Okay, greetings all. I have recently purchased my tab 10.1 and have been playing around with it for a while now. I am just wondering, I know the whole idea about android is the "open experience" it delivers to its customers but I am finding certain things to be a bit difficult for me. I am not a tech savvy individual but just an average everyday consumer.........II want to install movies and music on my tab as well as customize it as well

Is this and all other androids tablets too advanced or complicated for me? Should I return the tab and just get an ipad 2 because of its SIMPLE and BORING but easy to use and understand OS? Or should I give it just a little more time to work out the kinks and be patient? Is it just me? Any advice or help would be grateful.
    06-27-2011 10:47 AM
    i think its just you. I find it very easy to handle and easy to use. When the touchwiz ux comes out next month, it might make the experience a little easier for some. Its all up 2 u buddy.
    06-27-2011 11:17 AM
    I found it pretty easy to learn, but I defiantly see the difficulties one might have with it. I say give it a couple of days and see how well you adjust to out. If you still aren't feeling it, then maybe its best to return it for an ipad. Be sure to ask any question if you are confused about anything.
    06-27-2011 11:33 AM
    If you're here on the forums you should be ok. There is so much info available.
    It does have a slight learning curve in comparison to iOS.
    I prefer Android because of the freedom to customize.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    06-27-2011 11:43 AM
    Touchwiz should make things easier. As much as I love android, Honeycomb is a pita and needs a serious overlay.
    06-27-2011 01:11 PM
    Is this your first android device if so then yeah their is a little learning curve but give it a couple of days. Touchwiz should make it easier but here on the forums you can find help.
    06-27-2011 03:25 PM
    Android phones are easy as hell to use...Android tabs (well, this one) are a pain when you can't download an attachment unless it lets you, browser crashes whenever it wants, tab locks up whenever it wants and the market hangs up during an install...AND it won't recognize a file unless you put it exactly where the tab wants you to put it. WTF? I paid 5 bills for the damn thing! I took mine back because of that, but I hope Samsung fixes there oddities for ya'll, and quick. I loved the screen, but hated the bugs enough it made me return it.
    cloudcrier likes this.
    06-27-2011 04:28 PM
    Putting movies and music on a Tab is a drag-and-drop affair; piece of cake. Alternatively, you can use apps like iSyncr to put music on. The issue for movies is going to be: where do you want to get them from? I can stream free Amazon Prime movies just fine. Aside from that, I mainly rip my own movies into mp4s, and then just drop them into the Tab. If, however, you're looking for an easy place to get DRMd videos, iTunes is hard to beat.
    06-27-2011 09:05 PM
    This is someone trying to make a point, not sure on what side but a point none the less.
    06-27-2011 09:37 PM
    Thanks everyone for the replies and insight except for the very last comment. Don't really know what that was about but anyway, the more and more I played around with the tab, the more and more I am impressed with it. It's speed, snappiness and customizability are all key standouts to me. This forum has been extremely insightful to me as I am a former apple head (lol) (iphone and ipad) to now an android junkie (htc evo and samsung galaxy tab). Android os may not be as polished in some ways as ios but it is far superior in so many other ways. Thanks again for all your help as you will see me on these forum a lot more now I still have a couple of questions but I will search the forums first to see if they have already been asked and answered by other newbies
    06-28-2011 08:22 AM
    I found the best way to manage movies and music is to use file manager hd and connect wirelessly to your network for transfers. The file transfer takes a little longer, but it's well worth it. There are definitely some issues with honeycomb right now and I'm finding my tab to be a little more unstable than my Xoom, but it will get there. Stick with it.
    06-28-2011 08:57 AM
    Thanks everyone for the replies and insight except for the very last comment. Don't really know what that was about but anyway, the more and more I played around with the tab, the more and more I am impressed with it. It's speed, snappiness and customizability are all key standouts to me. This forum has been extremely insightful to me as I am a former apple head (lol) (iphone and ipad) to now an android junkie (htc evo and samsung galaxy tab). Android os may not be as polished in some ways as ios but it is far superior in so many other ways. Thanks again for all your help as you will see me on these forum a lot more now I still have a couple of questions but I will search the forums first to see if they have already been asked and answered by other newbies
    whodatboy, I'm curious, what things specifically did you find difficult to use that you think an iPad would make easier? I'm not asking this as an attack on you or the iPad...I just hear the comments often (albeit mostly from apple fanboys) that iOS is so simple and Android is not but I can never get anyone to divulge any specifics.
    06-28-2011 10:39 AM
    whodatboy, I'm curious, what things specifically did you find difficult to use that you think an iPad would make easier? I'm not asking this as an attack on you or the iPad...I just hear the comments often (albeit mostly from apple fanboys) that iOS is so simple and Android is not but I can never get anyone to divulge any specifics.
    This may not be what you're looking for, as I am definitely a fan of Android and not Apple but...

