do you need to close apps like you do on a samsung phone? If so how do i do it?
    06-20-2011 10:44 PM
    I know that you don't need to close apps because Android should handle that and close them by itself.

However, has anybody else noticed that after opening a bunch of applications (i.e. music player, video player, emulators, e-mail, couple readers, etc) that you may have 10+ apps showing in the app switcher? I saw this and none were going away. As a result, it looked like my tab was slowing down and I couldn't use the Sports Illustrated app or Komik app to read anymore. It seemed to be a performance issue.

I would think there would be a way to ensure apps close after a while or somehow without a hard reset.
    06-20-2011 11:12 PM
    From my experience you should not need to kill any apps. I purhased an HTC Evo 4G the day of release and it was my first time on Android. The very fist app I downloaded (because I was told I should) was an appkiller. All seemed to be going okay until I read several articles that explained how Android OS works in a bit more detail, specifically how multiple tasks are handled. The gist of it was that by constantly killing apps certain processes were unable to complete and thus would sprout up again shortly to attempt to do so. Essentially you would end up with certain apps that never truly completed a task and thus continued to try (and fail) to do so. Naturally, I went ahead and removed by appkiller and sure enough, battery life immediately improved with no change in use or coverage area. That being said, I do believe you should allow apps to finish the task at which point the app will eventually fall from the processor. HOWEVER, I must say that I too noticed some slowing or lagging today on my GT10.1 but not only was running several RAM intensive apps but I also had a whole slew of apps downloading and installing from the Market. Still I was a little bummed to see it lag! Note, it was only a matter of minutes (while I continued to use it mind you) before it was running fresh and snappy again and still had 10 apps in the multitask list.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    06-20-2011 11:44 PM
    Here's what I posted on XDA to that same question:

[...]Task killers haven't been needed for Android since 2.2.[...]

Quote from a well-known dev, cvpcs:
    …What people don’t seem to realize is that android is designed to have a large number of tasks stored in memory at all times. Why? Well basically we are talking about a mobile device. On a mobile device things tend to be slower. The hardware isn’t as robust as say a desktop or a laptop, so in order to get that same “snappy” feeling, there have to be workarounds.

One of these is how android deals with memory. Android will load up your apps and then keep them running until they absolutely HAVE to kill them. This is because that way, if you want to re-open an app, the system already has it loaded and can then just resume it instead of reloading it. This provides a significant performance increase.

What a lot of people don’t realize as well is that android kernels have their own task manager. This means that:

it will be more efficient than any app-based task manager as it is run at the kernel level, and
    it should be left up to that task killer to decide when to free up memory

There is only one case where having a task killer is a good idea, and that is when you want to kill ONE SPECIFIC APP. Killing all apps is never a good idea. You don’t know what operations they are performing or if they are necessary.
    Whitson Gordon of Lifehacker:
    This set-up implies that the goal of killing these apps is to free up memory. Nowhere on the list does it mention the number of CPU cycles each app is consuming, only the memory you’ll free by killing it. As we’ve learned, full memory is not a bad thing—we want to watch out for the CPU, the resource that actually slows down your phone and drains your battery life.

Thus, killing all but the essential apps (or telling Android to kill apps more aggressively with the “autokill” feature) is generally unnecessary. Furthermore, it’s actually possible that this will worsen your phone’s performance and battery life. Whether you’re manually killing apps all the time or telling the task killer to aggressively remove apps from your memory, you’re actually using CPU cycles when you otherwise wouldn’t—killing apps that aren’t doing anything in the first place.

In fact, some of the processes related to those apps will actually start right back up, further draining your CPU. If they don’t, killing those processes can cause other sorts of problems—alarms don’t go off, you don’t receive text messages, or other related apps may force close without warning. All in all, you’re usually better off letting your phone work as intended—especially if you’re more of a casual user. In these instances, a task killer causes more problems than it solves.
    And from a site called NextApp:

Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.

The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.

Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold “nothing” in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.

As such, using the task manager feature of SystemPanel to constantly clear memory by killing all apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. This also applies to any other task killer / management program. Generally speaking, you should only “End” applications if you see one which is not working correctly. The “End All” feature can be used if your phone/device is performing poorly and you are uncertain of the cause.
    All those quotes were aggregated for this article, if you want to read more: Revisiting Android Task Killers and Why You Still Don’t Need One… - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

So TL;DR, this:
    Basically, Android keeps tasks handy because it thinks you’ll want to perform them again in a very short amount of time. If you don’t, it will clear them out for you. It also likes to keep as many things handy as possible so that the overall performance of your device is top notch. If Android were to completely kill off everything that your phone is doing, then it would require more resources to restart all of them and you would likely run into slowness and battery drains. By keeping certain things available to you, your phone is actually running better than it would without. So please, stop killing off tasks and let Android do the work for you.
    06-21-2011 01:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD