How is this tablet?

JasonPurp

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I was gonna get the Droid Bionic but decided a tablet would be a better choice.

Is the GTab 10.1 any good? How does it compare to the Xoom? I plan on getting the 16GB model, wifi only.

chazm

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I guess its depends on what you are looking for. I tried out the xoom the acer and the thrive and they all felt big and bulky. I wanted something thin and visually appealing and the GT was that. I didn't need ports but best buy did give me a free USB connector so I can plug something into it if I wanted.

I can only recommend to spend about 30 minutes in a best buy and play with them all and see what you like best. I'm an iphone user just fyi.

JasonPurp

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I guess its depends on what you are looking for. I tried out the xoom the acer and the thrive and they all felt big and bulky. I wanted something thin and visually appealing and the GT was that. I didn't need ports but best buy did give me a free USB connector so I can plug something into it if I wanted.

I can only recommend to spend about 30 minutes in a best buy and play with them all and see what you like best. I'm an iphone user just fyi.

I'm an Android fanboy and I've never owned a tablet before.

I was in Staples trying out the Xoom and GTab, and the GTab seemed nicer. It's just that I don't like the idea of needing to update to the TouchWiz UI or else I can't get future updates. And I don't wanna root.

ptf

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I (although I appear to be one of the few) don't recommend the SGT 10.1. Build Quality is bad. Samsung Support is worse. I am on my third tablet and have had to send this third one in for repair twice (already sent in once, didn't do anything, having to send in again). I know things about all of the Sammy CSA (John mumbles to himself, Douglass sounds like Toby from The Office, etc.) because I have been on the phone with them so much.

JasonPurp

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Whats wrong with touch wiz?

Look at the screen quality too. That's what really got me

The extra screenshot button, the new launcher, notifications, all of that annoys me. I like the stock Honeycomb UI. I know TouchWiz fixes many problems as well, but I could live with them if I really wanted to.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely love mine. I use it daily.
Very thin and light.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Mastertech

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have had my tablet a week now and am really liking it. I have seen nothing wrong with the build quality of mine, so far it seems flawless. This thing does everything I had hoped/expected it would for me. I mainly use it for surfing the internet, reading a few news sites, and checking out a couple of forums like this one.

chazm

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The extra screenshot button, the new launcher, notifications, all of that annoys me. I like the stock Honeycomb UI. I know TouchWiz fixes many problems as well, but I could live with them if I really wanted to.

I hear the same thing every year when a new iOS comes out. A lot of people complain then within a few months they upgrade and love it.

I don't notice anything different with notifications. The only difference I see is a screen shot button (which was sorely needed) and a little arrow at the bottom. Are you 80 or something? Some people resist change. Change is good

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Some things are fantastic some not so. Overall I love the tablet.

The Good
---------------
1. Netflix - so fantastic on a tablet

2. Using Last.fm in Dolphin (via Flash) and streaming via bluetooth to my sound system/speakers (makes the tablet a media controller!)

3. Pulse (best feed app for a tablet ever)

4. Comixology (best way to view/read comics in any format! You can get DC and Marvel comics along with tons of others)

5. Very light (easy to hold for long period of time) and super thin which makes it very portable/useable

The Bad
-----------
1. Browser input (even in the best browsers like Dolphin, it's still mediocre)

2. Samsung Touchwiz Swype (it has about 10 words in the dictionary, so you spend a lot of time adding to it. Didn't even have the word "american") - and without rooting (which I believe is impossible in the latest Touchwiz), you can't install a better swype

3. Most interactive sites have a LOT of issues forcing you to either use their android app or give up (if they don't have an app) - the problem with having to always use apps is that instead of having 10 tabs open in the browser (for 10 different sites) and going back and forth quickly, you have to switch form app to app. Not as efficient.

4. Crappy widgets - there's so little in the way of customization for widgets

5. Typing in general sucks (especially now with the bad swype version). Dictation isn't bad but it's not perfect and requires it to send the data to google for analysis which makes it slower

rebornr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

4. Comixology (best way to view/read comics in any format! You can get DC and Marvel comics along with tons of others)

Actually Marvel has not as of yet allowed their comics to be on Comixology for Android tablet. Probably has to do with being owned by Disney and the relationship between Jobs and Disney. There is certainly no technical explanation.

Thumb Keyboard (on the market) is a great alternative to stock. Love how you can customize practically anything including the size of the keys themselves.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Tab since last Wednesday and its awesome. I got her an iPad last year for Christmas and have been wanting an Android tablet, just haven't found a reason to purchase myself one. Now that I have one I can't put it down :) My only problem now is looking for a decent case, which is very limited :(

nuprotocol

May 16, 2010
Visit site

The Good
---------------
1. Netflix - so fantastic on a tablet

2. Using Last.fm in Dolphin (via Flash) and streaming via bluetooth to my sound system/speakers (makes the tablet a media controller!)

3. Pulse (best feed app for a tablet ever)

5. Very light (easy to hold for long period of time) and super thin which makes it very portable/useable

The Bad
-----------
1. Browser input (even in the best browsers like Dolphin, it's still mediocre)

2. Samsung Touchwiz Swype (it has about 10 words in the dictionary, so you spend a lot of time adding to it. Didn't even have the word "american") - and without rooting (which I believe is impossible in the latest Touchwiz), you can't install a better swype

3. Most interactive sites have a LOT of issues forcing you to either use their android app or give up (if they don't have an app) - the problem with having to always use apps is that instead of having 10 tabs open in the browser (for 10 different sites) and going back and forth quickly, you have to switch form app to app. Not as efficient.

4. Crappy widgets - there's so little in the way of customization for widgets

5. Typing in general sucks (especially now with the bad swype version). Dictation isn't bad but it's not perfect and requires it to send the data to google for analysis which makes it slower

Thumb Keyboard will for sure change your look on typing. Its just as good a hardware keyboard when using Thumb Keyboard.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.beansoft.keyboardplus&hl=en

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I just rooted my TouchWiz tab 10.1 yesterday without a hitch. After flashing ClockworkMod I flashed a .zip root exploit found on XDA for the WiFi only version -- all is good and stable :)

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
My tab is still stock but I love it. I seriously dont care about all the new quadcore tabs coming out because this thing absolutely flies! I love everything about it. Screen is amazing, speed is great, never gets bogged down (at least for me), plays movies nicely, sounds phenomenal, I could go on and on.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I just rooted my TouchWiz tab 10.1 yesterday without a hitch. After flashing ClockworkMod I flashed a .zip root exploit found on XDA for the WiFi only version -- all is good and stable :)

(in a diff. thread) would you mind posting the exact steps you took (with links)? Thanks!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the galaxy tab, 10.1,32 gig, wifi for 3 weeks now and this tablet is a BEAST In my opinion. At store i was going back and forth between 16 and 32 gig. Store rep made great case for getting 32 gig but i told him to go get me 16. Before he came back i sent another rep to go tell him i change my mind, i want the 32. Glad i did. I have about 10 of my favorite movies stored in my tab and still have over 18 gig left. Love that i can watch movies without streaming.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol