Samsung, Apple, and Us

ptf

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
With Apple getting preliminary injunctions in the EU and Australia, I have become more worried about Samsung having to pull the SGT 10.1 from American shelves. If so, how does this affect people like us who already bought the Tab. Will Samsung still be able to issue us updates? If so, will there be a big enough number of people with the Tabs for Samsung to care about pushing updates? Or if they can't give updates, will we get refunds for our Tabs? I'm just getting worried and was wondering if anyone could give any insight.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I believe it actually would motivate them to be even more proactive about satisfying those already invested in it. The last thing they need right now is negative publicity.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well they did make a commitment to updating their devices for at least 18th months. Mind you these are just preliminary injuctions, Samsung still can appeal and make their case...although it looks pretty bleak at the moment.

I guess we'll find out mid October on what'll happen.

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention the hit Verizon would take as well as American Airlines who is installing them in their planes. Too many players wrapped up in the Tab for Sammy to abandon ship imo.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
It's likely that if Apple wins, then the court will make Samsung pay licensing fees on the patents that were used and you will continue to see the GT and other Android tablets offered for sale. Google and hardware manufacturer's need to start taking patent law seriously. It may be massively flawed, but it can't be ignored. Apple and Microsoft have far too much money for lawyers for that to happen.

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
And I guess no two tv's will be able to look like each other in the future... or two cars.... ooops nor can two laptops look alike.. Do you honestly think a judge will rule in apples favor.. they only hope Samsung will cave and pay them royalties..

Jay Evans

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you honestly think a judge will rule in apples favor..

Already has in a way...

FOSS Patents: Why Samsung was not put on notice before the European Galaxy Tab 10.1 injunction was ordered

"But in this case (like in many others), the court apparently looked at the registered [European] Community design right and pictures of Samsung's product, and felt that there was a basis for a preliminary injunction. Still, in a main proceeding Samsung might be able to prove that the Community design right shouldn't have been granted in the first place, or that there was no infringement."

"The request for injunction was filed with no notice to Samsung, and the order was issued without any hearing or presentation of evidence from Samsung."

I haven't cared for Jobs/Apple way of doing business since 1985 and some of the crap Apple pulled against the Amiga. (yea, I'm that old)

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
They are also apparently targeting the Xoom...
Apple targets Motorola XOOM next in Euro tablet cull - SlashGear

Basically any tablet that resembles their community design (which is...I don' t know...just about every tablet), will be on the chopping block. Although it appears they won't be going for a preliminary injunction on the Xoom because it's been available for several months and it's apparently difficult to make a case of urgency when Apple knew the product was released for a while now.

Make no mistake, this is a blatant attack on Android even if no software patents are necessarily involved with the suit.

I also agree that Android manufacturers need to start respecting patent law despite it being a broken system. The cost to fight it will be too great and in the end, I'm afraid Android will be worse for wear. But then again, Android makers may have no choice at this point.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
According to a post by Engadget today, Apple is now reportedly going after the Moto Xoom as well.

I think Apple is under the impression they are the only manufacturer that should be allowed to make a rectangle tablet? I think Samsung and Google have to fight this out, and challenge the law here. I believe it is the only way to shed light on how these patent, copyright, and trademark laws are out of control and need to be rethought.

A failure to fight now, will never produce change in the future.

Engadget: "Yes, we've now reached the point in the ongoing Apple v. Samsung brouhaha where we're having lawsuits revealed within lawsuits. As spotted by FOSS Patents' Florian Mueller, Apple's recent complaint against Samsung that led to a preliminary injunction blocking sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Europe also contained a brief passage indicating that Apple is suing Motorola over the decidedly tablet-like Xoom as well."

Jay Evans

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Apple is starting to run scared. They laughed off Android on phones and now in just a couple of years, Android dominates the market (48%).

The iPad is a huge cash cow for Apple.

ptf

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Here's my other concern, what if Apple doesn't license its patents? They have a right not to and it would seem to make sense for them to not to license them b/c they make a lot more off selling 1 iPad then licensing fees on 5 SGT 10.1 (most likely).

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Apple is starting to run scared. They laughed off Android on phones and now in just a couple of years, Android dominates the market (48%).

The iPad is a huge cash cow for Apple.

And the iPad will continue to be a huge cash cow for Apple along with the iPhone. Regardless of how well Android is or isn't doing.

Apple has a very loyal following and those people will continue to buy apple products. You will never see a exodus of Apple fans buying Android. Not going to happen.

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Engadget: "Yes, we've now reached the point in the ongoing Apple v. Samsung brouhaha where we're having lawsuits revealed within lawsuits..."

x5a9g9.jpg

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I was going to get an ipad but this move has made vote with my wallet for samsung. That may not due much as itunes is my music source.

Last edited:

ptf

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I wad going to get an ipad but this move has made vote with my wallet for samsung. That may not due much as itunes is my music source.

Once you get an Android Phone/Tablet, you can make a switch to AmazonMP3 and it works really well.

Jay Evans

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
From a Google translation of the law suit filed in Germany.

The overall appearance of the two products shown above is almost identical, because the Galaxy
Tab 10.1 All elements of the distinctive features of the two copies iPad:

(I) a rectangular product with four evenly rounded corners;
(Ii) a flat, clear surface that covers the front of the product;
(Iii) the view of a metallic bezel around the flat, clear surface;
(Iv) a display which is centered on the clear surface;
(V) under the surface there are clearly marked, kept neutral
Limitations on all sides of the display, and
(Vi) if the product is switched on, colored icons within the display.
In addition, copies the tab marked 10.1 the thin profile of the second iPad

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci