Jelly Bean? Is it realistic.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
This is my first Samsung product. How's their track record with updating

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

AHAHAHAHAHAHA you're joking right?! They're terrible with it. My Galaxy S II is still running Gingerbread! :banghead:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what more Jelly Bean would bring to this device. ICS is pretty good, much better than Gingerbread. I'm okay if it doesn't get upgraded.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
It depends on carriers mostly. I have a Galaxy S II and have had ICS since February. I have the international version that was sold in Korea.

Sent from another galaxy... Tab 2 10.1

Ballpark402

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I think Samsung has to upgrade. If they have jelly bean then that's one less thing the Nexus has on them. It gives them a fighting chance.

trooperoutlaw

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Stock Jelly Bean launcher doesn't do landscape view when on home screens, just FYI. At least on the Nexus 7. Maybe Samsung's launcher will allow this. If not, I hear that other launchers work in landscape on home screens. I use the Go Launcher myself and really like it.

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Stock Jelly Bean launcher doesn't do landscape view when on home screens, just FYI. At least on the Nexus 7. Maybe Samsung's launcher will allow this. If not, I hear that other launchers work in landscape on home screens. I use the Go Launcher myself and really like it.

Probably because Google wants the Nexus 7 to be used mostly in potriat since it is aimed at the Kindle Fire. There is no way they will push it to bigger tablets without landscape.

trooperoutlaw

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Probably because Google wants the Nexus 7 to be used mostly in potriat since it is aimed at the Kindle Fire. There is no way they will push it to bigger tablets without landscape.

I agree. But the Tab 2 (this forum anyway) is a 7" device. I think I read that anything above 7" would have landscape views.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is notoriously slow when it comes to OTA updates for smartphones,
but part of the blame goes to the cellular carriers.

With Galaxy Tab(Wi-Fi only), there is not such delay. Once Samsung has
Jelly Bean ready to be pushed out over OTA, it will do so very quickly.

However..... there's not evidence that they're even working on a Jelly Bean
update at all. :D

CeluGeek

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree. But the Tab 2 (this forum anyway) is a 7" device. I think I read that anything above 7" would have landscape views.

What I read is that Google wanted its Nexus devices to have a consistent UI and that's why they went with the phone UI on the Nexus 7. The tablet UI is still available in Jelly Bean and while it makes more sense on tablets with bigger screens, manufacturers won't be tied to using the phone UI on any of their tablets. Be it a 7-inch or a 13-inch tablet, the OEM can choose the UI that best suits their hardware design.

So Samsung can still update their 7-inch models with Jelly Bean and keep the tablet UI, or they can switch to the phone UI ala Nexus 7.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
What I read is that Google wanted its Nexus devices to have a consistent UI and that's why they went with the phone UI on the Nexus 7. The tablet UI is still available in Jelly Bean and while it makes more sense on tablets with bigger screens, manufacturers won't be tied to using the phone UI on any of their tablets. Be it a 7-inch or a 13-inch tablet, the OEM can choose the UI that best suits their hardware design.

So Samsung can still update their 7-inch models with Jelly Bean and keep the tablet UI, or they can switch to the phone UI ala Nexus 7.

Why is Google acting more and more like Apple these days? :(

conman1395

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Why is Google acting more and more like Apple these days? :(

Um... I don't see how they are. Its their device so they do what they will, but still leave the ability to have customization amongst the third-party android devices. What is it they're doing to be like apple? I'm just curious, not trying to be an arse.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969