Tethering tablet to phone

snoboy58

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If I already own a Droid Bionic with data plan can I buy a Galaxy or XOOM with no data plan and tether it to my phone and get internet? Would I need a 3G or Wi-Fi only tablet.
Thanks

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I use Wireless Tether. I don't do it often, but I do use in a pinch. You can get Wireless Tether from code.google.com. It may not be available in the market anymore. I have a wifi only Galaxy Tab.

snoboy58

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
So if you I were in a situation where my Bionic is getting a 3G signal I could tether it to my Galaxy and the Galaxy would be able to operate as if it were picking up WiFi?

jday

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about all wireless carriers, but if you use Verizon, their data plan does NOT include free wi-fi tethering. To be able to tether using wi-fi (on Verizon) you need to pay an extra monthly fee ($30/month for 2GB). To avoid that charge many people root their phones and use one of several (wired) tethering apps. According to Verizon, this violates your TOA and the only way to legally tether is to pay the extra fee. I am not offering an opinion on whether or not you should do this, but simply stating what Verizon says.

snoboy58

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Got it. Well that blows my plan of tethering. I might as well get a data plan for the xoom so it stands alone. I may just live with a Wi-Fi only as I cannot justify two data plans, heck I really don't have a need for data at all except for my flying which it really does have some killer apps. Thanks

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have wifi only tab. When there is no wifi available in turn on mobile hotspot on my evo 3d and it works great. For 30 bucks a month it is worth it.

10.1/32 gig of fun!

kcrandall758

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about all wireless carriers, but if you use Verizon, their data plan does NOT include free wi-fi tethering. To be able to tether using wi-fi (on Verizon) you need to pay an extra monthly fee ($30/month for 2GB). To avoid that charge many people root their phones and use one of several (wired) tethering apps. According to Verizon, this violates your TOA and the only way to legally tether is to pay the extra fee. I am not offering an opinion on whether or not you should do this, but simply stating what Verizon says.

Check the bionic forums for how to get free mobile tethering. Did it on my girlfriends bionic...haven't regretted it yet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tab using Tapatalk

kcrandall758

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Got it. Well that blows my plan of tethering. I might as well get a data plan for the xoom so it stands alone. I may just live with a Wi-Fi only as I cannot justify two data plans, heck I really don't have a need for data at all except for my flying which it really does have some killer apps. Thanks

No need for a plan. Go wifi only, and root you bionic and enable the mobile tethering.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tab using Tapatalk

Reactions: streetstrip01

genkilljoy

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
If your phone has tethering in the menu just turn it on. You don't need to pay anything....The carriers are ripping you off by charging for a tethering plan. This is why people root their phones. I did not have to root my phone the feature was always there, it was the carrier which binds my phone who lock out this feature. I found a way to unlock it and now tether it when ever I want, with my existing data plan.
I'll bet when you get a tethering plan they take your phone to the back to un-hide (activate) the feature which was already there to begin with.
:mad: :cool:

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
If your phone has tethering in the menu just turn it on. You don't need to pay anything....The carriers are ripping you off by charging for a tethering plan. This is why people root their phones. I did not have to root my phone the feature was always there, it was the carrier which binds my phone who lock out this feature. I found a way to unlock it and now tether it when ever I want, with my existing data plan.
I'll bet when you get a tethering plan they take your phone to the back to un-hide (activate) the feature which was already there to begin with.

My DInc has a tether option in the menu and is stock (non-rooted). When I turn it on it tells me I need a tether data plan to use the feature. I assume you are referring to something else beyond that?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I believe several phones have had free tethering upon release. Photon 4G on Sprint and Thunderbolt on Verizon I believe were two phones that allowed it for a month or two after release. There may have been more... If your carrier has given you some type of leniency to tether then this is why you are not being charged. Otherwise, you will need to have a tethering package with the carrier, whether its Sprint/Verizon/T-Mobile/At&t, to tether. If not, then you'll have to root the device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech