Touchscreen Unresponsive upon Wake

SassyPenguin

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey, so I've been having a combination of problems, this thread will be about my touchscreen being unresponsive upon trying to wake. The other problem I was having was the wi-fi not reconnecting upon wake.

What happens is, I push the power button to try to wake my tablet, but I am unable to interact with the touchscreen. I can still rotate the tablet and it will rotate just fine. Pushing and holding the power button gives me the "turn off screen" menu option, but again I am unable to interact with the touchscreen. When I go to try and put the tablet back to sleep, the screen only halfway dims, it does not turn the screen off like it normally should. I can still push and hold to turn off all the way, which will then turn the tablet on just fine.

Seems to happen in the mornings too. Rather frustrating when I try to turn off my alarm.

Sometimes if I wait a good 2 minutes or so, I can turn it back on just fine, no problem.

Anyone else having this issue?

Coincidence or not, this happened to me after the latest update (the update after the Touchwiz update).

quocamole

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey, so I've been having a combination of problems, this thread will be about my touchscreen being unresponsive upon trying to wake. The other problem I was having was the wi-fi not reconnecting upon wake.

What happens is, I push the power button to try to wake my tablet, but I am unable to interact with the touchscreen. I can still rotate the tablet and it will rotate just fine. Pushing and holding the power button gives me the "turn off screen" menu option, but again I am unable to interact with the touchscreen. When I go to try and put the tablet back to sleep, the screen only halfway dims, it does not turn the screen off like it normally should. I can still push and hold to turn off all the way, which will then turn the tablet on just fine.

Seems to happen in the mornings too. Rather frustrating when I try to turn off my alarm.

Sometimes if I wait a good 2 minutes or so, I can turn it back on just fine, no problem.

Anyone else having this issue?

Coincidence or not, this happened to me after the latest update (the update after the Touchwiz update).

i had the same issue. setting wifi (in advanced settings) to never sleep took care of it for me.

lithium1330

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am experiencing the exact same issue - the screen becomes unresponsive after waking. The screen would work once a while, but 9 out of 10 times I would have to reboot the darn thing. And also like OP wifi would struggle to connect back. I often had to turn-off wifi... wait a few minutes and turn-on wifi.. then Tab would connect. It's such a pain.

I will try to change my wifi setting to Always on (as oppose to the current - Never when plugged-in). It's a good workaround if it works. However, that's unacceptable to consumers if that's the only way to resolve the bug. I mean, if that's going to cause an issue... why even offer customers that setting at all?

I'm a big fan of Android. I have a Nexus One and has been rather proud of the Galaxy Tab. Then again, it's stupid bugs like these that annoy me to no end. I was trying to show my friend (who has an ipad) the Tab. Of course, the screen was not responsive after wake... so, he laughed and sarcastically said wow, at least my ipad works. How is Samsung & Android suppose to compete head to head with market leader when the most basic things (logging onto a screen) don't even work? Fix it Samsung!

SassyPenguin

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Crazy thing guys... Quacamole was right, for me setting the wi-fi to 'always on' has seemed to fix the touchscreen AND wi-fi reconnection issue, lol!

Also the weird thing for me was that I never had this problem until after the latest update (after the Touchwiz update).

@Lithium, sorry u had the frustrating experience :-( I actually experienced something similar. Heh. I still dearly love my Tab! :)

lithium1330

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you SassyPenguin...the problem appears to have disappeared after setting to "always on". Kinda weak workaround b/c my wifi is always on and draining batts. I don't remember if TouchWiz (100MB+) update was the cause... there was a smaller update recently too. That could have caused it. Who know. I just hope Samsung fixes it.

BTW, I emailed Samsung support about the issue... this is their response. So, I have to ask.. has anyone tried the factory reset to see if this works? I'd hate to lose everything during the reset, only to find the problem still exists.

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

We understand that you are unable to find Galaxy Tab model in the drop down list and you found
that the touch screen does not respond and unable to connect to the Wireless Internet after it wakes
up from the sleep mode.

We are really sorry about this and we appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting the issue.

To fix the issue, we recommend you perform Factory reset of the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

We recommend you copy and paste the complete link in a new browser window to find the steps to
know how to perform Factory reset:

How Do I Delete Some Or All Of My Personal Information From My Wi-Fi GT-p7510 Galaxy 10.1 Tablet?

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Samsung Online Support.​

alinef23

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
hi i have the same problem but i dont know how to change the settings to always on since i cant use the touch screen can u guys plz help what should i do??? :'(

SassyPenguin

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey Alinef23,

My problem was actually fixed after the latest Samsung update to the Tab, for whatever reason...

And what do you mean you can't use the touch screen?

DroidAdams

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm having the same issue. With a small exception. Today for no reason at all, the phone completely locked up after being left idle for while.

The phone is stock, (not rooted) with a few extra apps downloaded exclusively from the Android Market.

It won't power on, it won't wake up, it won't shut down. Due to the abysmal battery life I charge it quite frequently, so I thought at first
that it needed a good charge-up (although this would be the 2nd charge up within the same day (FAIL).

It's a Droid Razr phone through Verizon. Also, last week (also for no reason that I know of) I lost both 3G and 4G LTE data for about 3-4 days. I hope there's some explanation for why a new phone is already bombing out twice within the first 2 months of ownership.:-\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis