Hi All - a newbie here. Wondering if someone could help provide some insights.

I just got a good deal on a couple of used Sprint Samsung Tab 2 10.1's. I purchased them with the intention of using them to watch my DirecTv programming on. Both are model #'s SPH-P500, hardware version P500.05, running Android version 4.1.2. DirecTV told me I need at least 4.2 to use the DirecTV app.

I'm not computer illiterate, but have very little experience with changing anything more than the common settings. Can I upgrade these myself easily? Will it work well - I've seen threads about people downgrading? Should I just move these 2 down the road and buy a newer version?

TIA!
    10-14-2016 01:55 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Since it's a Sprint-specific device, they might have to be active on the Sprint network in order to receive the official system update OTA. You might be able to update it with Samsung Kies (or Smart Switch, but a device this old might not be compatible). I can't find any official firmware ROMs on the SamMobile site for that model number, which is a little odd -- this makes me think that Sprint controls the firmware distribution tightly.
    10-15-2016 03:26 AM
    Thanks for the welcome and the response. I tried using Samsung Kies and it says that is the latest software version available. I just realized the available memory is only 4.5gb anyway. Is that big enough to work using Odin? Not sure it's going to be worth the hassle. I may just move these down the road. I'm afraid that even if I do find a way to upgrade the OS, it will lag a lot.
    10-15-2016 07:13 AM
    Sorry, I don't have direct experience with Odin, so I'm not sure. Maybe you could try bringing it to a Sprint store and see if the rep would be nice enough to flash the update. Or the Samsung rep at a Best Buy.
    10-15-2016 12:40 PM
    Great suggestion about the Samsung rep at Best Buy. I'll give that a shot.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-16-2016 07:23 AM
    Hi, I also have a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10" ( SPH-P500, which I think is just for Sprint versions of the Tab 2 10"). And I've always wanted to know how or if I could update it. I bought mine new 2.5 years ago at a great price at the time, however I never intended on signing up for Sprint service it was just $60 cheaper than the non-Sprint models.
    So, every time I boot it up it tries to begin activation with Sprint and I have to hit cancel, which is a bit annoying. 1 of my favorite hobbies is reading and my local public library now has almost 750,000 EBooks, audio books, and movies available for free to borrow by downloading from any location! A 10" screen is the smallest size I'm comfortable to do a large volume of reading on, but this version of Android can no longer handle the new apps now required by the library I can't afford purchasing another tablet until at least the middle of Summer. I would also love to be able to watch television shows from my Verizon account on this device, but I don't know what version , if any this device can be upgraded to without being a computer scientist. I don't expect to be able to do any pencil sketching until I get a new tablet, but that looks seriously cool.

Did Sprint or Best Buy reps help you out at all?
    My Best Buy doesn't have any Sprint reps, so I'll try the local Sprint store soon, even though its not a designated repair site that has people who really know what your talking about, but I'm much more concerned with finding anybody wiling to talk to me once I say there's no way I'm signing up for a contract on this device or any other (my Boost phone can be a free Hotspot, if I upgrade Android as well, so that's awesome!) I haven't encountered too many comission based employees in this part of the country that will give you the time of day once they know that you're not going to make a purchase ESPECIALLY IN DECEMBER. LOL

I don't know anything about rooting an Android device, but I would love to learn What is the latest version of Android that you guys think is possible for this model?
    I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" that came free with my television. It has a 1/4 white line of damaged pixels and is still on Android 4. I'd be willing to practice rooting on that device over the holidays, just in case I "Brick" it or whatever you call destroying it.

I plan on doing some research on this site into what Samsung Kies is and exactly how to do it in the near future.

Thanks for any info or suggestions you can provide. Have a Great Day!
    12-01-2016 04:08 PM