Have GPS

Vettster501

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Just baught my new WiFi Tab yesterday and tried to use my navigation. Beond belief found that the navigation function on the tab does not work without the wifi connected? Called Samsung Tech support and they indicated the same!!!!! Has anyone else discovered this or, is it just me? Then I ask...what good is it if you need connected to the internet for it to work. Where are you going to get internet on I70 in the middle of Kansas? My car wife's car has GPS and she doesnt have internet in the car

pm_phone

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I tether the tab to my phone to use gps in the car

Google maps is made to work with internet access.

An in car GPS system has all the maps and navigation loaded into it.

there are a couple Android GPS apps that let you down load maps. You might have to plan your route while on line. I am not familiar with them, but found them with a little googling.

Mapdroyd ,RMaps, AndNav2 , CoPilot

nalpakj

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Actually Google Maps was made to work with and without immediate internet access. There is a Labs feature to download content for a limited area and use that data when offline. However, the navigation feature might not be updated to use that.

I haven't tried to use the tab for navigation so I can't attest to the wifi/gps thing either way. I use my phone for that.

bubbadog

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I have found that the gps partially works in the car. It will show your location driving down the road but will not give you directions where to turn. It only shows your current location.

millemots

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I would think a tablet would be unwieldy as an in car GPS. Just to big for me to imagine using easily. My Charge on the other hand, works great with Google Navigation.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

aggie92

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
If you plan the route while connected to the net, the navigation software will cache the route and then work fine while disconnected. If you change your route at all you will need to be tethered.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I would think a tablet would be unwieldy as an in car GPS. Just to big for me to imagine using easily.

Agreed. It can be done, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Besides being huge, the screen is just a little bit reflective.

fotd

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Does the WiFi only have a gps chip or is it just WiFi trianglation? That was a big disappointment when we bought my dad his WiFi only iPad1, he wanted to use it for gps on his boat since his had fried. Don't get great WiFi in the middle of lake Erie, plus if it's not within 10m it's worthless.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Does the WiFi only have a gps chip or is it just WiFi trianglation? That was a big disappointment when we bought my dad his WiFi only iPad1, he wanted to use it for gps on his boat since his had fried. Don't get great WiFi in the middle of lake Erie, plus if it's not within 10m it's worthless.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Yes, the GPS will function independent of WiFi. Download GPS Status & Toolbox from the market to make sure the antenna is working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox