Pros and Cons of using a single OS

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have an opinion on the pros and cons of using the same OS for both your phone and tablet?

I was speaking with someone today who said he uses an iPhone, but recently purchased the Tab because it didn't make sense to buy the iPad 2 and use basically the same OS on both devices.

After he walked away I began to wonder what he really meant by that statement, and whether having the same OS on both devices is really indeed overkill?

Is there an advantage to using one OS on the phone and a different one on your tablet, or do you believe using a single OS across devices is more beneficial?

markp99

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Same OS makes good sense for me. While slightly different use models on my Android Phone and my Tablet (Honeycomb, Gingerbread, Touchwiz, etc.), the fundamental platform is the same.

Also, there are a handful of apps I share across my phone and tablet. Buy ONCE.

I would really like to hear arguments FOR using multiple OSs...

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand his point, unless he's just a techie who likes to have one of each. From a practical standpoint, one OS makes sense to me, unless you love iOS for tablets, but Android for phones (TCPJ does).

rebornr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
My take is that a single or multiple OSs is irrelevant. What is the BEST OS for each device? I think iOS (I have an iPhone) is great for a small device with limited real estate, navigation and connectivity. But the limitations of blowing up the same OS to a tablet format didn't hold much appeal to me which is why I went for Tab.

With a bigger format and more power I expect a tablet to do more and not just be a 'launcher'. I find I really don't need the same apps as on my iPhone because I can actually use the browser to access the same information (though I would still love to have a greater variety of Tab apps).

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have the same OS on both and love it.
If I make changes to a file or app on one device, it will be updated automatically on the other device.
I also have an app installed on both that will allow my Tab to send and receive SMS messages, while my phone is on the charger in the other part of the house.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

chazm

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I know what he means. I have an iphone and just got the tab. Having the tab is something different.

Put it this way, if i would have bought the ipad i would have played with it for all of five minutes. Its pretty much a big iphone. I wanted a different OS just to have something different and ive been non stop on it for the last few days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12