Case review: Belkin Slim Folio Stand for Tab 10.1

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Having just dropped over $600 on a 32GB metallic grey Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 on launch day, I was hoping to pick up a case of some sort to keep it protected during rides in my backpack. Sadly, Best Buy did not have any accesoies in stock and told me to come back on Monday (today).

So, I ran out and picked up the $50 Belkin Slim Folio Stand (Belkin, Best Buy) in blue and I have been quite satisfied so far. For the price, the build quality feels very solid and the blue and grey color scheme goes great with the blue and black UI of Honeycomb.

The tablet itself is held in the case by a lip that you fold under the bottom and tuck back behind the device. Cutouts along the sides leave the speakers plenty of rooms while openings in the bottom and top leave space for the microphone (I think?), charging/data port, power and volume switches, and the headphone jack. The cameras on both the front and back are given enough space to take pictures without issue, which you can sometimes run into on cases of poor design and/or quality.

Attached to roughly the middle of the back is the flap, which does double duty as a cover when you aren't using the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and a stand that can be secured in multiple positions. An elastic band lets yous secure the flap across the face of the tablet when you aren't using it. Along one side towards the end there are small groves which catch the bottom of the case to allow customization of the angle the tablet is held at. So far, the stand feels surprisingly solid when used in this position, which surprised me.

The stand can also be used in a more upright "viewing" position as well as a gently-sloped typing angle. This is possible thanks to a small flap on the back of the case that you can slide the edge of the cover into. The only downside to this is that the tablet is essentially upside down when in the typing position which makes the power, volume, and headphone jack somewhat awkward to access. Luckily my headphone's plug has some bend to it so I was still able to use it without issue.

Overall I think the case is a great mix of typical Belkin quality, style, and function for a middle-of-the-road price of $50. There are cheaper cases and there are more expensive cases, but the Slim Folio Stand might offer the best combination of feature and price as a middle-of-the-road option.

9/10

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this review. I've been looking around for a solid case for when I pick my tab up later in the week. Looks like I found one. :)

falconeight

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the same case and it is a very good case. I think it could be a tad bit stiffer. But thats nit picking it is a great case, it reminds me of the original ipad case with more functionality.

anon(247108)

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Very disappointed in this case. Now I am coming from an iPad with the similar Apple case, which is much sleeker. The Belkin case in my opinion adds way too much bulk to the Tab 10.1. Also, the orientation of the tab in the case so that it has to be opened to charge is also a big fail.

StevenX

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Wher did you get this case from? I got a Tab this week but there were no Samsung cases in stock and this case looks really good!

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried the Roocase for the tab on Amazon? It's about half the cost of the Belkin and seems comparable. I need to pick something up asap.

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Very nice! I ordered the RooCase, but I'm still waiting for it to be shipped. :-(

Thx SqlCowboy. I may just order one and if it doesn't fir the bill I'll return it and get the Belkin. I did notice they aren't shipping until tomorrow if I remember right. That's OK since I am traveling this week anyway. ;-)

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Samsung book case to come out. Should be out today but their site is saying back-ordered.

sqlcowboy

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thx SqlCowboy. I may just order one and if it doesn't fir the bill I'll return it and get the Belkin. I did notice they aren't shipping until tomorrow if I remember right. That's OK since I am traveling this week anyway. ;-)

They keep changing the ship dates. I bought on Sunday when it said it would be available Monday. Every day this week the web site has had a different date, and I have had no communication from the vendor, which is very disappointing as my Tab is languishing in between the pages of a magazine for protection right now.

Check the vendor's return policy before you buy it... since it's not directly from Amazon, that can vary.

Reactions: Stormhead77

LaTuFu#AC

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Nothing at my local BB. But a store rep said I should check back later this week because "they're making a tablet section" in the PC area. Great. That doesn't help the fact that there are few cases on the market for the 10.1's...

Nice review, OP. Thanks for the heads up...

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Nothing at my local BB. But a store rep said I should check back later this week because "they're making a tablet section" in the PC area. Great. That doesn't help the fact that there are few cases on the market for the 10.1's...

Nice review, OP. Thanks for the heads up...

Wow, they're just making one? Our BB has a whole area set aside for tabs. I'm amazed and how many models there are to tell you the truth. Ours has at LEAST 20 different models and sizes. I decided on the Samsung 10.1 and it seems like I made a good choice!

I wish they made a hard case with a kickstand on it. Seriously.

jdoe01

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, first post thought I'd just throw in my 2 cents. The only case my BestBuy had was this one:

Belkin : Verve Folio Stand for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Can't seem to find it on the best buy website.

Anyhow, I ended up returning it. It feels very solid, and is tailored specifically to the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (cut outs for all of the ports, buttons, and cameras). The stand feature of it works very nicely as well. My issue with it was that the material is very rough, and it transforms the slimmest, thinnest tablet of its size on the market to something about the size of a textbook.

I guess what I'm looking for is more something I can just use when I need to store/transport the tablet, not something that encases it while I use it. If you like these types of cases, however, it's not a bad option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11