Galaxy Tab 2: Won't charge when powered on

namichael

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
For one reason or another my tab won't charge if the device is powered on. If I plug it in when it is turned on a little red X appears over the battery icon in the system tray when I check the battery status is continues to say discharging. But when I turn it off it will charge albeit very slowly. Any thoughts?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Last edited by a moderator:

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Won't charge when powered on

Are you charging with the factory charger or through another charger or a usb port. Only the factory charger will rapid charge your Tab and charge it while it is ON. It will charge slower when ON! The factory charger can supply up to about 2 A, while a USB port or cell phone charger can usually supply less than 1/4 of that!

namichael

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Yes I'm using the factory charger. It didn't do this when I first got it. I noticed it started to do this an update. Not the most recent one but the update before that. I mean it isn't a huge problem. I just plug it in over night and most times it'll be charged by morning. It is just a slight in convenience that I have to set aside 8 or 9 hours for charging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

When charging with a USB port I get an X on the little green battery in the bottom right of the screen. When charging with the factory wall charger I get a lighting bolt on the battery.

extraclass

namichael

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

That is what mine did before a couple of the updates. Now it's red X all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

Pam Erickson

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm having the same problem. I've had my tablet since May. It just started doing this yesterday--red x while charging when the tablet is On. I'm using the same factory charger that I've always used. I notice if I plug it in and unplug it and do that a couple of times, eventually it will start charging again. However, it always charges if I turn the device off. Very annoying. :( Do anyone know what is causing this problem and how to fix it? It seems to be a real issue since more than one person is having the same problem with the factory supplied charger.

Katrina Tahuri

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

For one reason or another my tab won't charge if the device is powered on. If I plug it in when it is turned on a little red X appears over the battery icon in the system tray when I check the battery status is continues to say discharging. But when I turn it off it will charge albeit very slowly. Any thoughts?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Katrina Tahuri

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

My galaxy is doing the same thing i thort i had un installed something or updated something i wasn't suppose to but now i realise this is a common problem, something we were not warned about upon purchasing this,,,, very unhappy and so inconvenient, i would not recommend this 2 anyone.

paan91_haddy

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

hi, i have same problem. my device is samsung galaxy note 2 from vodafone ireland. this is totally weird problem. i need to switch off the phone when charging it. but sometimes it not even charge after i switched it off. but when i try to charge again next morning (switch off) it's charging again. i dont know this problem come from the battery or the device itself:'(. i use original cable which come with the phone. so the cable problem wont arise.
p/s: i still have the warranty but i dont want hassle to go there, if u guys have alternative, just try to help me out.wll ya??

1magine

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Same problem. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 inch. Using the plug it came with. Tried all wall outlets. Turned off all antennas. Blew out all plugs and connections. Reset to factory defaults. Still not working. 3 weeks old. Samsung support acts like they have no idea. They don't even cross ship. Taking it back to Costco - fortunately they have a 90 day warranty on Tabs. But very dissapointed in the workmanship and corporate attitude.

Dawn Walker

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

im having the same problem. Do you have any answets for me.

- - - Updated - - -

im having the same problem. Do you have any answets for me.

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

The stock charger charges while power is ON and it's rated at 2A. My question is how come a 3rd party charger (from Best Buy), with a 2.1A USB power rating cannot charge the Tab 2.0 7" unless I turn power off? Is it possible that the stock charger supplies extra pins (or additional ones) so that the tablet can charge while powered?

By the way, I bought the 3rd party one from Best Buy as the stock Samsung model has been on BACK ORDER for a while on Samsung USA's site.

Rostislav Popov

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

hey i got my tab2 7.0 on Christmas, i only got it and after20 min it started doing the x thing. after 4-5 weeks*or today*
my dad hit the fork of the charger on the table and it started to work for couple of minutes but then it stoped again *hes trying to figrue it out in the background, lol*

shanedonna

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I've had the same problem, ever since the update to Jelly Bean. Samsung was completely unhelpful & internet searches futile...until I found the answer on YouTube, of all places.

With the tablet plugged in to the wall, I pressed volume up and down at the same time & held for 10 seconds. Tablet reboots. After startup, shut it down. Mine started charging normally - FINALLY!

Time will tell whether this is a long term fix...still have to check if the doggone thing will "talk" to the computer now - it wasn't doing that, either.

Source: timdawg919 comment on YouTube video by Aarsnai "Samsung tab 2 not charging" Samsung tab 2 not charging - YouTube

brianjohnd

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

just tried the volume reboot solution and noticed that volume button is not working as well

has anyone found a solution yet

joemb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

Thanks
Had exactly the same problem.
soft reset didn't work, but pressing both volume buttons (no idea how that differs) seems to have fixed it.
My Tab 2 7.0 now seems to be charging normally.

Viraj Shah

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

just tried the volume reboot solution and noticed that volume button is not working as well

has anyone found a solution yet
the volume rebooy button doesnT work probably because you upgraded to Jellybean... you can just hold the power button then hit restart

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon