Do NOT upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 until you read this

solar ken

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Please do as I should have and read as many forums including this one about how the new Jelly Bean 4.1.1 operating system upgrade will change certain features and looks your Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and 7.0 tablets. I wish I would have not upgraded, and wish there was a simple was to revert back to Ice Cream Sandwich operating system.

Too bad someone else didn't make a post like this for me to see before I did the upgrade.

Good luck... you may like the upgrade.

jtskier11

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Please do as I should have and read as many forums including this one about how the new Jelly Bean 4.1.1 operating system upgrade will change certain features and looks your Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and 7.0 tablets. I wish I would have not upgraded, and wish there was a simple was to revert back to Ice Cream Sandwich operating system.

Too bad someone else didn't make a post like this for me to see before I did the upgrade.

Have you tried to revert back to UEBLH2 (ICS) using ODIN?

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

What changed that you didn't like?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, sure.

I'm happy with my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 as it came out of the box, and I would rather NOT install the JB update.

However, "JUST HOW IN THE HECK DO YOU DO THAT?!???"

The download is automatic. You can't stop it.

Then you get a notification to install it. You can "delay" that.

So, what are you going to do? Hit the "delay for another three hours" button for the rest of your life?

I even figured out how to delete the dang file after delaying it:

Settings / Application Manager / All / Software Update -- then tap the "clear data" button.

It's gone!

Until it starts downloading again.

Though, there are two different "Software Update" entries -- I've been clearing the data on the bigger file -- 136K on my tablet. Maybe this time I'll try clearing both of them.

Seriously, if anyone knows how to truly kill this damn thing FOREVER, I'd love to hear how you've done it!

lakland

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
What changed that you didn't like?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I was on jb4.1.1 for a week. I updated via kies. THey change the look and feel to phablet UI.

MY personal experience, there were lag changing screen, freeze apps. THe whole experience was a BIGPHONE screen, not the tablet UI.

I do not find anny speed improvements, I think there is a placebo effect on those who says so.

The only thing that I notice is that the wifi reception was better and the google now. Other than that, nothing interesting

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD

lakland

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

IF you want to go back use this link. I used it, clear and simple. I did today.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2007876

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
HAH!!

What about this:

Settings / Application Manager / All / Software Update

After clearing the data on the second entry, it disappeared, leaving only one left, which pretty obviously was the Software Update app.

So.... Heck, just go into it and hit the "Disable" button.

Job done.

Leave me alone!! Jellybean, BEGONE!! :mad:

lakland

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
HAH!!

What about this:

After clearing the data on the second entry, it disappeared, leaving only one left, which pretty obviously was the Software Update app.

Job done.

+1

compsmart

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been following the JB update threads here for the past couple of weeks. I updated my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to 4.1.1 and hardly even noticed a difference in ANYTHING after the update.
Was there a significant difference between the 7" and 10.1" - as far as the 4.1.1 update is concerned?

lakland

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been following the JB update threads here for the past couple of weeks. I updated my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to 4.1.1 and hardly even noticed a difference in ANYTHING after the update.
Was there a significant difference between the 7" and 10.1" - as far as the 4.1.1 update is concerned?

Huge difference! Relocation of icons, relocation of notifications , hamlet ui vs tablet ui among others. I revert back to ics:D

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

As far as I know the 10.1 and 7 inch updates should pretty much be the same.

I agree on your observation... a few things changed position, but it is still generally the same interface. In my opinion, it is not enough to want to move back. But, different people have different needs and desires... it is what makes UI design such a pain. :)

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
HAH!!

What about this:

Job done.

Thanks for posting this. I forgot about that nag. :)

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I personally love the JB update on my 7.0
Way better WiFi signal, and seems to run a little faster and I really like the new screen customization, just makes everything look cleaner and more tidy.
On the downside, like on my GS3 I have experienced more battery usage.
Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

HisSvt76

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I personally love the JB update on my 7.0
Way better WiFi signal, and seems to run a little faster and I really like the new screen customization, just makes everything look cleaner and more tidy.
On the downside, like on my GS3 I have experienced more battery usage.
Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Turn of background data in Google currents that will help some

lakland

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I am giving a second opportunity to jb. I first installed via kies and was behaving erratic. I roll back to ics for a while, and then I did the OTA upgrade. Still I can see som lag on changing pages. Wifi have better reception. Lets see how it goes. Today I have to force power shutdown because the tab stop working. Lets see how it goes now, so far not real happy with it but let wait a couple of weeks.

mb190e

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Since the last update, Kies won't recognise any of our three devices any more so I gave up and uninstalled it. Therefore it won't be bugging me for an update. I'm happy with the UI and the speed I've got so I won't be updating to JB. Thanks for the warning. My original iPod still works. When present phones/pads fail - it feels like that will be soon - getting cheap dumnphones and maybe an iPad after the price drops below $200. (Conclusion: Samsung/Bada don't know how to do software. Google wants to own Android and the world. None of this technology really works... at least never the way you'd need it or expect it to and it never lives up to its advertising. Sorry but I'm not playing anymore)

fcjr77

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been running JB for a few days now and actually like the layout and the buttons much better. It feels faster to me. I hated the old layout. It was pretty blah.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Google wants to own Android and the world. None of this technology really works... at least never the way you'd need it or expect it to and it never lives up to its advertising. Sorry but I'm not playing anymore

First, I come from the angle that I have seen no issues with Android yet. Always stable. I did have some issues with performance when I used underpowered hardware (on a couple of previous phones) but on my current phone, and the Galaxy Tab 2 I have seen no issues.

However, is Apple really the benevolent savior of technology??? II think not, corporate greed is going to exist behind any huge technological movement.

I believe part of the problem with Android is that too many developers are creating mods, and then people start clamoring for an Android version that has the function "off the shelf". This leads to updates far too frequently (in my opinion). Apple has no such issue since they have locked the OS down to satisfy their (repeat after me) corporate greed... Plus, Android runs on a variety of hardware (with mods by the carriers and/or manufacturers) so it isn't like the monolithic Apple empire. In the Apple universe, you get get the pleasure of paying Apple extra for an Apple device simply because it is Apple... then you run an OS written and controlled by (do you believe this?) Apple. Once you buy the apple hardware and software you are locked into the Apple/iTunes universe at least as deeply as Google locks you into their universe, and why (in both cases)???? You've got it... corporate greed. Of course, Amazon has figured out how to use Android and make it play only in their own universe with the Kindle Fire line... and why? (I think we all know).

I know it is a derogatory term, but I am not against corporate greed since corporations exist for the sole purpose of making money. I don't blame an entity for doing what it was created to do (on either side). However to abandon Android because Google wants to corner the technology market just to turn to Apple seems non-intuitive to me.

I personally think that if Google or Apple (or Microsoft or Amazon or ... ) could create even more sheeple with their marketing they would do it. And buy up the competitors. And sue others into oblivion. They do it now, of course they're going to keep doing it.

But I digress... Enjoy the iUniverse.

nancyt22

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi...I've had it now for about two weeks. At first I wasn't crazy about the change with the notification bar...but I do like the layout a lot better. I like that along w/the app grid in the upper rt yo have an add'l 4 icons that carry over to every screen. I have a lot of photo apps and music so have made folders for the apps I use most often and this way they are not cluttering the screen. My tab seems to be running faster as well...nt

pirson

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
For the Apple critics: I know they're irritating, try to trap you into their systems with deliberate incompatibilities (plugs a different shape, upside down, no USB link on the ipad, silly iTunes for standard data transmission, etc) but after 20 years of Windows then Android, I just bought a Macbook. Not a religious experience, but wish I'd done it sooner. To compare it with a Dell or HP (or Chinese cheapie Android - which I've just given up on .. lots of fun to fiddle, but 3 out of 4 gone back in 3 weeks with hardware failure) is to compare a Lucky Star with a Merc. It's exquisitely built and WORKS. The OS is wonderfully integrated and sensible. Could do without some of the cutesy wobbly icons as I brush over them, and the probably-doomed-but-your-stuck-with-the-ports tricks like "Thunderbolt" ... they're bearable. Hate to admit it, but it's worth the price. And with slicker cofunction with Windows, easy double boot, easy bootup from attached HD, etc. .... you can easily have the best of both worlds. No wonder it's doing well. MS has lost it.

Google's Android is rubbish beside Apple. What makes it fun is what makes it makes it not fun ... everybody having a go, and no one in charge. I wouldn't buy a car put together in a backyard from a hundred bits from here and there, but for years I've been buying computers like that. The fun is over. If your crap car crashes you're in strife. If your crap computer crashes it's not fatal ... but ENOUGH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz