Browser Defaults to Mobile

kyopoboy

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how to disable the browser to default to mobile version? It's getting a bit annoying to keep changing to the desktop version every page.

kyopoboy

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
To consistently get the full, non-mobile versions of web pages, do this:

1. Type about:debug into the URL bar and press enter.
2. Go to Menu > Settings > Debug
3. Change UAString to "desktop"
Credit to tuxdotking
This was asked before already.. its ight though:)

Thanks for the help. This is exactly the kind of ability to customize I love about android.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not seeing the debug option in settings after typing about:debug. I've even tried playing around with the space between the colon and nothing has helped. I've tried it a few times too. After typing about: debug in the url bar and pursuing pressing enter, my browser window just shows grey. I go to the menu and settings and checked all the submenus and just don't see debug.

Any ideas?

aggie92

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not seeing the debug option in settings after typing about:debug. I've even tried playing around with the space between the colon and nothing has helped. I've tried it a few times too. After typing about: debug in the url bar and pursuing pressing enter, my browser window just shows grey. I go to the menu and settings and checked all the submenus and just don't see debug.

Any ideas?
There needs to be no spaces at all. Just type " about:debug " and hit go. If you start from a blank tab, you will get a blank screen, if not, the screen should stay the same. Then select menu - settings and a new (4th, I think) selection will appear in the left pane under " advanced ". I believe this only works for the stock google browser and not for a third party (firefox, opera, etc).

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
That is so strange. I'm following those directions exactly and debug just doesn't show up. I do have other browsers installed but I'm not trying this with those browsers, only the stock browser.

walhalla

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site

Credit to tuxdotking
Worked like a charm. Thanks...

1414H77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Credit to tuxdotking

That works great. Now, is there any way to accomplish the same outcomes on the Dolphin Browser so it opens only the desktop version of sites?

Reactions: jn4au

1414H77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
That works great. Now, is there any way to accomplish the same outcomes on the Dolphin Browser so it opens only the desktop version of sites?

Just found the answer to my own question. Go into Dolphin settings. Under User Agent change to Desktop.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
This is frustrating. I'm following these directions and STILL nothing! Now, when I type in the string above in the URL window, it defaults to doing a search for debug!

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Yep, me neither. Obviously by switching to another browser I can accomplish this, but figured we'd give the stock one a go first.

MonumentSquare

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
This worked like a charm for me. I felt like it was a slower, so I changed it back. But I'm glad that I know how to do it now.

For anyone else who this looked like it didn't work, I didn't think it worked at first either. But, once You type "about:debug" in the bar and hit go, it won look like anything has changed tap the menu button, it looks like a bunch of lines. You'll the menu to select in there.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I STILL can't get it to do ANYTHING for me. If I don't insert the underscore, it just goes to a grey browser window, and the additional menu option is NOT there. If I DO insert the underscore, then it does a Google Search for about_:debug.

stormed

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Currently, i have the default browser using the default mobile / android settings for browsing and a 3rd party browser (currently dolphin) setup to use desktop settings. Working out pretty well.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Keep at it, Bruce. I don't know why, maybe depends on the window that's open? I dunno, but after about 4 tries, finally, the Debug item showed up on the Settings menu. Don't give up.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I STILL can't get it to do ANYTHING for me. If I don't insert the underscore, it just goes to a grey browser window, and the additional menu option is NOT there. If I DO insert the underscore, then it does a Google Search for about_:debug.

Just open browser clear the url bar and type about:debug and hit enter. Check menu - settings see if its there. It wasn't for me once so I closed out the browser then came back in and it was there

sent to you in three dimensions

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Currently, i have the default browser using the default mobile / android settings for browsing and a 3rd party browser (currently dolphin) setup to use desktop settings. Working out pretty well.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing too, since I can't get this thing to do what others have. It's just kind of a pain in the butt when you click a link and a mobile site pops up, then I have to close that and then go to Dolphin.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I'm doing too, since I can't get this thing to do what others have. It's just kind of a pain in the butt when you click a link and a mobile site pops up, then I have to close that and then go to Dolphin.

Most mobile sites should have somewhere on the page a link that says something like "full site" or "click for full site" that way you can stay within the same browser atleast. It may even save that preference for that particular site in cookies for you

sent to you in three dimensions

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone notice that even with the default browser set to desktop and even Dolphin set to desktop, that some sites still load the "mobile" version? I have been unsuccessful in getting the ESPN website to come up as a desktop version.
Anybody else see the same?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc