Why I HATE the 4.1.1 upgrade!

Hankster65

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I was perfectly happy with ICS but since the update for Jellybean was sitting on my Tab 2 7.0 this morning I figured there would be no harm done in upgrading. What a mistake! Here's why I hate the upgrade.

1. Much to my utter astonishment, dismay, and distress the update COMPLETELY got rid all my screen buttons on every stinking screen. (Including carefully constructed pointers to file folders, pointers to web sites...EVERYTHING. I've carefully tweaked those screens for a year and these idiots have the audacity to completely destroy them and replace them with their unwanted bloatware without a single word of warning? Are you kidding me? Their arrogance is unbeleivable. (Hey, Google, what's that about "Don't Be Evil?")

2. The Back and Main buttons used to be very sensibly located directly under my left thumb. Now they're located half way across the tablet where neither thumb can reach them without a stretch. I understand they're trying to make tablets and phones to be consistent, a one size fits all sort of thing. Well one is a PHONE and the other is a TABLET! One size does NOT fit all.

3. The status screen button was moved to the top of the screen putting it in an inconvenient location and eating up screen real estate. Also, it no longer shows battery charged percentage. A classic example of fixing something that was not broken.

I would write more but I gotta get back to trying to rebuild my screens. BTW, I really know where I'd like to stick their jellybeans.

HisSvt76

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened when my Xoom got JB but worth it as JB is so much better than ICS just hope we get 4.2 it is best so far and adds Google's version of swipe to the keyboard and it is nice.

nancyt22

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't too impressed with this update either. You can put the battery % on...it's listed under Display. I noticed the RAM went^ 770, but with the upgrade the OS increased by the same amount so that was a wash.

firestartar

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Same here, the drastic changes are annoying. I want my tablet back! And how to take a screenshot now?

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Android Central Forums

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why you're blaming Google as Samsung is the one to blame. You're not running stock Android...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lakland

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Same here, the drastic changes are annoying. I want my tablet back! And how to take a screenshot now?

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Android Central Forums

Power plus volume down botton at the same time

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358173224916.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358173224916.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 71

jeff_wilson

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else notice that the "mute" function in the status bar pull down menu doesn't seem to effect media volume? In ICS it was a simple thing to mute the device entirely. Now, even though the mute is on, my video and music players are not muted at all. Thoughts?

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Overall things seem faster to me. Not a fan of the UI changes, though; the moving of the soft navigation buttons to the middle, and moving the status bar to the top. The status bar is a travesty actually, in my opinion.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

HisSvt76

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The status bar is all Samsung stock jellybean on my nexus 7 is much better. But it is more uniform jumping from device to device. Would really like the update to 4.2 and Google swipe keyboard, it is so nice.

gyoung345

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I was perfectly happy with ICS but since the update for Jellybean was sitting on my Tab 2 7.0 this morning I figured there would be no harm done in upgrading. What a mistake! Here's why I hate the upgrade.

1. Much to my utter astonishment, dismay, and distress the update COMPLETELY got rid all my screen buttons on every stinking screen. (Including carefully constructed pointers to file folders, pointers to web sites...EVERYTHING. I've carefully tweaked those screens for a year and these idiots have the audacity to completely destroy them and replace them with their unwanted bloatware without a single word of warning? Are you kidding me? Their arrogance is unbeleivable. (Hey, Google, what's that about "Don't Be Evil?")

2. The Back and Main buttons used to be very sensibly located directly under my left thumb. Now they're located half way across the tablet where neither thumb can reach them without a stretch. I understand they're trying to make tablets and phones to be consistent, a one size fits all sort of thing. Well one is a PHONE and the other is a TABLET! One size does NOT fit all.

3. The status screen button was moved to the top of the screen putting it in an inconvenient location and eating up screen real estate. Also, it no longer shows battery charged percentage. A classic example of fixing something that was not broken.

I would write more but I gotta get back to trying to rebuild my screens. BTW, I really know where I'd like to stick their jellybeans.
I agree with all of what you have here.

nancyt22

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't really use that fx b 4..I'm playing music right now with the mute button on...isee the mute icon in the upper rt by the battery icon. I noticed I muted the keykeyboard. Maybe it will only block certain sounds...like notifications and msgs...I get them when playing wwf an it is annoying when that sound come through...it is o much louder than wat I have the volume set at. Sorry about the typos..this keyboard doesn't seem to be as responsive as the old one. Nt

dddougal

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else notice that the "mute" function in the status bar pull down menu doesn't seem to effect media volume? In ICS it was a simple thing to mute the device entirely. Now, even though the mute is on, my video and music players are not muted at all. Thoughts?
Iv noticed this. it doesnt seem to mute certain notifications either. Its probably so you can mute everything separately but its a pain in the ass to be quite frank.

wsti

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
does anyone else get problems with connecting to wifi? i keep getting "Authentication error occurred" when i try to connect to a secured network. I'm 100% sure i'm typing the password in correctly, it's my home network, and my phone and xbox connects to it perfectly. but it also does it at my friends' house, and they haven't changed their passwords. never had this problem until i updated to JB. i connect to unsecured networks fine, but i don't want to open up my network for everyone in my neighborhood just for the tablet.

DJxDARIENx

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Battery percent can be changed, screenshot button is Lock and VLume buttons at the same time. JB made MY tab faster, and has less of a lag...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool