Will you download TouchWiz?

ptf

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Are y'all gonna download the optional TouchWiz update when it comes? I'm undecided and wanted to see what y'all are gonna do.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I might. I wonder will there be a way to uninstall or revert back to stock Honeycomb?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I've talked about this a little in the other thread, but I want to reiterate why I see it as such a problem.

If you want to get new security updates, you have to install Touchwiz.

Whether you like it or not; that's why I'm so outspoken about it. For this reason alone I have no choice but to update to Touchwiz. It's an OTA update, not a marketplace app update (which there was no reason for them not to release it as such). Because they chose to do it via OTA instead, we'll now have longer wait periods for updates - Samsung has to apply Touchwiz to all the new builds, performance hits - an arguably useful mini app tray amongst other debatable feature inclusions that will run in the background, and a worse looking UI - though this is a personal preference which like the rest of the "enhancements", should have been optional.

I don't root my devices for security reasons and with that being said, I would need the security updates as well. So yes, I will be updating to Touchwiz unfortunately.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I've talked about this a little in the other thread, but I want to reiterate why I see it as such a problem.

If you want to get new security updates, you have to install Touchwiz.

Whether you like it or not; that's why I'm so outspoken about it. For this reason alone I have no choice but to update to Touchwiz. It's an OTA update, not a marketplace app update (which there was no reason for them not to release it as such). Because they chose to do it via OTA instead, we'll now have longer wait periods for updates - Samsung has to apply Touchwiz to all the new builds, performance hits - an arguably useful mini app tray amongst other debatable feature inclusions that will run in the background, and a worse looking UI - though this is a personal preference which like the rest of the "enhancements", should have been optional.

I don't root my devices for security reasons and with that being said, I would need the security updates as well. So yes, I will be updating to Touchwiz unfortunately.

You. Don't. Know. This. For. Sure.

I think I may update to TouchWiz as it looks kind of useful, especially that mini Apps tray. And the Quick Settings in the Notification Panel are really nice looking. The only thing I wonder about is if we can still use stock Music and stock Gmail. If not, then it's a no-go.

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You. Don't. Know. This. For. Sure.

I think I may update to TouchWiz as it looks kind of useful, especially that mini Apps tray. And the Quick Settings in the Notification Panel are really nice looking. The only thing I wonder about is if we can still use stock Music and stock Gmail. If not, then it's a no-go.

Samsung. Themselves. Have. Confirmed. It. :p

OTA does not equal Marketplace update.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I think what Stang was saying was that nobody knows how deep the TW UX will go. It's entirely possible that what you are saying is true. It's also possible that it could just be an add-on to the OS, rather than baked in. We just have to wait and see

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

I think what Stang was saying was that nobody knows how deep the TW UX will go. It's entirely possible that what you are saying is true. It's also possible that it could just be an add-on to the OS, rather than baked in. We just have to wait and see

Exactly. I never said it will be a Marketplace update, but it could be a separate OTA, totally separate from Google's OTAs. Where did Samsung confirm that it's not optional AND that it will lock you out of future 3.X OTA's?

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
They confirmed it will be an OTA update similar to the other OTA's phones have gotten that weren't Google updates. Now that could always change, with any luck plus Samsung's update history we'll get Touchwiz a week before the devices EOL, but still.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
They confirmed it will be an OTA update similar to the other OTA's phones have gotten that weren't Google updates. Now that could always change, with any luck plus Samsung's update history we'll get Touchwiz a week before the devices EOL, but still.

Yeah, but it's still gonna be optional. The question is, will they allow to get OTHER updates (3.X...) if we deny the TouchWiz UX update.

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Unless there is some compelling reason to use TouchWiz, I will most likely stick with stock Honeycomb. When it does come out, I would be interested to know if it affects device performance. Hopefully, it will be optional and we can decide for ourselves.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
My biggest problem with the touchwiz UX is how they put the damn camera button on the bottom left with back/home/switcher. What is the point of that? I've had a honeycomb tablet since February and I've probably used the camera twice just to try it. I don't want to be accidentally launcher the camera all the damn time because some idiot thought it was a good idea to put a button there.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
No, I probably will not install it. My only hope is that we can install future stock updates by "unofficial" means so I can avoid TouchWiz altogether (even though the mini app tray is a nice idea).

It would also be nice if Samsung supported stock updates as well but I somehow doubt that will be the case.I guess we'll see.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
My biggest problem with the touchwiz UX is how they put the damn camera button on the bottom left with back/home/switcher. What is the point of that? I've had a honeycomb tablet since February and I've probably used the camera twice just to try it. I don't want to be accidentally launcher the camera all the damn time because some idiot thought it was a good idea to put a button there.

The camera icon is for taking screenshots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781