Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7 inch) won't charge or turn on.

kathryn hatley

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I got my SG tab 2 a month ago. Had been working perfectly. Yesterday I put it in the charge (the factory charger that came with it) at 20% charge. Left it on charger all afternoon and through the night. Looked at it this morning and it wouldn't turn on. I put it back on charger. When i pushed the power button to see if it would come on, the picture of the battery appears with a "loading" circle on it then looks like its charging but then goes off. It keeps repeating. I have not left it in extreme heat or cold. Hasn't been dropped or got wet. It just started doing this. Also I got it at Wal-Mart and I didn't get an extended warranty with it.

UPDATE!!! I got the back off and pulled out the battery. Left battery out for an hour. Put battery back in. Left power off and plugged into charger. Is currently charging and turned on. We will see if this fixed it completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung galaxy tab 2 7in wont charge or turn on.

Your battery is dead. You may have to try another charger and leave it on charge for a while before you turn it on! I have had this problem when I forgot to charge my tab and the battery was completely dead!

SingleAction

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Kathryn, out of curiosity what did you use to open the back? I thought the battery wasn't user replaceable.

Dica Cooper

May 29, 2013
Visit site

Now when mine went offline like that it WAS fully charged when it went offline. I've had it plugged in for 3 days w/various USB charger that came w/it the wall charger that came with it but nothing. Like you, I bought mine from the store also. I've only had it for a few months and its really frustrating.

umarali123

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Hi!
This happened to me before quite a few times.The way I fixed it is tried some random stuff. I just kept hold of the power button with the volume buttons then let go and just kept pressing them randomly. Then the screen didn't come on for a few seconds and then I turned the plug off and back on and there you go, it worked for me! Don't know if it worked for you. I just got annoyed then just tried random stuff to see if it works and it did.

umarali123

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Just let me know if it works or not. The way this problem occured for me is I took the USB out of the Samsung adaptor and plugged it in an HTC adaptor. Just keep it in the adaptor it came from and don't use any other USB's in your Samsung Tablet Adaptor.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

If you run the battery all the way down, the Tab-2 starts off in a very slow charge mode. It will not turn on until the battery reaches a certain voltage. After the battery reaches that state of charge then the battery will charge with a high rate until fully charged. All this is done to protect the Tab-2 and the battery. Lion and Lipo batteries are very dangerous if charged improperly! That is why Phones and Tablets have the charger built in! They can sense the battery charge state and temperature, slowing down the charge rate if the battery gets too hot!

Jade Skralskis

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

My Samsung galxy tab 2 (10 inch) battery died on saturday 22nd may, so i
charged it on sunday 23rd for an hour or two, it came up with the picture of a battery
which i thought was perfectly normal, so i took it off charge and pressed the turning on button
and it wouldn't turn on, so i pressed it down for 10 seconds, so i put it on charge for one night,
and tried turning it on in the morning 24th and it wouldn't turn on so i left it, and i came back from school
at 3:30pm and i charged it until 5:00 and took it out and tried turning it on and it wouldnt turn on
i oressed it down and still it wouldn't turn on.
Do i need a new battery even though when charge it it comes with a battery sign and it keeps appearing and
disapeering. And how do you get the case off to take out the battery.
:'(

Rebecca Scott1

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

Kathryn - Did this fix work for you? I have the same issue. Charged it, now will not turn on. Please let me know how to take off the back and access the battery if this worked for you!

Thanks,
Rebecca

budgiesmith

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Hi, I had the same problem with a newish Tab 2 7inch. When the battery got very low the mains charger simply would not charge it. The solution I found was to charge it with a 12V car charger in the car. maybe the voltage is a little higher here which overrides the sensor in the charging system. Now, I try not to let the charge drop too far when using it.
I am also interested in how to open the Tab 2 7inch, as Recently I dropped it into water and am getting some intermittent problems. I would like to check and clean the inside. Thanks!

Wally Zacherle

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

12v did it for me. today i tried the computer, TV,ps3, direct TV box,lg sound bar and two different wall chargers one factory and one for an s3.same output of 5v. i think the mA is different though. for some reason the 4$ USB dongle in the car charges it.a different one that i keep in the work truck works also.the last time this happened i used the one in the work truck. it sits probably for 3 weeks with a full or dead battery. so it'll be a fully drained battery till i use it again.

cougar2shoes

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

My issue sounds exactly like yours. The picture of the battery came on, however, the progress line that goes across the battery only went to about 33%. I THOUGHT it was charging because when I plugged it into the OEM charger, the battery pic would come on. Two days later I still couldn't charge it or turn it on. I called Costco Concierge (these guys are so nice to deal with) They couldn't come up with anything and I was sure I would be sending my tab back. Costco put me in touch with Samsung and Samsung ran through the various button pushing procedures and then said, yes, send it back. Then the tech proceeded to read the caveat that if it was the cord or the wall wart causing the problem, they would not cover it. I spoke with a friend who has the identical tablet purchased at the same time from Costco. I took my tablet, charging cord and wall wart over to his place. First he plugged charger cord and wart into his system and his into mine. My IMMEDIATELY began to charge and his would not charge. We then used my cable and his wall wart and all charged well. Then we tried my wall wart on his cable and his tab and nada. OK, we now had it narrowed down to a bad wall wart. Happily, I called Costco back and they strong armed Samsung into sending me a new charger. Anyway, try plugging the tablet into the USB on your computer, or another 5V 2A usb charger to see if Samsung may have just built a bunch of faulty wall warts

Squid_TEGH

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

I followed some of the advice on here, namely to plug the charging cable into a different charger.
Straight away, the tab powered on and started charging properly. Now I can turn it on again.
Not only that, but now I've plugged it back into the original charger, it continues to charge properly. The battery was apparently 0% when it started charging so I must have left it plugged into my PC or something.
Glad we fixed it, I haven't had much luck with tech recently. Dunno why the advice works, but it seems to work all the same :).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I followed some of the advice on here, namely to plug the charging cable into a different charger.
Straight away, the tab powered on and started charging properly. Now I can turn it on again.
Not only that, but now I've plugged it back into the original charger, it continues to charge properly. The battery was apparently 0% when it started charging so I must have left it plugged into my PC or something.
Glad we fixed it, I haven't had much luck with tech recently. Dunno why the advice works, but it seems to work all the same :).

In case no one has said so, Welcome to the forums!
Keep this in mind...a PC USB port has a much lower power output than an actual charger. In the case of a tablet, you can easily drain it while plugged in.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

BabyLoveSosa123

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem but a little more complicated and what I did was press the buttons down for 10 seconds or so and then plug it on to my laptop. I then plugged it off and then on again and now its charging. suggest if it works for you like it did for me you dont use it until after a few hours

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Chargers for phones and USB ports will only provide a couple hundred milliamps. (.2 Amps!) The GT-2 can draw more than 700 milliamps (.7Amps) when being charged but the charger has a couple resistors inside that tell the GT-2 that it is capable of providing that much current! The charger that comes with the GT-2 is able to provide that much current and has the necessary sensors to allow the GT-2 to draw that much current. This protects the small wall wart and your computers USB port from trying to draw too much current.

Car chargers can be rated as high as 2 Amps and will allow a faster charge than the USB port or the small wall wart! It is best to use a charger designed specifically for the Galaxy Tab 2

Wwalding

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Chargers for phones and USB ports will only provide a couple hundred milliamps. (.2 Amps!) The GT-2 can draw more than 700 milliamps (.7Amps) when being charged but the charger has a couple resistors inside that tell the GT-2 that it is capable of providing that much current! The charger that comes with the GT-2 is able to provide that much current and has the necessary sensors to allow the GT-2 to draw that much current. This protects the small wall wart and your computers USB port from trying to draw too much current.

Car chargers can be rated as high as 2 Amps and will allow a faster charge than the USB port or the small wall wart! It is best to use a charger designed specifically for the Galaxy Tab 2

Plugging in to car charger worked for me. I have lost the official charger. And have been using various phone charges.. But it just stopped charging one day. I did moved it the car and its charging now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yedhu Krishna Menon

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Hi,

Everything got a solution, nothing is impossible.

Well, I faced the same problem last night , so came up with a solution as well.

"Press the Volume-Up and Volume-Down together for 10 secs , the system would be get rebooted automatically , however the charge would be very low. So plug into the charger for next 1.5/2 hours."

If your TAB is discharging , say 12% remaining, plugin immediately. This case mainly happens when your TAB eats the last token , that's the "critical battery".

Enjoy the android experience :)

Regards,
Yedhu