What is the exact story concerning Touchwiz UX?

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have seen some demos that look pretty slick, but like all skinning, I am hesitant. I have a Evo and sense was nice at first, but then it gets horribly bogged down and led me to root and run pretty stock gingerbread.

I very much like the 10.1's form factor and the lack of SD card doesn't really bother me (I have 25+ gb free on my Xoom atm), but the introduction of touchwiz makes me hesitate returning my Xoom to costco (love the 90 day return policy) and get a 10.1.

From what I have read the 10.1 will not ship with touchwiz but will be available as an OTA. Does this mean that touchwiz is a skin and nothing more, or does it involve lower level modification of the kernal and stock apps? Also does it mean that samsung will only have updates that include touchwiz or is it optional/removable.

I don't know if any of those questions are 100% answerable, but any input would be welcomed.

waltercln

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
looks like it will add minor tweaks such as the app tray and a different skin for back, home, and task bar. I believe readers hub and movie hub will be in the update if not maybe already installed (I/O edition doesn't seem to have it) and some other minor tweaks im sure.

I believe it's optional, but if you update it and want to go back, you might have to do an extra bit of work that involves going to xda for some help.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If it just a launcher skin like launcher pro, etc, I am totally fine with that. But if it starts mucking with the kernel replacing stock apps I will have a cranky.

kagenish

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
i think the best thing so you and the ones that want to buy the tab and don't know about how touchwiz will work or do wait for the update to happen most like AC will do a video show it off and example more about it.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
i think the best thing so you and the ones that want to buy the tab and don't know about how touchwiz will work or do wait for the update to happen most like AC will do a video show it off and example more about it.

Agreed. That's something I've been thinking about doing. But it's so hard to wait damn it! lol

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess you could plan on waiting until then and hopefully the update would come before then. How able are you to live without a tablet? You could always return on 6/30, and if/when TW finally comes to the tab, if you don't like it, rebuy a Xoom haha

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a link to where this is stated by Samsung?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I heard the same thing from Samsung reps at the Galaxy Tab Android Central Reader Meetup.

The only thing they weren't sure about was if you deny the TouchWiz UX update, are you also denying general Android 3.1 fixes and updates...

I think I may just take the update as it actually looks quite functional, especially that quick-apps drawer.

kagenish

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I heard the same thing from Samsung reps at the Galaxy Tab Android Central Reader Meetup.

The only thing they weren't sure about was if you deny the TouchWiz UX update, are you also denying general Android 3.1 fixes and updates...

I think I may just take the update as it actually looks quite functional, especially that quick-apps drawer.

yeah touchwiz ux looks like it adds more to honeycomb with out changing a lot, i do like that quick-app drawer.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I do agree that it seems to add many small desirable features (app drawer, quick settings in notifications panel, etc.) without taking a lot away, however the thing I don't like is the numbering for home screens. To my knowledge, it is 1-5, from left to right, and you can't change it.

Does this still stand? I think of my middle homescreen as the primary one, and dislike the numbering I've seen in TouchWiz up to now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2