Often it is the lack of customization-ability that makes iOS better in the eyes of its fans. Wait...What? Apple is able to build its proprietary OS around a single specific device (iPhone or iPad), designed to sync with their own software (iTunes). Android, however, is an open-source OS that has to be built to be compatible with a multitude of devices. In other words, it is conceptually a LOT easier to diagnose and fix bugs when several of the variables have been eliminated. iOS developers know exactly what device the OS is going to be run on, and which software is going to be used to sync with the computer....Android developers, however, have a lot more variables in this realm to account for. Apple simply does not release features that they are certain will work flawlessly for their devices. For example, the original iPhone, in all it's state-of-the-art glory, didn't have a video camera (even though many cell phones had them for years), and the ability to truly multi-task is a pretty new development in iOS version as well. What would you rather have? Assurance that every feature available on a device works, or the ability to troubleshoot your own issues you may have with a particular feature?

Some people want an experience where they know what they're getting right out of the box. They don't want to have to tinker with it and customize it and try to figure out how to run certain apps. They prefer to pull it out of the box, turn it on, and have it do exactly what it claims to be able to do. Most of these people would prefer an Apple iOS product. This is also why iOS is described by many as easier.

Other folks don't want that at all, they prefer to be able to have more control over how the device is setup, to be able to tinker around with it and customize it as they see fit...install custom ROMs and non-market apps and 3rd party sync software, etc. For some, finding and fixing bugs is part of the experience that makes a device enjoyable. Most of these people would prefer Android over iOS.

Of course, the average person probably falls somewhere in the middle of this spectrum, and also of course, there many other factors to weigh in when comparing the operating systems...but this is just how I view it.
    06-28-2011 11:31 AM
    I think this is actually a very interesting thread because people are trying to get to the root of why people might prefer iOS or Android without getting defensive or getting personal. This is my first Android experience and I can see the pros and cons of both.

I come from the Mac side (iphone, iMac, all the way back to Mac IIcx!) and the state of Android now really reminds me of the days when Mac was the underdog and everyone said it was only a matter of time before Windows would land the knock out blow (which it almost did!), The biggest difference now however, is the boatload of money that Google can throw behind Android that Apple didn't have at the time. However, there is a definite David vs. Goliath mentality going on which is actually really refreshing on the Android side.

That said, as it was when the Mac was down, it's important not to gloss over the deficiencies of Android so that they can be identified and improved upon.

So my take on after opening my Tab box and turning the 10.1 on for the first time.

- Honeycomb really is much, much close to a computer experience than the iPad. You attack the problems the same way, you try to fix it the same way, but it requires a certain level of expertise. Not as much as a full blown computer, but certainly more than an iPad. Everything is pretty easy to do in honeycomb - IF YOU KNOW HOW! Transfer files to a folder - simple - if you know how. Changing the preference of the browser from mobile to desktop - simple - if you know how. Even finding a honeycomb version of an app in the Marketplace ... well, not simple and I still don't know how!

- The thing that Apple gets right is that they have a history of customer service that Google simply does not have. They identify what might be hard for a user to understand and they attack it. They tweak UI to an inch of it's life because it helps the customer experience. This forum is the closest to customer service that Google has for Honeycomb! How crazy is that?

- However, with the iPad, Apple has gone so far to take any guesswork out of the product that they've created an appliance. In the same way that there is no guesswork with a toaster there is no guesswork with an iPad. It is what it is - take it or leave it. Since Apple has already shown their cards with iOS 5, the iPad will not have Flash, will be at least another year or two before widgets, real multi-tasking, or even a way to break out of their 5 x 4 gird of icons. The iPad is a great app appliance that can't get any better than the iPhone because it's so tied into the iPhone OS.

- Honeycomb (or Ice Cream whatever) - will make quicker strides because that's the way Google rolls. Throw something against the wall and let someone else tell you how it works. A month later throw something else up.

- I'm loving my Tab 10.1, but I also love my iPhone. But, I don't want an iPhone experience for my tablet or vice-versa. Honeycomb is frustrating, rewarding, fun and stupid all at the same time. Would I recommend an Android tablet to my Grandma or friend who is not tech savvy - no way! I would recommend it to someone who wants to be on the cutting edge and wants a tablet to be more than an App appliance though.

Just my 2 (Lo-o-o-o-ng) cents.
    06-28-2011 01:06 PM
    lol...Computers and Smartphones are easy...The Samsung Galaxy 10.1? Not so much.
    06-28-2011 01:12 PM

- However, with the iPad, Apple has gone so far to take any guesswork out of the product that they've created an appliance. In the same way that there is no guesswork with a toaster there is no guesswork with an iPad. It is what it is - take it or leave it. Since Apple has already shown their cards with iOS 5, the iPad will not have Flash, will be at least another year or two before widgets, real multi-tasking, or even a way to break out of their 5 x 4 gird of icons. The iPad is a great app appliance that can't get any better than the iPhone because it's so tied into the iPhone OS.
    Right...except I want to take my toaster and crank up the power so it toasts faster and expand the amount of slots it has so I can make more toast at once.
    06-28-2011 01:24 PM
    Right...except I want to take my toaster and crank up the power so it toasts faster and expand the amount of slots it has so I can make more toast at once.
    That would be iToaster. It'll make toast faster and better - but you can only use whole wheat bread.
    06-28-2011 04:04 PM
    Lol, you guys have stolen my thread (just kidding ). I think the main reason why I preferred ios at the time was just what a couple of people have said on earlier posts. It is just simple. That doesn't mean it was better. I do have a mac and if you own one apple product, their thinking is mine as well own all apple products. I bought into that and owned an iphone and an ipad because when you own one ios product everything else that runs ios just runs seamlessly better because they are all compatible and made to work that way.

It took a long time and some friends to show me the wonders of android. The customization of android just blows me away. How you have widgets, live wallpapers etc. With apple unless you jailbreak an item (again, not tech savvy) you can only customize as much as apple will allow you. Some things with ios is as simple as a one click sync where android may take a few extra steps as I am learning. I know I made the right choice in keeping my new tab, as android continues to grow, it will get better. I guess i knew it was time for me to explore other os's when a kid no older than maybe 8-9 came into an apple store and was showing his parents how to use an ipad, but on the flip side that is just how apple wants it because simplicity and popularity sells. Period. I guess the only REAL gripe I have is that their are limited apps for the android tablet but I assume more are coming (fingers crossed)

I think the couple of minor issues I am having is because I have a mac and not a pc. I would like to know how to transfer music and movies from itunes to the tab? Is it even possible and do I need to download something in order to make it work? Any helpful advice is appreciated as always
    06-28-2011 06:34 PM
    Lol, you guys have stolen my thread (just kidding ). I think the main reason why I preferred ios at the time was just what a couple of people have said on earlier posts. It is just simple. That doesn't mean it was better. I do have a mac and if you own one apple product, their thinking is mine as well own all apple products. I bought into that and owned an iphone and an ipad because when you own one ios product everything else that runs ios just runs seamlessly better because they are all compatible and made to work that way.

It took a long time and some friends to show me the wonders of android. The customization of android just blows me away. How you have widgets, live wallpapers etc. With apple unless you jailbreak an item (again, not tech savvy) you can only customize as much as apple will allow you. Some things with ios is as simple as a one click sync where android may take a few extra steps as I am learning. I know I made the right choice in keeping my new tab, as android continues to grow, it will get better. I guess i knew it was time for me to explore other os's when a kid no older than maybe 8-9 came into an apple store and was showing his parents how to use an ipad, but on the flip side that is just how apple wants it because simplicity and popularity sells. Period. I guess the only REAL gripe I have is that their are limited apps for the android tablet but I assume more are coming (fingers crossed)

I think the couple of minor issues I am having is because I have a mac and not a pc. I would like to know how to transfer music and movies from itunes to the tab? Is it even possible and do I need to download something in order to make it work? Any helpful advice is appreciated as always
    Your question is easy...Download Poweramp or any other player with MP4 support, then drag and drop as many iTunes songs that will fit.
    06-28-2011 06:51 PM

There's a thread about transferring files that posted about transferring files:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sams...-my-tab-2.html

As for moving music I've used iSyncr (with wifi) that actually works really well. The only songs that won't move over are DRM protected (older songs that I bought through iTunes). I've had problems with the artist name being moved with the file. But there's a app called MediaFix which takes care of it - or will when the developer posts a fix soon.

Hope that helps.
    06-28-2011 08:37 PM

DoubleTwist also works pretty well and if you pay for it there is a wireless synch option.
    06-29-2011 09:56 AM
    you won't be able to transfer anything from itunes if it has protected DRM on it, keep that in mind. well, you can transfer (manually), it just won't work.

try to get an invite for google music, which has ability to upload itunes music (except DRM protected ones) to the cloud, then you can synch it with the tab and your evo. i've done it and also able to download them directly to the tab (make available offline).
    06-29-2011 10:46 AM
    Thanx for all the tips guys, I just received my invite for google music and I will be playing around with it in a little while. Im realy starting to find my way around my tab, its a learning curve but so far, its been enjoyable. Where do you guys go to get movies to download on this beauty??
    06-29-2011 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD