rooting noob!

loes_jos

May 6, 2012
Visit site
hi guys,
so as the title indicates im a complete newbie with rooting n i probbli i have a lot of obvious n dumb questions, but i wud like them to b answerd nonetheless and mayb als sumthin to do about it :)
i have a galaxy tab 10.1 wifi onli 16gb! i hve it completly loaded with stuffs,so wht my question is if i root it,is thr a posibility of losing all my data? n if so, is thr newyz to create a backup of it to a cloud storage app??

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
hi guys,
so as the title indicates im a complete newbie with rooting n i probbli i have a lot of obvious n dumb questions, but i wud like them to b answerd nonetheless and mayb als sumthin to do about it :)
i have a galaxy tab 10.1 wifi onli 16gb! i hve it completly loaded with stuffs,so wht my question is if i root it,is thr a posibility of losing all my data? n if so, is thr newyz to create a backup of it to a cloud storage app??

Fear not!

First of all, let's get through the standard disclaimer stuff:
1. DO NOT BLAME ME for anything that goes wrong, I'm just trying to help answer your question
2. Read through all instructions first. Make sure everything makes sense to you, and that you're confident you can handle the ENTIRE process (i.e. don't start it and then midway thru go, "I Don't know what that is?!?!?"). If you have questions, ask them.
3. Make sure you're at least fairly competent at general computing. Seriously. There is a huge difference between being an *Android* noob, and just an overall tech noob. Rooting isn't usually a "one time get it over with then never worry about again" process -- there may be future maintenance required on your part to get your device ready for updates and/or fixes and stuff like that. It's one thing if you're new to the Android world and trying to figure out how stuff works...it's another if you're a complete stranger to the concepts presented here (in which case rooting may not be for you). If that doesn't seem like a big deal, then OK.

Ok, now that's out of the way. I have to say this, I've owned a few different Android devices in my time, and this Tab may have been the easiest to root of any of them. I also have the 16GB Wifi version. This process DOES NOT delete your files if done correctly, which is very nice. Once you have rooted, you can install "Titanium Backup" to make regular backups of your apps if you need to.

Go here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...root-unroot-g-tab-10-1-gt-p7510-u-s-only.html
This guide is pretty excellent, however if you follow it to the letter you WILL lose your data.

Here's is what to do if you DO NOT want to lose your data (apps and system settings):

After the "EDIT" section explaining about flashing a custom ROM or moving forward with rooting (you want to move forward), you'll see these instructions:

Put the Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip onto the ROOT of your SDCARD/USBSTORAGE.

Next we want to power the tab off.

With the Tablet off boot into Recovery Mode

Now I always Wipe/Data Factory Reset 3X, Wipe Cache 3X and Wipe Dalvik Cache 3X as well. I do this because I'm anal and it's less chance of things going wrong with the flash so make sure you have everything backed up you need. However wiping all this from CWM will NOT delete your SDCARD/USBSTORAGE.

After you have wiped everything........

Here is the key -- DO NOT "WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET" IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR DATA!

When I got to this step, I ONLY did a "Wipe Cache" and "Wipe Dalvik Cache" (under "advanced" menu). I did not do a full system reset. After that, I installed the Root ZIP file and rebooted and was good to go.

(I'm sure the author of the guide put the instructions in there to do a full wipe to help ensure no errors occur, but it really shouldn't be necessary to do it.)

loes_jos

May 6, 2012
Visit site
hey i had sucesfuly linked it with odin, but i went to the clockwork mode,the screen jus went haywire,kept on scrollling from top to bottom :/

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
First thing I would try is updating CWM to the latest version, which you can get here:

Recovery

You install this via ODIN the same way you did when you ran through this process the first time.

When you are in Download Mode open up ODIN3_v1.85.exe you have downloaded and extracted from the previous .zip I had you download in the beginning.

Plug your tablet into the PC. For tutorials on ODIN3 I will leave that up to QBKING77 and his AWESOME YOUTUBE VIDEOS

When you see the yellow box lit up hit the PDA Button in ODIN3 and select recovery.tar.md5. This is CLOCKWORKMOD 5.5.0.4

Hit start.

The process will last oh I'd say about................................... 7 seconds and then you will see a Green Pass box lit up as well. The Tablet will reboot on its own.
JUST BE SURE TO USE THE UPDATED "recovery.tar.md5" YOU DOWNLOADED FROM DROID BASEMENT INSTEAD OF THE ONE THAT CAME WITH THE ORIGINAL ROOT PACKAGE.

If that doesn't work, check this out:

[GUIDE] How to Fix Rolling CWM Recovery P7510 WIFI & 3g p7500 (20\05\12) - xda-developers

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I've been away all weekend, not sure if you got this sorted out or not.

It sounds like something went wrong during the process....

If you're stuck, and not sure what to do next, I'd probably go through the UN-root process, which will flash your device back to factory stock.

If you're feeling more adventurous, I'd at least make sure I can boot into CWM recovery. If you can do that, then you're technically good to go if you wanted to install a ROM or something like that.

Either way, at this point, you may be beyond the point of being able to keep your existing data.

Feel free to PM me -- I'm not on the forums 24/7, (and also not exactly an expert on all this), but I am fairly experienced in rooting and troublshooting, so I'll answer any questions I can.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10