I'm very interested in the 10.1" WiFi model that appears to be coming out on June 8th, however I do not want TouchWiz on my tablet. Period.

I haven't found much in this direction, but is anything known yet about root expectations for the 10.1" WiFi model? If it's TouchWiz vs. another tablet, I'm going with another tablet. That may seem like a superficial factor to some, but for me it's a big deal. I'm fine with Sense on my Thunderbolt, but I don't want Samsung's TouchWiz on my tablet from what I've seen of it so far.

Plus root is always nice to have.
    03-31-2011 03:49 PM
    There will surely be root possibilities unless Samsung throws a locked boot loader onto it. Even then there a ways around it. We just don't have a lot of information on these devices yet, so until Samsung releases more info it's just a wait-and-see
    03-31-2011 08:51 PM
    That's what I was expecting to hear. Thanks for the info. Anyone else holding off on a Xoom to see how the Galaxy Tabs or others present themselves soon?
    04-01-2011 01:45 AM
    That's what I was expecting to hear. Thanks for the info. Anyone else holding off on a Xoom to see how the Galaxy Tabs or others present themselves soon?
    Don't really have the money for a tab at this point. Maybe some time this summer, so I'm sure my options will be more open at this point.
    04-01-2011 01:59 AM
    I will likely not buy the Xoom unless the Galaxy tab 8.9 is a real flop. I have a NC and iPad and one is too large and one is too small.
    04-02-2011 08:15 AM
    i am in the same boat as you. although i do have a xoom now rooted, i really like the samsung tab and how thin and light it is, but touchqiz HAS GOT TO GO. I think ill wait and see what happens with root on the device and the day someone strips it of touchwiz i will head out to purchase it.
    05-05-2011 08:42 PM
    I agree with you on that. I have high hopes, high expectations, and high standards that the 10.1 must live up to. If not, I may either look back at the Xoom or at another soon-coming tablet. I'm looking to purchase one by the second week of June, latest, which is the limiting factor for me, I think.
    05-06-2011 03:48 PM
    For what it's worth, someone rooted the 10.1" tablet we got at Google IO by 3am Pacific time on Wednesday, probably about 12-15 hours after receiving it. I saw a blog post on it somewhere, might have been at AndroidPolice. Very simple instructions, but haven't tried it yet.
    05-13-2011 06:52 PM
    Yeah the google tabs are so root-frielndly, they didn't even need any kind of exploit. They already have a recovery image which allows for flashing of unsigned images. The "exploit" as many people refer to it, was just a script to push a bunch of stuff (su, plus SuperUser.apk) to the system volume AFAIK.
    05-14-2011 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD