Software Update problems

Team5D

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Android version 4.2.2. When I attempt a software update, the device is unable to do it ("Failed to update firmware. Try again using computer software (Kies) or visit a Samsung service center"). I tried using Kies, device is recognized, Firmware Upgrade and Initialization starts and goes all the way to 100%. At that point, I hear a sound like my device is disconnected from my laptop (even though the USB is still connected), the pop-up showing update status becomes unresponsive (I have to close it through task manager), and according to my tablet and Kies, nothing updated. What do I need to do??? I can't even add up how much time I have spent on this. It's making me crazy!

Team5D

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I found another thread on the same issue and followed these directions:

1. Go to software update
2. Downloaded the update
3. Choose to install later
4. Plug tablet in and shut down the system
5. Us the volume down and power button to boot into recovery (http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html)
6. Choose update from Cache
7. Choose the Fota Options
8. choose install.zip
9. Let the install go through
10. Choose reboot system now and when the screen goes dark plug in the tablet.
11. Power the tablet back on and wait for tablet to update.

Except during Step 10, when I chose reboot system now, it went straight to updating, rather than going dark. I did not plug in while it was updating (step 10&11). After trying many supposed solutions that failed miserably, this was a complete success! Glad it's done, but what a mess!

Makoto Omoto

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Firmware update! If it doesn't work for you after repeated attempts, try the steps below:

1. Go to software update
2. Downloaded the update
3. Choose to install later (3 hours, 1 hour, or 30 minutes)
4. UNPLUG tablet and shut down the system *HOLD POWER BUTTON UNTIL SCREEN SHOWS POWER OFF or RESTART*
4.5 Choose POWER OFF
5. Hold the volume down key and power button simultaneously to boot into recovery (be careful, if you hold for too long it will reboot to POWER OFF and show a battery icon); You will know when you have accessed the Recovery feature when the screen shows the green Android figure and then a list of options in yellow font.
6. Choose update from Cache
7. Choose the Fota Options
8. Choose install.zip
9. Let the install complete
10. Choose reboot system now and when the screen goes dark plug in the tablet.
11. Power the tablet back on and wait for tablet to update.

This does work, but you have to unplug and plug the device into an electrical socket during the specified times.

Wow, Samsung created a difficult firmware update for the average user!

Last edited:

AGuyNamedFrank

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I just had this same problem. After a while of banging my head on the wall, it turns out that the thing that was preventing me from updating was my date & time settings. My tablet was completely drained of power and so the time was reset on it. I think this was preventing it from updating because it was thinking that the the SSL certificates on the update server were invalid (I found this out because even going to google using https://google.com was failing with an invalid certificate error). As soon as I corrected my date & time my tablet was able to download & install the update without issue.

Hope this helps somebody...

Regards,

Frank