Why won't my Galaxy Tab charge through my computer?

Andrew123456565

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

All you need to do is to turn you Galaxy tab off and connect the usb cable to the computer ,then the charging icon will appear on the screen.That works for me.

Hany Said

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

All you need to do is to turn you Galaxy tab off and connect the usb cable to the computer ,then the charging icon will appear on the screen.That works for me.

The whole point is to be able to use the Tablet while charging it through the USB. I was able to always do this with an Acer, a Thoshiba, a Motorola, an Asus, AND a rooted/CM9 Galaxy Tab 7!! Why in the world cant a Galaxy Tab 2 do it with stock OS is beyond me. I am willing to bet that a flashed Galaxy Tab2 is able to charage through the USB. If anyone has a custom ROM on a Tab2, let us know.

Scott Maczink

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

so far the only way i have found is to turn off tab it will charge then and i agree that is stupid
Note: When you connect your device to a computer via USB
cable, the data connection takes precedence over
charging, and the device will only charge when it is
turned off. from user manual

Last edited:

Joy Zelikovsky

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem, if I turn the device off, and then plug it into the computer it starts charging.

cmos2000

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

If connect the tablet to a laptop, it will reduce the battery life if we are charging and using (data transfer) the battery at the same time. I think Samsung purposely design in this way to protect the battery. That's why we need to turn off the tablet in order to allow the battery charging operation alone without any data transfer.

If connect the tablet to power socket, the tablet can directly get the power from socket but not from battery. So, battery will stay in rest mode and get charging.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

I think you can work around this with a charge only cable, right? They are cheaper, and lack pins for data... Should only provide charge.

Edit: May have to use an extension cable to do this, now that I actually engage thought processes.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Plug the USB in. Turn off your tablet and then press the power button but don't turn it on. A battery charging icon should appear. It works for my galaxy tab 2 7.0!

My Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is definitely charging via the laptop USB when it's shut down. I also had the red X over the battery icon with it turned on, but when I turn off the Tab I can see the battery charging indicator on the screen. It must draw too much when turned on as others have described.

ayman2003940

May 13, 2013
Visit site

hey mate , had the same problem and actually i got to this blog because i was looking for a solution... the thing is if u had the tab off , and connect it to the pc it will charge .. hope this helps u .

buythismobile

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Hello,

Can you confirm that it is definitively not possible to charge a Samsung Tab 10 or 7 from a computer USB cable ?

Thanks.

Lewis ShadowHearted

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

hmm .. sufficient current theory very not true.. cuz millions of devices can be n will charge via UBS car chargers n all other device that uses a UBS jack.. or it could be the android OS it self causing the auto detection to change to charging to MTP mode.. ..

kabu405

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

The computer's USB port does not supply enough current to charge the tab, unfortunately.

hallo bro....

before i updated my tab 7 to android version 4.1.2.. I able to used the tablet at my laptop while charging.... the purpose I connect the tablet to the lappy coz its act as modem.. I thetering with laptop... so while doing surfing the net via laptop , the tablet can be charging.. there are no that red devil cross [X] appeared...its happened when I updated the android version to 4.1.2... before this my tablet running on android version 4.0.1

so..the summarise is.. when using android version 4.0.1 the tablet can be charge and can be thatered / use at the laptop in the same time...
but when updated to android version 4.1.2 it cant operate ... its only can be thered / used at the laptop or for charging.. its just either one only..

so pls do help me how to solved the problem...

kabu405

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

hmm yess.... i did that.. but thats kind of step cant tethering to the computer...its just can only charge the tablet...
before i update the android version to the 4.1.2 .... i can tethering the tab to the computer and in the same time the tablet is charging nicely...

Telford_UK

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem, the battery had discharged to zero and the tablet would not turn on. I plugged it into the charger which I usually used.
The tablet would show the charging battery icon on the screen with a round icon then it would show the battery which would show 2 gold charge bars
then the screen would go dead and all would be repeated. When I plugged it into my PC I would get the ding dong as it was first recognised then the ding dong
again as if it was being removed. The wall chargers I was using were for HTC phones and rated as .5 amps output.

I solved the problem in the end when I plugged it into an apple iphone charger. I believe the original Samsung charger is rated at 2.1amps. I guess the
apple charger must be rated 2amps or so (The text is so small I can't read it??!!).

It seems that if the battery charge is too low the tablet can't negotiate the input from a lower power charger. Best bet is to never let the battery
charge go lower than 15% then although it will take longer the lower power chargers will work.

George K George

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

While connecting the USB cable to computer's USB port, push it only half way. This worked for me. I saw this information in some other forum and this works for my Galaxy Tab 7.0. If you push it full, it will stop charging. I think it is the same thing red_ruewei is mentioning. This will work.

Apryl Dunlap

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site

This post was most helpful. I actually powered down my Tab and then pressed the power button and the charging symbol appeared showing that it is charging...just slower...which is fine because I am an overnight charging kinda girl anyhow. Thanks

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude