have you been asked that question when you're out and about with your Tab?

I must say that I get that question practically everyday when I'm out with my Tab. The question got me thinking about how should I answer the person aside from the obvious "no, it's not."

I find that the person asking is usually genuine in their curiosity, because when they see a tablet so thin and stylish as the Tab 10.1, they automatically think it's an iPad.

I do my best to avoid any hint of sarcasm or defensiveness in my response, and they are usually shocked to learn that it's not an iPad.

How do you typically respond to the question? Do you think your response has been able to cause one, two, or maybe more people to consider purchasing the Tab; that otherwise would have only considered an iPad?

dreten

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I usually just say No and leave it at that.

There is nothing you can do to talk someone into buying something when they really want something else. I let a girl at work play with my Tab for about 15 minutes. She went on and on about how sweet it was and told me how her Dad has one, but it does not do the cool stuff mine does. Then she asked me how I got my to do all this cool stuff and I said what do you mean? Then she started pointing at the widgets and I told her all Android devices have widgets. The she said "oh, I thought it was an iPad, I want an iPad". Then she handed the Tab back to me.

People want what they want, I do not even bother trying to be an advocate.

drethos

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I would get that carrying around my playbook. I wanted to ask them if they were that thick. Never did but I kindly explainred that no it wasn't. I would have that the fact that you have it with would have said its not an ipad. But when the world realizes that ithingy's never were the first they just commercialized it better then the rest maybe well hear less of this.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I just say "No, it's an Android tablet" then I flick through the home screens and scroll the widgets. They are generally impressed. I also make a special effort not to get all snide or evangelical. They sometimes ask me what's the difference and I just say they are similar, but I prefer the Android UI customization and features.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I just say "No, it's an Android tablet" then I flick through the home screens and scroll the widgets. They are generally impressed. I also make a special effort not to get all snide or evangelical. They sometimes ask me what's the difference and I just say they are similar, but I prefer the Android UI customization and features.

I do pretty much the same, and occasionally let them try the tab out a bit. Usually the reactions are pretty good, although I've had a few "oh.. well that's cool." responses which always make me want to try and defend the tab a little more.

1414H77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Apparently the EU thinks the Tab looks like an iPad since they just placed a temporary injunction against Samsung's ability to sell the Tab there. As much as I like my Tab I honestly can't blame Apple (don't flame me, just an opinion). I will stick with the Tab, though.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I get this all the time with my xoom. And when I tell them its xoom android tablet they ask what is android. I politely tell them and show them what it does and there amazed. If your not into into android it doesn't matter what u have all they care about is apple

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree with both hbg and moosc.

I can't say I would've bought the tab if it weren't as clean, sleek, streamlined, (whatever adjective you'd prefer) as it is. Anyone who says there's no resemblance to the iPad is turning a blind eye to the basic form that most these type of tablets will take, whether running Android, iOS, or another operating system. The iPad, Xoom, and Galaxy Tab all demonstrate this, and the Touchpad and Thrive also do to an extent -- they're different forms of the same basic form that these tablets will take.

Anyone who can be the first to successfully design, or build, or mass market/publicize (etc.) something deserves credit and some form of recognition or reward for that. However, if that product enters or creates a market that it cannot fulfill the entirety of (as evidenced by the fact that we have purchased Android tablets instead of iPads), then I feel that competition should not necessarily be shut down in the manner Apple is trying to do (and succeeding in the EU right now).

It's just unfortunate that many of the tablets in the touch tablet market (excluding non-Windows-8-powered tablets, as they're not designed specifically with the intention of touch interaction) will end up with a form factor similar to the Galaxy Tab, iPad, or Xoom. It makes it hard to set one product apart from the other.

Just my $0.02.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Similar and Patent Infringing aren't the same thing (at least I don't think they should be). Any competing products will be similar: TVs, automobiles, computers, smart phones, tablets, shoes, etc. I would say that iOS and Honeycomb have a lot of differences, as far as comparing directly competing products is concerned. If the issue is with Honeycomb, then why is Apple not complaining about other tablets? If it's just TouchWiz, then Samsung should just drop TW for now. My $0.02.

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I get that all the time. I usually take the time and explain. I usually tell folks it is a tablet, however, it isn't an iPad. Then I usually have to explain what is the difference and that the iPad isn't the only tablet on the market.

I don't mind trying to educate folks. Most people don't understand that the iPad is a brand and not a device category.

I explain the whole app situation, and most people surprisingly say that isn't a big deal. The general response is "how many apps do you really need?" Most people are impressed. And the ones that aren't concerned with trying to be like everyone else, are really interested in getting one.

I just had this experience the other day when I was out to breakfast. A husband and wife, and they were both iOS users. Iphones and all, but when they saw the Tab on a site with a little flash video playing on the page..they loved it. They liked the fact the internet looks how it looks on their windows pc. Their words , not mine. They loved the screen, the widgets and everything. And the husband said he already had an iPad 2, but he liked the Tab. Then he asked his wife, after breakfast, could they swing by Best Buy and check it out.

True story...

Sent from my awesome HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Its not honeycomb its the form factor and skin. That is what apple is after just like gs2 is in apples crosshair.theres so much that tab 10.1 and gs2 look like apple products. I mean look at this the tab was ready to hit production and was even showed off in Jan. Then ipad2 came out with its thinnes that sent samsung back to drawing and came out with a new revised tab that is ultra thin and looks ipad right down to the proprietary plug which Samsung has been using and its colorful os theme. I can see why apple is going after them. I really think if they would have stayed with there first tab they showed in jan i dont think we or they would b in this boat.
Similar and Patent Infringing aren't the same thing (at least I don't think they should be). Any competing products will be similar: TVs, automobiles, computers, smart phones, tablets, shoes, etc. I would say that iOS and Honeycomb have a lot of differences, as far as comparing directly competing products is concerned. If the issue is with Honeycomb, then why is Apple not complaining about other tablets? If it's just TouchWiz, then Samsung should just drop TW for now. My $0.02.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Its not honeycomb its the form factor and skin. That is what apple is after just like gs2 is in apples crosshair.theres so much that tab 10.1 and gs2 look like apple products. I mean look at this the tab was ready to hit production and was even showed off in Jan. Then ipad2 came out with its thinnes that sent samsung back to drawing and came out with a new revised tab that is ultra thin and looks ipad right down to the proprietary plug which Samsung has been using and its colorful os theme. I can see why apple is going after them. I really think if they would have stayed with there first tab they showed in jan i dont think we or they would b in this boat.
I agree with the GS phones but not so much with the stock GT which is what I run. No TW yet. Again, Samsung could just drop TW then. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams