"Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped." What does this mean?

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I am getting this error message frequently: "Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped."

It seems to have started after the ICS upgrade. What does it mean? is there an issue? Is there something I can do to fix it?

Thanks

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If you have auto-sync enabled, try disabling it.
Worked for me.

Ok I tried that but I lose auto updating for my apps.

So what does "Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped" mean? Is it slowing my tab down? Or just not auto-syncing some apps?

If I have to do a factory reset to fix the problem is that found under Settings/Back up and reset/Personal data/ Factory data reset?

Will I have to re-install all my apps and re-do folders, etc?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
What else have you tried?

I tried all the suggestions above, except the factory reset. I still frequently get the message. I don't mind the error message so much but I suspect it has something to do with the tablet slowing down significantly after I have opened a number of apps. I have to go into Task Manager and use Clear Memory to get the tablet back responding at normal speeds.

I remember seeing the error message right after the upgrade to ICS. Maybe I need to do a factory reset? How do I do that? And will it have ICS?
Will I have to re-install all my apps and re-do folders, etc?
Any other suggestions? Thanks

anon(549921)

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I used it see it on Honeycomb but since I rooted my Tab and installed an custom ROM I don't see it anymore. IIRC my issue was cured by the method above..........personally I would root and go with a custom ICS ROM, its super simple and the custom ROMS are much smoother and stable than the Samsung one.

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem on my 10.1 but I think it was another process.
I got rid of it by disabling bookmark syncing on my Samsung account.
I don't think it did anything useful anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Peter Wong

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. After doing an upgrade that it was bugging me to do, I get this message popping up every 5 seconds or so. I have no idea what it means, I can't find the process in the app manager. When I disable SYNC, the issues stops... but what does disabling SYNC do? Isn't that a pretty important function?

There must be some way to fix this issue without defeaturing the phone

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. After doing an upgrade that it was bugging me to do, I get this message popping up every 5 seconds or so. I have no idea what it means, I can't find the process in the app manager. When I disable SYNC, the issues stops... but what does disabling SYNC do? Isn't that a pretty important function?

There must be some way to fix this issue without defeaturing the phone

Your timing is perfect. I could not get it to go away and it seemed the tab was slower - getting bogged down by poor memory management. I was always clearing the memory. So...... I just did the factory reset. It is a PITA because you will have to reinstall all your apps and re-do any folders \ home screen, widgets etc.

But I will report back if that eliminates the constant error message and maybe even better performance.

Peter Wong

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Brutal. This is not productive. When I called Bell, they said there was a error during the upgrade I just did. Other odd thing is that after I reset/power the device, the ringtone starts going. Whatever this latest upgrade was, it was really poorly done.

NowThatsDope

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Its a sync issue. More than likely one of your passwords is incorrect to one if your sync accounts. Mine was Facebook, go figures. Changed it, seems to work fine now. Try it and see if that works or for ya.

Peter Wong

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok fixed. I had to factory reset - press 3 buttons simultaneously from off state. After reset, only thing I needed to do was redo folders. Apps reinstalled automatically. Had to swtup email accounts and a few other phone settings but not bad. New 4.1.1 up and running. Its much improved.

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
OK, I finally did a factory data reset. It has been several days now and not one error message. And the tab is more responsive and seems to handle memory management better. The bad news is you have to re-install all your apps. The good news is I only re-installed the apps I was actually using.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay