Help! Email not using apostrophes

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Is this happening to anyone? From the Tab 10.1 ....

When I send email to a GMAIL account with an apostrophe in it (e.g. "I don't"), it converts the apostrophe to what I think is HTML code ("&apos") on the other end. I've tried two different keyboard and two different email clients, including the native one.

It doesn't do it when I sent to Exchange or Yahoo.

Is there some easy fix? :) Odd that this happens with Gmail.

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Is this happening to anyone? From the Tab 10.1 ....

When I send email to a GMAIL account with an apostrophe in it (e.g. "I don't"), it converts the apostrophe to what I think is HTML code ("&apos") on the other end. I've tried two different keyboard and two different email clients, including the native one.

It doesn't do it when I sent to Exchange or Yahoo.

Is there some easy fix? :) Odd that this happens with Gmail.

It's a bug that was introduced in Android 3.1, I don't know if there's a fix yet though.

Bug Report said:
Apostrophes in HTML email replies are shown as HTML codes.

To reproduce, reply to an HTML email and use an apostrophe in your reply. (must be an HTML email, plain text doesn't cause the issue)

Recipient sees the code "'" in place of every apostrophe in your reply.

Correct behavior should be to render apostrophes (') as apostrophes, not HTML codes like '. This means that if I write "you're correct" as a reply to an HTML email, the recipient sees "you're correct".

Based on my limited testing, the apostrophe is the only character that is not rendered properly to the recipient.

The bug report can be found here: Issue 16873 - android - Apostrophes shown as HTML codes in HTML replies, 3.1 - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I went to Samsung's support site and LIVE CHAT with them to report this. I suggest as many people as possible do the same to encourage a fix.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney