Just Got a 10.1...

cclifft

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
So my wife surprised me last night with a new 10.1, and I couldn't be happier. I messed around with it last night, and while I was as happy as a kid in a candy store, it felt a bit awkward to hold and use. I'm not used to a tablet so anything is going to feel weird at first, but I was just wondering if any 10.1 owners also have the 8.9. I thought about swapping mine out for the 8.9, just for ergonomics sake, but what about the loss in screen size. I did like the screen on the 10.1, but would i miss that extra inch? I've read the reviews on here and it seems that the pros here at AC tend to like the 8.9 a bit more, at least in the sharpness and clarity of the screen.

I was just curious and thought I would ask other users out there. I really like the tablet itself, and went back and fort between this and the ipad. The only selling factor to the ipad would be able to get the magazine apps for the various magazine subscriptions we have. I just like the android environment a bit better now days though. That and I really don't have anything invested in apple. I use a pc for my work and home studios, and the only apple product I use now is my ipod nano for running, which my wife has now claimed as her own.

Anyway, I was just wondering what the android community would recommend.

The Architect

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I exchanged a 10.1 for an 8.9 for just that reason. The 10.1 was awkward for me to hold and use, the 8.9 is just right. I don't think of it as being smaller... I think of it as being sized correctly. Spec wise they are the same. They even have the same pixel count (the 8.9 is a higher DPI).

My only complaint of the 8.9 vs 10.1 is the speaker location. They are on the bottom (in landscape) of the 8.9 versus the sides of the 10.1. When I stand it up to watch video, the sound gets muffled. Hardly a deal-breaker, but worth noting.

anon(549921)

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I like the size of the 10.1, I have a case for it which makes it easy to hold and also to stand in various positions for video watching or typing. Personally I wouldn't go smaller, but its all about personal choice.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I like the 10.1 and would not switch to anything smaller. I also have a case that is a stand and I am typing away right now with out needing to hold it. When I do hold it it feels just fine.

Galaxy tab 10.1

pm_phone

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a 10.1 and also a rooted Nook Color which is a little smaller than the size of the 8.9

I prefer the smaller one for reading books, and it's easier to carry around in a pocket, etc. I take it when I travel on a train or plane.

I prefer the extra room of the 10.1 for web browsing and games.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I much prefer the size of the 8.9. If Apple hadn't settled on 10.1 inches, I think most devices would have been developed at closer to 9.

cclifft

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. I think I might go to Best Buy tonight and see if they have a 8.9 that I can try out. Honestly, I just don't have big hands so the 10.1 just feels a bit strange.

As for the speakers being on the bottom, annoying, but it might not be a deal breaker. I will more than likely be using headphones with it, i.e flying, laying in bed etc, so I might get past the speaker location.

Also, and I am guessing it is in the settings, but if I decide to swap them out, is there a way to do a factory reset so that all my apps and info will get wiped off the tablet. I had to set up my home wifi and all my google info on there last night, so I would like to just wipe it clean before I return it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I haven't gotten mine yet. Waiting for it to arrive. Prior to deciding I played with the different sizes. I decided on the 10.1 and got it new on eBay. I plan on getting the keyboard dock and a case. It is coming with a gel case but I want a leather case it can slip into and can stand with as well. Can't wait to have my tab in my hands. I see a mix of different sizes. It is personal preference. I actually found better deals on the 10.1. I was originally drawn towards the larger one.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I just got the 10.1 last week and am absolutely loving it. I played with an 8.9 for a week and it was just too small. I use mine for work now more than I use my laptop.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I use Zinio for magazine subscriptions on the Tab. And BTW, if you go to an 8.9 inch, forget reading magazines on it. The 10.1 is already a tad too small but still OK, but 8.9 would make reading a magazine awful.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the 10.1. I have the accessories. Two cases. A stylus which o use a lot but also can type on it easily. Also have the keyboard and o do use it if I am typing a lot.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The 10.1 is great for my needs and the size is just right. Since we already had an iPad the Tab 10.1 felt normal for me with what I use it for.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power