Different methods of charging

nickthorley

May 28, 2013
Visit site
At the moment I have been charging my tablet only when it needs it and running it down to 7 or 8% and then doing a long charge. However with my podcast manager (beyondpod) set to download when on charge, its tempting to put it on charge each night and leave it on all night and then the pods can download overnight too. My question is - does having it on charge all night at 100% harm the battery in any way. I would estimage on an average day I use about 30 - 40% of the battery. Hence putting it on charge each day it will charge that 30 - 40% in a few hours and then sit at 100% for the majority of the night. Would doing my other method of giving it 2 - 3 days until its practically dead be better for the device.

Putting it on charge each night is convenient but I dont want to do this at the expense that the battery dies early.

Any opinions / advise welcome

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've seen a few opinions regarding this and can't say for certain what the right answer is. Most will argue that leaving the device connected past 100% for extended periods of time will do long term harm to the battery. If you don't need to keep the device charged overnight then consider not doing it. My phone stays connected overnight, only because I need it at 100% for the next day. But then again, the battery is easily replaceable if I see noticeable battery drain.