Why did you buy Samsung 10" then another tab?

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey All,
Im am about to buy a Tablet and Im torn between a few of them.
I was wondering why you chose the Samsung 10" tablet over other ones?

I am considering The Samsung 10" and the Toshiba Thrive. At one point I was looking at the Asus Transformer and the Acer, but now I think Im better off with either Sam, or the Tosh

One of the Big thing about the Samsung that bothers me is no micro sd, so your stuck, The Toshiba has so many ports and 1080p monitor resolution.

Anyway, I was just wondering what made you make your choice. It might help me

Thanks All
Hitch

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the Acer. It had many useful ports, but I rarely used any of them. The device was quite heavy for holding it in one hand for extended periods of time. I found myself always using the device on a solid surface or in my lap. I realized I was basically using it like my netbook, and not like a tablet. I took it back in exchange for the Tab 10.1. I really like the form factor. Extremely lightweight & no problems holding it in one hand. I passed on the Toshiba as well, because it'll weigh pretty much the same as the Acer, and it's not as thin either.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I had the Acer. It had many useful ports, but I rarely used any of them. The device was quite heavy for holding it in one hand for extended periods of time. I found myself always using the device on a solid surface or in my lap. I realized I was basically using it like my netbook, and not like a tablet. I took it back in exchange for the Tab 10.1. I really like the form factor. Extremely lightweight & no problems holding it in one hand. I passed on the Toshiba as well, because it'll weigh pretty much the same as the Acer, and it's not as thin either.

Thanks for your thoughts,

I have not held any of the tablets as of yet, but wondered can you really notice a difference between a few ounces? the thickness doesnt bother me, I have big hands.
I just didnt think a few ounces really could be noticed. The issue about not being able to add memory really bothers me
tx
Hitch

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Music, movies, & pictures take up the most space on hard drives.

Music - I prefer to keep it on my iPod Touch & on my phone's sdcard for portability

Movies - I don't see myself watching too many movies on a 10 inch screen. I still prefer to watch it on my big screen TV, & at the movie theater.
As for videos, I have them stored on YouTube so that I can share them with family & friends, and stream them when needed.

Pictures - I have them stored in the cloud.

Yes, I wish it had an sdcard slot. Would I miss it. Not really.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Music, movies, & pictures take up the most space on hard drives.

Music - I prefer to keep it on my iPod Touch & on my phone's sdcard for portability

Movies - I don't see myself watching too many movies on a 10 inch screen. I still prefer to watch it on my big screen TV, & at the movie theater.
As for videos, I have them stored on YouTube so that I can share them with family & friends, and stream them when needed.

Pictures - I have them stored in the cloud.

Yes, I wish it had an sdcard slot. Would I miss it. Not really.

Can you hook up to your pc to transfer files and such?
What ever one I choose I will probably root it at some point like I did with my Dinc, It will be important to be able to transfer files from pc to tablet

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Can you hook up to your pc to transfer files and such?
What ever one I choose I will probably root it at some point like I did with my Dinc, It will be important to be able to transfer files from pc to tablet

Yes, I'm able to transfer files to and from my PC. Just be sure to install the Samsung USB drivers, and make sure USB debugging is not enabled.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm able to transfer files to and from my PC. Just be sure to install the Samsung USB drivers, and make sure USB debugging is not enabled.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

How happy are you with the screen?
From what I have read:
Asus has a great screen but suffers from light bleed
Acer screen is ok, not a good as Asus
The Toshiba Thrive will have a killer screen with 1080p resolution, some are saying this could be the best screen of any Tablet by far.

I know Samsung has always made nice screens, just not sure if they cheap'd out on the screen for this Tablet or did they put there best one in on this one? super amoled plus?
website spec only shows- Display TypeTFT-LCD high-definition widescreen touch-screen WXGA (1280 x 800)

Thanks for all your input
Hitch

jasonmh26

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I was also trying to decide between the Thrive and the Samsung Galaxy 10.1, and ended up getting the Samsung. I can't compare it to the Thrive (it isn't out yet) but the screen on the Samsung is fantastic. It is definitely better than the Xoom and the Ipad2.
The difference in weight between the Thrive and Galaxy is more than a few ounces, the Thrive is more than twice the weight of the Galaxy. The specs I saw were 2.6 pounds for the Thrive VS 1.25 pounds for the Galaxy.
The biggest difference between these 2 tablets (that I could find) besides the weight is the ports on the Thrive. At first I thought I would want the ports, but now I am not sure if there are important enough for me to be worth the extra weight. Here is how I looked at it:

I am unlikely to need the extra ports for the majority of the time I am using the tablet. The Samsung has adapters (or some are on the way) to do the same things, and I am ok with using those during the very few times I would need them.
Everyone likes to compare the Galaxy 10.1 to the Ipad2, and the Ipad2 has none of those extra ports either. It is what you give up for a device that is so sleek and light. The lack of ports didn't keep apple from selling ~10 million ipads a year.

If the ports are critical to you, then I would say the Thrive might be for you. I can say that I am extremely happy with the Galaxy. The few things that I think could be improved on are really with Honeycomb and the Android market offerings, and those things are going to exist on the Thrive as well.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I had the XOOM and returned it when I saw how thin the new Tab 10.1 was. I am extremely happy with my Tab purchase, especiially because of how thin and light this thing is. Using the XOOM as an e-reader was not optimal because of the weight. Now, with the 10.1, I love reading on my tablet. And the screen on the Tab 10.1 is just so bright and vivid compared to the iPad 2 and the XOOM. I cannot compare to the Toshiba, which looks kind of cool, but if you're looking for form factor and a beautiful screen, you can't go wrong with the Tab 10.1. Toshiba looks reallyyyy thick and heavy.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
The difference in weight between the Thrive and Galaxy is more than a few ounces, the Thrive is more than twice the weight of the Galaxy. The specs I saw were 2.6 pounds for the Thrive VS 1.25 pounds for the Galaxy.

The Toshiba weighs 1.6lbs, only 3.5 ounces heavier
specs from bestbuy:
Product Features
NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core mobile processor
Features a 1.0GHz processing speed.
1GB DDR2 memory
For multitasking power.
10.1" LED-backlit high-definition widescreen touch-screen display
With a wide viewing angle, 16:10 aspect ratio and 1280 x 800 resolution to showcase movies and games in stunning clarity.
16GB internal storage
Provides plenty of space for videos, photos, documents and more.
NVIDIA GeForce graphics
For lush images and vivid detail. HDMI output for easy connection to an HDTV.
Built-in 2.0MP front webcam
Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends. The rear 5.0MP camera with autofocus and digital zoom allows you to capture video at resolutions up to 720p.
Media card reader
Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity and SDXC formats.
High-speed USB 2.0 port
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer. mini USB port for additional connectivity options.
Built-in 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN
Connect to the Internet without wires.
Bluetooth 3.0 + HS
Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
Weighs only 1.6 lbs. and measures just 0.6" thin
For lightweight portability. Virtual keyboard features Swype for efficient typing.
Android Honeycomb operating system
Provides a stable computing platform.

Everyone likes to compare the Galaxy 10.1 to the Ipad2, and the Ipad2 has none of those extra ports either. It is what you give up for a device that is so sleek and light. The lack of ports didn't keep apple from selling ~10 million ipads a year.

I would never consider a I Pad2, my wife has the original I Pad and I hate it, Its So Slow, My Dinc phone is way faster then that old carriage. and I hate there app store, I could find apps faster if they published a book of apps. (sorry for the Rant, I dislike anything apple, but thats another topic)

I really appreciate all of your opinions, you guys have me tipping the scale towards Samsung now.

Is there anything you guys dont like about the Samsung other then no sd slot? and have you hd software issues, Fc's/lock ups? and such.......

Thanks
Hitch

LaTuFu#AC

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I can say negative about the SGT at this point is the lack of cases and accessories readily available. That is not unusual for a new product, so I expect that to change over time.

To understand the high praise, realize that I own the flaming hot mess that is the Samsung Galaxy S Mesmerize.

I was initially very wary of the SGT, just because of that experience. I'm very happy I gave it a chance.

jasonmh26

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hitch_Itch:
Interesting, i must have been looking at incorrect and/or old specs, cause several sites I have seen listed the Thrives weight at 2.5-2.6 pounds.
I am with you on the apple products. My point was that I realized that the ports must not be a huge factor in most peoples decision because even tablets without ports can sell like crazy.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Hitch_Itch:
Interesting, i must have been looking at incorrect and/or old specs, cause several sites I have seen listed the Thrives weight at 2.5-2.6 pounds.
I am with you on the apple products. My point was that I realized that the ports must not be a huge factor in most peoples decision because even tablets without ports can sell like crazy.

I guess the ports will not be a big issue as long as there will be adapters to be able to do the same thing.

I might have to bite the bullet and buy the Samsung, I have 45 days to return it if I dont like it with my best buy rewards silver membership.

Still hoping to hear from others to see about software issues or the Fc's and lock ups.

I also wonder how Samsung will be with updates on this Tablet, I know Samsungs android phone updates are absolutely Hideous when it comes to bug fixes and OS updates.

There is nothing worse then being stuck with a old OS

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I guess the ports will not be a big issue as long as there will be adapters to be able to do the same thing.

I might have to bite the bullet and buy the Samsung, I have 45 days to return it if I dont like it with my best buy rewards silver membership.

Still hoping to hear from others to see about software issues or the Fc's and lock ups.

I also wonder how Samsung will be with updates on this Tablet, I know Samsungs android phone updates are absolutely Hideous when it comes to bug fixes and OS updates.

There is nothing worse then being stuck with a old OS

I guess Samsung is doing pretty good for updates. It released the Tab 10.1 with Honeycomb 3.1. The Acer I had was still stuck with 3.0, and from what I've read in the forums, has yet to receive 3.1 yet.
As for phones, HTC isn't any better. I have the Droid Incredible, and it still has Froyo and not Gingerbread.