is 8 gb enough memory?

alanierrn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
My fiance' gave me the galaxy tab 2 7 inch for christmas with intentions that I would be able to expand the memory with an SD card. Well I have noticed that out of the box it really only has 4 gb, and it won't allow you to transfer apps to SD card. Is 4 gb enough memory for apps? How many apps can you have on this? I am trying to decide if I need to return this and get one with a bigger memory capacity.

jenni122701

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If you use the sd card to hold all your other files and music, books and so forth, there should be plenty of room for apps. It will hold a lot of them. Chances are if you used up all that for apps you would have apps on there you are not even using. LoL!

Sent from my UNrooted Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You can only put music, books, and movies on the sd card if you put it there yourself from a computer and have apps that will look for them. If you get the content through the apps themselves (Kindle yo get books, Flixster or Play Movies for movies) then you cannot use the sd card as the apps will put the content on the internal memory and if you move them yourself, the app doesn't know to look for it.

I've found the only thing that the sd card is good for its DRM free media. So unless you rip your own movies or only read the free out of copyright books, the only way that the sd card would be of us would be for pirated content.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ThatGuyLurkin

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
4 gigs is more than it sounds like to be honest. I have a total of 50-60 apps using 1/2 my space of 1Gigabyte.

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk 2

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes, a million times over, 8 gigs is plenty.

IF you buy a Samsung, and make use of a microSD card.

The included 8 gigs is PLENTY for apps and such. Just leave that alone, pop in a 32-gig microSD card (about $25), and load it up with all of the music, videos, and such that you can stuff onto it.

No worries, piece of cake.

Just compare a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 at $200, plus a 32-gig microSD card at $25 to any MP3 player with that kind of memory, and you're spending LESS money for a MASSIVELY more useful device. Or, compare it to a 32-gig Kindle Fire HD, and once again it's a more capable device for less money.

alanierrn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tried the SD card yet, but I am skeptical because I have read so much that either apps can't save to it or after people transfer files to it the tablet is unable to read them.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Well put thoots. You covered it pretty well. The Tab-2 gives you about 4Gig for apps! How many apps can you put in 4 Gig, maybe 150-200? You can't need that many apps! You can't use that many apps. If you have used all the memory with apps I will bet good money you have icons on your tablet that you have no idea what they are. I have 87 apps on my Tab-2 and plenty room left for more apps. I think people see this as an imaginary problem that is not a real problem.

I also have at least a hundred songs, a couple hundred photos and several full length videos including a couple football games. They are on my SD card and I have room for more! If I want to take some more movies with me when I make a long trip I just load them on another SD card!

BTW I still have 1.92 Gig on the Tab-2 and 2.25 Gig on a 16 Gig SD card. There is no memory shortage here!

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I copy photos, movies and music to my Phone (HTC Shift) and Tablet with windows explorer. Never had a problem! I do not use any kind of SYNC program to do this because I want to control what I put on my phone and tablet. Then I make a backup copy of my SD cards and wife's sd card on my computer just in case!

I do use Google Sync for my address book and calendar.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Have you had any problems getting your photos, videos, and songs on the SD card?

Really, this shouldn't be a problem. I prefer getting 32-gig cards -- might as well get more than 16, and going to 64 is a bit of an ordeal, as far as I understand.

Just turn the tablet off, then insert the microSD card. Then, turn the tablet on, and go into the settings and check the Storage setting to see that it "sees" the microSD card properly.

If it does, just hook up the USB cable between the tablet and the computer -- this would be the Samsung cable with its big tablet-side connector. You should see the usual little taskbar notifications that drivers are being loaded, and once that's done, you should be ready to go. Launch Windows Explorer, which should show the "Tablet" and the tablet's "Card." Then, just drag and drop from your computer to the SD card, as you normally would. Presumably you'll want to make new folders on the card like "Music" and "Pictures" and "Videos," and so on -- and then just drag your media files into those folders. Piece of cake.

It is actually possible to move SOME apps to the SD card, but that's generally done after you install them, and you do it on the tablet itself. But, with the 8gb Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, I would just leave them on the tablet's memory, and keep your media files on the SD card. That should be plenty of room for everything.

Bottom line, though, this should all work very well.

alanierrn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Can you put ebooks on the memory card if its bought off of an app? How about transferring pictures from all share play to the memory card?

UkGalaxytab2user

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I got 8gb tab2 7.0 couple months ago for my birthday and when I saw it only had around half available I was disappointed, but going from 2 cheap 4gb brands that had 2 partitions it was nice to see just 1 partition because at the time I had a sd card with all my game apps with 1 game being just under 2gig ( new nfs most wanted) which I paid for, so was happy to use it again even though had to reinstall all apps... I have however twice got so low on space I had the warning, so deleting nfs and some games over 150-250mb and other apps i stopped using and then putting some movies I downloaded on to sd has brought it back up so the size doesn't bother me anymore and currently only got a 1gig car game and some small apps still going... if you delete updates for apps you dont use but cant remove and same goes for the cached then unless you use massive files you shouldn't have to worry about 4gig only, ever!

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
8GB's seems to be enough for me. I have the applications I wanted installed. I also do have a 64GB MicroSD card for my movies and music :). Now I only wish it had the screen sharing function so I could stream to my TV with the Samsung Dongle I have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci