Dictating a message using voice to text using voice commands

kaschiro

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I like the function of dictation, a lot easier that hunt and peck...My main question are there voice commands to control a
1.new line
2.period (end of sentence)
3. question mark
4. new paragraph

voice commands would be much easier than stopping to create a new line ...etc
Any help in this area would be helpful
Kas:):)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
All of those commands are the right ones to do what you want. For example, saying "butter new line milk new line eggs" will result in:

butter
milk
eggs

You might need to pause briefly when saying new line or it will insert the text "new line" in it. So more like "butter...new line....milk...new line....eggs"

Same with question mark, period, and new paragraph. But they all should work.

pnneilson

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
You can use new line or enter and perhaps other commands. The secret is to preced it with punctuation like a period.

Have a nice day (period enter)

chokka21

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I am having trouble getting the voice to text to recognise 'exclamation mark' as a punctuation point in my N5. It continually writes it as text rather than punctuation. I have the language set to English UK. I note this command does work if I set the language to English US but then it doesn't understand anything else I say! The voice to text in English UK language works for all other punctuation commands. It's driving me nuts. Any ideas anyone?

chokka21

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Bosbouer. Yes, I should have made it clear. I have tried 'exclamation point'; 'exclamation'. Nothing works. The frustrating thing is is that it does work if I switch the language in the settings menu to English US. That is weird. As I say however, can't keep it on English US as the device then fails to understand other words I say - wrong accent! I have actually inadvertently stepped into the wrong forum. I have a Google Nexus 5, operating on Kit Kat 4.42 now. (It was the same before update from 4.4 to 4.4.2). I was so excited at finding a thread that dealt with voice to text issues, I failed to see it was it was for Samsung devices......All Android though!

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Bosbouer. Yes, I should have made it clear. I have tried 'exclamation point'; 'exclamation'. Nothing works. The frustrating thing is is that it does work if I switch the language in the settings menu to English US. That is weird. As I say however, can't keep it on English US as the device then fails to understand other words I say - wrong accent! I have actually inadvertently stepped into the wrong forum. I have a Google Nexus 5, operating on Kit Kat 4.42 now. (It was the same before update from 4.4 to 4.4.2). I was so excited at finding a thread that dealt with voice to text issues, I failed to see it was it was for Samsung devices......All Android though!

Have a look here, it is part of the Android central forum and you are already registered.
Google Nexus 5 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I know the Voice to text app does the same when I try to use it with South African English and the US version spelling is not to my liking

Spikes

chokka21

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much. I did find the N5 forum and have posted the same message to that site - no replies to date! Appreciate your effort to assist. :)

Zogg77

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi: I am using JellyBean 4.2.2 on a Samsung Note 8. Using English US language dictation works quite well. Can use voice commands to insert a coma, period, new line or paragraph. However, when I change to Spanish (Mexico or Bolivia) the voice recognition in that language is good, but voice commands do not work.
Question: does anyone know if JellyBean 4.3 corrects this issue. That is voice commands in languages other than US English are functional.
Thanks

Zogg77

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi: I am using JellyBean 4.2.2 on a Samsung Note 8. Using English US language dictation works quite well. Can use voice commands to insert a coma, period, new line or paragraph. However, when I change to Spanish the voice recognition in that language is good, but voice commands do not work.
Question: does anyone know if JellyBean 4.3 corrects this issue. That is voice commands in languages other than US English are functional.
Thanks

LaBecs

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I just got the Galaxy S6, and coming from an iPhone, I love everything about it, but this issue is a problem for me. I am totally used to dictating both in English and Spanish. Sometimes, it will do punctuation in English. I say sometimes, because I have a slight accent. But in Spanish, it won't do it at all. It's discouraging to see that in so long, it's an issue that has not been addressed by Samsung :(